Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
On the topic of comments:

I went to my cousins baby shower today with my mother. I had on this wonderful goldish and ivory colored dress on from the 40's that I just recently picked up at a local yard sale.

As I'm getting into my mothers SUV with the presents. She looks at me and says:

Why are u wearing that dirty disgusting piece of trash? You need to be wearing something more MODERN! It's not the 1940's anymore, it's 2009.

All I could say was is that she just didn't get it. I wanted to look like a girl from the 40's.

She made me feel horrible. I just wanted to cry. Like I don't mind others saying whatever cuz there negative opinions don't matter. But coming from someone I care about really hurts.:( :(

Elaina

One Too Many
GD my mom hasn't had anything nice to say about me for years. Last count, I was a drug addict, a lesbian and have a warrant out for my arrest (none is true) and she tells everyone else she knows this.

It's very hard when it happens. You have my empathy, but about the only thing you can do is rise above it and try not to let it ruin your day. I'm sure you looked beautiful.

SayCici

Practically Family
GlamourDoll said:
On the topic of comments:

I went to my cousins baby shower today with my mother. I had on this wonderful goldish and ivory colored dress on from the 40's that I just recently picked up at a local yard sale.

As I'm getting into my mothers SUV with the presents. She looks at me and says:

Why are u wearing that dirty disgusting piece of trash? You need to be wearing something more MODERN! It's not the 1940's anymore, it's 2009.

All I could say was is that she just didn't get it. I wanted to look like a girl from the 40's.

She made me feel horrible. I just wanted to cry. Like I don't mind others saying whatever cuz there negative opinions don't matter. But coming from someone I care about really hurts.:( :(
I'm so sorry! I'm sure you looked absolutely beautiful. I'll never understand why people can go out of their way to be rude, but rarely to be kind.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Mothers know how to push their daughters' buttons, alas. My ma once refused to enter a restaurant with me until I "took that stupid hat off." I said "Fine, I'm going in, and I'll bring you a doggie bag." And that was the last I heard about my "stupid hat."

kittypackard

Familiar Face
Good heavens, girlies!! I'm so, so, so sorry that you've had to experience things like that!!

I'm feeling a twinge of guilt since, as I do go vintage frequently, I'm also a very much a t-shirt and jeans sort of California gal (yes, yes, I know, it's lazy, and unkept, and thoroughly unladylike--but i'm up at 6:30 each morning to be at work by 8:00 and I've found it easier for the sort of very active job I have ... lots of running to and fro-- yes, so did Rosalind Russell, but she is a much classier dame than I can ever hope to be. And I daresay, I tad less lazy.)

And all I can say is that I'm so, so sorry! On behalf of print-wearing T-shirt donning girls everywhere. Any t-shirt and jeans gal who dares make such torrid comments towards your undeniably classy style is simply jealous-- roiling in their own contradictions.

For there is nothing more appealing, nothing more ... covetous, than a vintage lifestyle.

I don the Levis 501 and Print-Ts and ponytails as we speak (please don't ex-communicate me) and only wish that I could substitute them with the
sort of fabulously wonderful vintage wardrobe all you swell dames have!

So the next time such a thing happens? And a print-wearing faded jeans gal (like me) is sneering at you?

Laugh them square in the face!

It will work.

Trust me!

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
Thanks ladies! I guess I just really needed to vent. I really try not to let it get the best of me. I just figured she(my mother) would understand after all these years and actually be civil to me since I haven't seen her in so long.

But on a happier note...I got alot of possitive compliments from the rest of my family on my dress.

Elaina

One Too Many
I wouldn't feel too bad Kitty. I have on as we speak a dress I made from a 1970 pattern. Granted, it's a simple shirtwaist with a zipper instead of buttons, but I wear clothes from 1920-Now. I dress to suit my shape and lifestyle, which sometimes includes jeans and a t-shirt. My hair is just up in curlers right now, since I got it dirty today and had to wash it.

And when I have to mow the lawn, you don't want to know me. I just look ratty.

kittypackard

Familiar Face
Darhling said:
I got some amazing compliments last night, the best one was from a guy who said 'oh wow, you're very burlesque!' while I passed him..

oh wow! but, i must admit, judging from the photos you've posted of your truly stupendous style, those comments are hardly surprising! your style is truly scrumptious and, even if people don't verbalize their thoughts on your style, i'm sure they're thinking it!

just saw the post on your blog that you're moving to London!

Oh how I wish I could have your life!!

Congrats and best of luck!!!

:)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
kittypackard said:
oh wow! but, i must admit, judging from the photos you've posted of your truly stupendous style, those comments are hardly surprising! your style is truly scrumptious and, even if people don't verbalize their thoughts on your style, i'm sure they're thinking it!

just saw the post on your blog that you're moving to London!

Oh how I wish I could have your life!!

Congrats and best of luck!!!

:)

Thank you Kitty!! That is some pretty amazing compliments right there!!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Positive Experience dressing vintage

We can't afford to dress vintage all of the time so when we do it is usually a special occasion. The last time we dressed vintage (in public) was on New Years eve. We rented a 1956 Bentley (looks like 1930s) and Nick dressed in tails with a top hat, cape, white scarf, white gloves and I dressed in a 1920s inspired gown with a real 1920s/30s glittering black floor length cape with black fox fur collar, scarf around my head, fold up 1920s feather fan, etc.

When we walked into the expensive art deco styled restaurant for dinner all heads turned to us. LOL We had some woman come to the table and tell us "You two look like New Years eve. Everyone should dress like that." It was wonderful. We felt like celebrities all night long. People actually kept asking us if they could take our photos. LOL It was a real memory maker night. The man driving the Bentley was the owner of the rental company and he had almost as much fun as we did.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
That's wonderful NicknNora, indeed everyone should do that for New Year's Eve ...and not only, if you ask me. ;)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
A walk to the grocery store (300 yards back & forth) resulted in a lot of snickers and crude whispers amongst a group of 20 something men I walked in front of, honks from two cars and the only good part was an elderly man who lifted his cap a little, which made me smile!!

Hair in bun + seamed stockings + glasses + red lips = a very visible Mai!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I get my fair share of comments, both good and bad. I find older women to be particularly sweet. One time a middle aged lady approached my fiancé and I and said "I'm sorry to interrupt you youngsters... But I think your hair is beautiful!" I was wearing it Betty Grable style, piled on top of my head, with a big white flower at the temple. :)

Young ladies around my age always want to know "HOW did you get your hair to DO that?!" Usually when its in rolls or pomped. I get comments on my makeup sometimes, too - almost always "that red lipstick is great! I'd NEVER have the courage to wear it," "I can never get my eyeliner to look like that," "Are you wearing false eyelashes?!"

Old men will lech, as I'm sure everyone knows... But they almost appear sweet compared to younger guys: "Luuuuucy! I'm hooooome!" and "Hey, look at the pin-up!" and the obligatory honks, stares, or whistles.

Either way, vintage evokes a lot of reactions!

klind65

One of the Regulars
Your best compliment to date..

What's the loveliest/ most pithy/ most enthusiastic compliment you have received on your vintage presentation?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
klind65 said:
What's the loveliest/ most pithy/ most enthusiastic compliment you have received on your vintage presentation?

At the neighbourhood pool, a mentally-challenged young man put on a huge grin, and said to all the people around him "Look! Look at the beautiful redhead! She looks like a movie star!" I gave him a kiss on the cheek :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes