Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Last night my boyfriend took me out to the Musso & Frank Grill in Hollywood (yep, the one suggested in Classic Style) and was all decked out for me, wearing his vintage tie, nice trousers, a dress shirt, his pocket watch and his very first fedora! He was so handsome! I dressed up too (vintage-inspired), but decided to forgo the girdle and stockings because I had been wearing them all day at school and was sick of it (something I immediately regretted, I feel so naked without them now!).

Anyway, when we first walked in the door some man rushed past saying "Great tie! Nice dress!", and we thought he worked there since he was moving so fast! But as we were eating, we noticed him and his wife sitting at a table near us. When we got up to leave, they called us over and introduced themselves and said how nice it is to see young folks dressing vintage these days. It was so nice, they were terrible friendly! I actually was wondering if he was from the Lounge!

Then later that nice while we were waiting to cross the street, a car slowed down to take a right with all these 20-something's in it waving and screamed "You guys look hot!". Now maybe they were joking, but I like to give them the benefit of the doubt, because we did make a mighty fine looking couple that night!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I had to to a presentation for my Ed class, and I had gotten my pretty geranium dress in the night before*squee:D

I ignored the fact that it had been snowing all week and wore it happily, as I decided to go first and get it out of the way, my prof called me up,"First up Lisa!" and as I walked past said "Who wore a pretty dress just for the occasion, extra marks for dressing nicely!lol ." I said thanks and joked that it had probably been someone's curtains before it was ever my dress, and he said that I looked very nice anyway. and then a little while after, another girl from on her way up to present said "I'm sorry guys, I didn't wear anything as nice as Lisa did.":D

I was sooooooo nervous up there it totally made my day:D

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These are such great stories.

I usually get told I look like someone's mom, cousin or sister when I trouble to dress vintage. I look very average and people ask me all the time "Don't I know you?"

Vintage Betty

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
i was wearing my WWII wool overcoat all buttoned up when i walked into work the other morning and two people said that i looked like "somebody in a Prince movie." i replied "only if Prince fought in the Battle of the Buldge" and walked away, shaking my head the whole time...

roots66

One of the Regulars
SpitfireXIV said:
i was wearing my WWII wool overcoat all buttoned up when i walked into work the other morning and two people said that i looked like "somebody in a Prince movie." i replied "only if Prince fought in the Battle of the Buldge" and walked away, shaking my head the whole time...

Perhaps they were referring to Under the Cherry Moon, which I've never seen but which I believe was set in the '30s or '40s?

Kimberly

Practically Family
I have yet to go completely vintage and I usually mix it up with current clothes. I get a lot of compliments especially from women. They want to know where I buy my clothes and think I have a lot of money. lol

I was just at my mothers house and my sisters fiance says it looks as if I shop at upscale boutiques in NYC. I told him that's because vintage clothes were made well and impeccably tailored.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lizzies Gee Up

LizzieMaine said:
A guy at the theatre last night was looking me over, and finally came up to me and said "Hey, you look like you just stepped out of the past!" Ordinarily I just smile and say thank you, but it was the fourth time in an hour's time that somebody's said that to me, and I guess I was feeling kind of punchy, because I just nodded and said, with wide eyes, "It was the strangest thing. I was walking down Main Street here, one day in 1941, and suddenly it got all foggy. And when the fog lifted, I was -- here. It's terrible! Everything's so expensive -- and everybody dresses funny! And I don't know how to get home!" I punctuated that last with a little sob for added effect.

The look on his face was priceless as he backed slowly away...

Top Gee Up Lizzie wish I had been a fly on the wall!

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
My algebra teacher is quite elderly, and sometimes tells us things about her childhood. She is a very nice lady.
I wore vintage this last class to show her some of the clothing I have, and she was very complimentary but made the weirdest comment I've gotten thus far:

"Are you preaching? You look just like a rabbi!"

...do rabbis dress in double breasted peak lapels and wear wide brim fedoras? I wasn't aware of this, lol... maybe she knew some Jews who dress well:)

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
A guy at the theatre last night was looking me over, and finally came up to me and said "Hey, you look like you just stepped out of the past!" Ordinarily I just smile and say thank you, but it was the fourth time in an hour's time that somebody's said that to me, and I guess I was feeling kind of punchy, because I just nodded and said, with wide eyes, "It was the strangest thing. I was walking down Main Street here, one day in 1941, and suddenly it got all foggy. And when the fog lifted, I was -- here. It's terrible! Everything's so expensive -- and everybody dresses funny! And I don't know how to get home!" I punctuated that last with a little sob for added effect.

The look on his face was priceless as he backed slowly away...

Great one, Lizzie!

I find it very odd that it is those who choose to dress in older, classier styles that get the "out of place" comments. If you had a mohawk and nose piercing and tattoos, no one would have said a thing[huh]

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
It's sad but true....

I live on a college campus with tons of "alternative"-style kids.... yet there are so many "different" people that they all look the same. And even though my dress is old fashioned and conservative, I'm the one who turns heads and gets comments! lol

Nashoba

One Too Many
It's strange but I've gotten to the point where if I'm wearing something that isn't vintage or vintage inspired people who know me ask if everything is okay. The strangest comment I ever got was I was at the mall and wearing a snood with a wool skirt and tailored blouse and heels and a gentlemen stopped me and asked me if I was Jewish. I was raised Jewish so I answered yes and he told me that I looked just like the women he remembers from the small community he grew up in. Wasn't quite the look I was going for, but I suppose if it triggered a pleasant memory for him...[huh]

Mojito

One Too Many
Nashoba said:
It's strange but I've gotten to the point where if I'm wearing something that isn't vintage or vintage inspired people who know me ask if everything is okay.
Something similar happens to me - when I'm not wearing vintage, people still assume I am. I was at a work 'do' a couple of weeks ago, wearing a Lea Mathews skirt. Admittedly she does do everything by hand and much of it is vintage inspired, but I didn't think this skirt particularly looked of another era - it was near-white heavy cotton with a fringe and a geometric shaped pattern along the hem comprised of tiny, tiny silver sequins overlaid like fishscales. I was asked by several people if it was a vintage skirt.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Mojito said:
Something similar happens to me - when I'm not wearing vintage, people still assume I am. I was at a work 'do' a couple of weeks ago, wearing a Lea Mathews skirt. Admittedly she does do everything by hand and much of it is vintage inspired, but I didn't think this skirt particularly looked of another era - it was near-white heavy cotton with a fringe and a geometric shaped pattern along the hem comprised of tiny, tiny silver sequins overlaid like fishscales. I was asked by several people if it was a vintage skirt.

It's funny how when people get to know you for a certain look they get confused when they see you in anything other than that look. My husband's Marines have only seen me wear jeans a handful of times and it really throws them off every time they do. They're so used to me in 40's attire dresses and skirts that it's a big stinkin deal if I show up in jeans and a tee shirt without my hair perfectly coifed in some vintage style

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Not so much a comment, but today in Ick-Mart we had a mother and a daughter behind us in line who were OBVIOUSLY whispering and giggling about mine and my husband's appearances.

They then got out their cell phones and tried to slyly take photos of us. Since they were RIGHT BEHIND US in line, it was quite obvious. I waved to them and they looked away in embarrassment. Then my husband said "Would you like me to pose for you?" and the mom got this embarrassed/horrified look on her face! I just started laughing so hard. We made them feel really awkward!

I'm hoping they'll think twice when they feel the need to make fun of people, but since it was a mother (adult who should know better) and a daughter (who has such a mother) I doubt they will.

timorous me

Familiar Face
a little off-topic... but a little on-topic too ;-)

i had dinner this evening with my boyfriends grandmother (who previously HATED me). we bonded over clothing! :)

just more proof that it's a great way to make nice with old ladies.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Jovan said:
Just sneaked into the Powder Room again (Shame on me! I should get slapped!) to say that if I saw any of you ladies on the street, I'd compliment you highly. :)

Thanks Jovan!! :D

I had on my 40's wool swing coat and a vintage hat paired with a pair of jeans and Mary Janes and 3 people complimented me! :eek: I also wore a hat to Easter last week and all the women told me I looked very Jackie O or Grace Kelly.

I have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of women out there who are closet hat lovers, but are not brave enough to wear one. I am new to wearing hats myself and can't get over the compliments and stares I am getting from them (hence, my conclusion). I am going to a bridal shower tomorrow and will be wearing a vintage pill box hat. The shower is for my cousin who is kind of like the Sex in the City type fashionista (even lives in NYC :D ), so it will be interesting to see what kind of reception I get from her and her friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic