Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

Lenore

Practically Family
Helysoune said:
That's so incredibly RUDE of them! How did it ever come about that people think it's alright to be so invasive with expectant mothers anyway?? :eek: My knee jerk reaction would have been a right hook to the offender's temple. Icky!

I don't know where this started, but it happened all the time to my friend when we were pregnant. No one tried it with me. I don't know if it was because I exuded a "touch me and you'll lose a hand" vibe or the shirt I wore often that said "No, You can NOT touch my belly." lol

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Just another example of how the modern touchy-feely-open culture has gotten completely out of control. And whoever came up with the phrase "Baby Bump" needs to be dealt with severely.

I quite agree. It's bad enough seeing women on billboards with next to nothing on and teenage girls walking down the street in skirts short enough to see what they had for breakfast but it just seems unseemly when a pregnant woman does it. Is nothing sacred!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
And whoever came up with the phrase "Baby Bump" needs to be dealt with severely.

Baby Bump doesn't bother me so much but if there is one phrase that makes me feel ill its "Yummy Mummy" - I can't explain how much I hate it. :rage: In essence it's a watered down way of saying that four letter phrase for mothers you find attractive - if you get me.

Lillemor

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Just another example of how the modern touchy-feely-open culture has gotten completely out of control. And whoever came up with the phrase "Baby Bump" needs to be dealt with severely.

It may have been a joke and maybe they don't have a strong following but there's a movement in Denmark to preserve the handshake. I'm not much for strangers or even distant relatives hugging me so I'm all for preserving the handshake. God forbid anyone had actually touched my bump any of the times I'd been pregnant!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lillemor said:
It may have been a joke and maybe they don't have a strong following but there's a movement in Denmark to preserve the handshake. I'm not much for strangers or even distant relatives hugging me so I'm all for preserving the handshake. God forbid anyone had actually touched my bump any of the times I'd been pregnant!

I hope they get a good strong following with that -- a handshake seems much more respectful and civil than presuming the liberty of a random hug, or even worse, one of those ridiculous Hollywood air-kisses. In the New England culture, physical contact presumes a level of intimacy that goes quite a ways beyond just random acquaintance, and unless you're married to someone, or are a very close relative or friend, you keep your hands to yourself. So touching a random pregnant woman's belly would be seen on the same level as dancing naked in the street.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Miss Golightly said:
Baby Bump doesn't bother me so much but if there is one phrase that makes me feel ill its "Yummy Mummy" - I can't explain how much I hate it. :rage: In essence it's a watered down way of saying that four letter phrase for mothers you find attractive - if you get me.

I've never heard Yummy Mummy before.
I can't imagine saying it with a straight face.

Lillemor said:

I save my hugs for close friends and loved ones. Is it really uncommon for people to shake hands now?
I never thought you would hug someone you just met. [huh]

Lillemor

One Too Many
I had a real estate agent in his...30s shake his hand back and forth over my hair like you might do with a toddler when I was 24 and very pregnant with our second son.:eek: Many people seem to think that petite ladies (more so when I was a petite plus size) assume that we are asking to be hugged and have our backs and arms rubbed.:eusa_doh: [huh]

Well, even if they're friends of my in-laws or my mother, I don't think that a hug should be assumed to be natural and certainly not obligatory though I sometimes get that feeling.

If I wear my hair straight and loose, people with a different hair texture also assume it's okay to touch my hair to get a feel of it. I've never asked to get a feel of someone's wavy, fine, blonde hair because it's different from my hair structure. I AM hair proud but my hair is hands off! That's one of the reasons I prefer tight updos when I go out though I'll let my hair fall loose as soon as I get home.

I wish the handshake and gloves would come back.

miss_elise

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: I made my friend a bag with a pic of buddha on it when she was pregnant...
It said "Don't you dare rub my belly - I'm not freakin' Buddha"...

not very polite or vintage... but it was amusing for a while...

:eek:fftopic:

Antje

One Too Many
cecil said:
Hahahahaha! What a great line!

I get Marilyn Monroe alot. Not sure what that's about, I'm as flat chested as they come and have long reddish hair, but I'll take what I can get I spose.

I also get a lot of Marilyn comments and I am also flat chested and have very orange red hair,
but I take it as a compliment,
I also get a lot of comments about my Dita style,
well I could get compaired to a lot worse i guess

glamour-girl

One of the Regulars
miss_elise said:
:eek:fftopic: I made my friend a bag with a pic of buddha on it when she was pregnant...
It said "Don't you dare rub my belly - I'm not freakin' Buddha"...

not very polite or vintage... but it was amusing for a while...

i could have used such a bag when i was pregnant, maby you should start a buddah-bag buisness ...;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Darhling said:
I just get 'chic' and 'elegant' a lot lately, I don't think people actually recognize the vintageness of it at the moment.

My experience with my fellow countrymen- and women is that they're very up on contemporary styles and very brave in that area if they're younger or live in a metropolitan area (not where I live) but that they have a really short memory of historical styles.lol I'm shocked at how many Danes, even younger ones don't even recognize alternative styles; gothic fx.

When 1940s was in, they assumed anything with retro flair was 1940s. When 60s and now 70s was/is in, it's the same. They assume anything that resembles a retro style is 1960s or 70s even if they've lived through those decades and the ones before! *shocked*.

In all fairness, some people just never cared much about style and would've worn what most anyone wore at any time without giving it much thought. Fair enough. We all have our different interests.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Antje said:
I also get a lot of Marilyn comments and I am also flat chested and have very orange red hair,
but I take it as a compliment,
I also get a lot of comments about my Dita style,
well I could get compaired to a lot worse i guess

It is funny what peoples perceptions are and who they think you look like and it sometimes leaves you scratching your head saying hmmmmm.

When I wear my hair up I get a lot of Audrey Hepburn comments but that makes sense because we do have similar body types, face shape and have dark hair and all. Plus she was from Amsterdam which is where my maternal side of my family is from (birth mother's family - I am adopted so not to be confused with my mom that raised me).

When my hair is down (long with bangs) I hear Barbara Stanwyck (sp?) but that is from older people or younger people that watch a lot of old time movies. Since a lot more people are familiar with Audrey Hepburn I do hear that more often then Barbara Stanwyck so I think when people see vintage then they pull from thier heads what is most familiar. I have been compared to Betty Boop too when my hair was short and dark (which goes back to familiar I think).

Brooksie

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Do you think in 50 or 60 years there will be folks who dress retro 2000's?
And do you think they'll get weird comments from people, too?

Oh, I love your Angelia Jolie look.
Hey, Britany Spears!

Brooksie

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
And do you think they'll get weird comments from people, too?

Oh, I love your Angelia Jolie look.
Hey, Britany Spears!

That is an interesting question - what is the trend now will be considered retro in 20 years so yes down the road people (fashion designers may bring back this look again) as far as wearing these exact clothes that are in now and them being passed down through the generations no. We are living in a very disposable society and the clothes that are around now are not made to last they are made with the thought in mind: if they do not last the masses will buy more. If people are wearing clothing from this era in several years from now I do not believe that people will be saying hey I like your ---insert the name of who ever is hot right now because so far none of them have had a truely memorable or timeless style such as Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn. For example we have had several resurgences of fashions and when the 70's came back into style you never heard say wow I love that Jacquiline Smith (I was thinking Farrah because she was more popular but I could not bear to put her name down with her just passing and all) look on you or when the 80's came back when all of the super models were big we never did hear anybody say hey, Cindy Crawford!

Brooksie

Brooksie

One Too Many
Brooksie said:
That is an interesting question - what is the trend now will be considered retro in 20 years so yes down the road people (fashion designers may bring back this look again) as far as wearing these exact clothes that are in now and them being passed down through the generations no. We are living in a very disposable society and the clothes that are around now are not made to last they are made with the thought in mind: if they do not last the masses will buy more. If people are wearing clothing from this era in several years from now I do not believe that people will be saying hey I like your ---insert the name of who ever is hot right now because so far none of them have had a truely memorable or timeless style such as Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn. For example we have had several resurgences of fashions and when the 70's came back into style you never heard say wow I love that Jacquiline Smith (I was thinking Farrah because she was more popular but I could not bear to put her name down with her just passing and all) look on you or when the 80's came back when all of the super models were big we never did hear anybody say hey, Cindy Crawford!

Brooksie

I thought of some more interesting things regarding this - I did not go for the 70's and 80's trends the second time around so I personally did not hear anybody compare me to anybody from the 70's and the 80's so i thought maybe that is not a fair statement and that got me to thinking that when the style of the 70's and the 80's came back people were not going head to toe from that era so someone may be sporting a 70's pantsuit in the 90's with some 70's platforms with a modern Gucci handbag and modern earth tone make up and a Jennifer Aniston haircut and not a Farrah 70's feather do.

B

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Odalisque said:

Kids born in the 90's are dressing 80's now! :eusa_doh:
It does seem the 80s is the new cut off for 'vintage'. When ever I see a 'classic' look done up for the new generation, its always rooted in the 80s.
Vintage generally comes in 30 year cycles.
The thing about the 2000s is there isnt a real definitive style. Its all cast off from prior decades, and thats just sad.
*sigh*

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn