Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Marc Chevalier said:
You'd live in The Truman Show? :eek:

200px-Harry-s-truman-58-766-09.jpg

Hey, why not?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
waingirl said:
I think about that all the time! Let's buy up some land and make our own "golden era" housing development. Forget the cookie cutter homes of today, we'll have wonderful nostalgic homes and cars on our streets. Some developments have strict rules, we'll have them too, everything in your yard and driveway has to be from the golden era. lol But, we would probably end up as a tourist attraction!:eusa_doh:

Hiya Waingirl!! I would move to a "golden era housing development" in a second! Many of us have actually thought about creating Our Own Vintage Town! This thread was lost in the archives, but it'd be fun to dig it out again. I recall there were some pretty good ideas as to what the town's name should be, who would be mayor, who would take on other jobs at the vintage newspaper, dress shoppe, etc.. It's a fun thread, but some of the members who posted are no longer around:( so I think it might be good to do some "vintage town restructuring".

manton

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:
I get told I look like/resemble/remind them of Billie Holiday :rolleyes:
Looking like Billie Holliday: good. Singing like Billie Holliday: very good. Living like Billie Holliday: dangerous.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Reading over some of these experiences makes me wonder if the remarks folks get might have as much to do with age as with fashion -- the idea that a younger woman who breaks the stereotype of how a younger woman is supposed to look and act nowadays is somehow an oddity. Not to generalize, but I get the feeling maybe the cultural tendency toward cattiness tends to peak somewhere around the mid-to-late twenties, and to swim against the cultural tide at that age becomes a real challenge. My sensible felt beret is off to all you who do it.

I can remember getting occasional odd looks when I was in my teens and 20s, but now that I'm past 40, I hardly ever get noticed at all, and when I do, it's always positive. (And yes, I've also gotten the "Gee you haven't changed a bit!" remarks from people who havent seen me in years!)

I think there is something to this Lizzie. I used to get many comments (curious mostly) but since sliding into my late 30s I am starting to feel rather invisible. My co-workers love the way I dress tho, and always have kind remarks. Recently I was teaching a 3-day training class and on the 3rd day a young man came up and asked "Do you make all your jackets?" (I was wearing 40s, tailored suit jackets). He had never seen anything like them. Strangers do often compliment a brooch or other jewlery. And hair flowers never fail to get a positive response from both men & women. Other than that, nothing. Not even, "Are you in a play?" which I used to get quite a lot.

And PS: my vintage town was going to be called Deco-opolis.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I get, "yeewww, how can you wear somebody else's shoes!" or " no way those are 30s" (old deadstock dontcha know!). And my most favourite bag, which is particularly stunning, doesn't even get a comment! I am woefully under commented upon I've decided, after reading this. :)

Elaina

One Too Many
I also think it's region too.

When I was living in Smyrna, GA I got one bad comment, and none when I was in Vancouver, WA. I got asked a few questions in Raleigh (mostly "where did you get that?"). When I came home, I quit the whole vintage thing all the time (and mixed not only eras, but modern and vintage), and have a lot of negative comments, same as when I've been to visit my brother in central Tenessee, and got bad comments made about me when I was in Wisconsin, but not even a glance in NYC or visiting my grandfather in LA.

And let's face it, I'm a southerner and we are all a little more inclined to talk to each other, where it's not always the case elsewhere, and that often includes good and bad.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Elaina said:
I also think it's region too.

South Jersey = Mostly bad. I get more BAD comments here than good. LOTS of stares a giggles. The "good" comments are appreciated, but they are usually awkward (ie, "That's cool! Is that from the 70s?")

North Jersey = No one even gives me a second glance!

Philly = I get mixed responses. Depends on where I go.

NYC = I'm completely invisible. I once wore a full 50s circle skirt with petticoat, "schoolmarm" cardigan, and saddle shoes with bobby sox and NO ONE asked me if I was on my way to the hop/Grease Convention.

London = Same as NYC, although my husband says he has been called "Elvis" and "Fonzie" in the streets.

Devon = My goodness, it wasn't much different than South Jersey! So many stares, but in England they aren't so mean about it. And the stares actually came from well-dressed people so they didn't bother me as much as the South Jersey stares that come from people in their oldest, dirtiest sweatpants. To be honest, I didn't know if they thought we were strange or if they were checking us out!!

Mojito

One Too Many
The only negative comment I've ever had (serious, not in jest from friends) was recently at the Art Deco festival. It was late at night, and my friend and I were walking from one venue to the next. We walked past a pub, where well-inebriated patrons had spilled onto the sidewalk. I slipped past a huge, burley bloke with a polite "pardon me" and kept walking, carrying on my conversation with my friend. He, however, was astonished that someone had walked past him (I suppose he hadn't noticed he was on a public walkway), and blurted "Where the *expletive* did that *obscene term for a woman* come from?" (and they were the most graphic and crude of expletives). Meanwhile, a female in the party shrieked gleefully "Where's the Halloween Party?"

Disappointed that I kept on walking, chatting and laughing with my friend without missing a stride, she seemed afraid I'd missed her dazzling witticism, so repeated it at louder volume. Don't know if there was a follow-up, as we kept on at the same pace and were soon at a more congenial bar (one that served an excellent Tom Collins).

It was a bit odd, as I was hardly the odd woman out - there were plenty of fellow vintage fans in the streets, cafes and restaurants. Ironically, I'd also had a drink in the same pub they were lounging around earlier in the evening, and the bar tender had enthused about how much he loved the outfit. I can't say the experience really scarred me, as I must have had hundreds of warm and enthusiastic comments on my outfits that weekend.

One of my favourites was a none-verbal compliment from little girl, about three years old. Her mother knelt down and pointed me out to her as we were walking past, and she stood wide-eyed and amazed. I laughed and had a quick chat to the mother who wanted to know about the dress, and I said my own niece was the same age and adored the outfit. As we walked away, the little girl tried to toddle after us.

My younger brother does like to tease me about wearing dead women's clothes. I've been known to turn the tables on him when I know the outfit's provenance, and tell him the name and history of the original owner.

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
The other day my husband and I were wandering around an antique mall and I noticed this guy watching us for a few minutes, He finally came up to my husband and asked if he was " Elvis" from the Legends in Concert show here. I don't think he believed him when he sad no as he kept looking and following us around. Happens a lot in Vegas. I always giggle but it drives my husband nuts lol

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
My friend recently told me about a comment she heard being made about herself. We were at a 1940 event (lots of re-enactors which was a first time experience for me!) and we had all made the effort. Anyway, whilst my friend was being 'arrested' by the 'shore patrol' she heard another woman comment "oh no - she's too fifties". She friend does love the 50s more, but she had an authentic 40s dress on and shoes - I guess you can't be authentic enough for some people!

Amber DeCadence

One of the Regulars
well I was dressed in an outfit I have worn before today, make up done as usual - the only addition being a headscarf because I didnt have time to do my hair before the school run and I got told by the school gate that I am looking very 'Christina-esque' today [huh] still made me smile though

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
South Jersey = Mostly bad. I get more BAD comments here than good. LOTS of stares a giggles. The "good" comments are appreciated, but they are usually awkward (ie, "That's cool! Is that from the 70s?")

North Jersey = No one even gives me a second glance!

Philly = I get mixed responses. Depends on where I go.

NYC = I'm completely invisible. I once wore a full 50s circle skirt with petticoat, "schoolmarm" cardigan, and saddle shoes with bobby sox and NO ONE asked me if I was on my way to the hop/Grease Convention.

London = Same as NYC, although my husband says he has been called "Elvis" and "Fonzie" in the streets.

Devon = My goodness, it wasn't much different than South Jersey! So many stares, but in England they aren't so mean about it. And the stares actually came from well-dressed people so they didn't bother me as much as the South Jersey stares that come from people in their oldest, dirtiest sweatpants. To be honest, I didn't know if they thought we were strange or if they were checking us out!!

No one really gives a second glance in the SF bay area, or if they do it is usually out of sheer interest or because they admire the outfit you are wearing and give compliments, I have never really had any negetive comments here.

But that leads me to my question, what is the deal with negetive comments? I mean its not like anyone here is dressed offensively.

I think the reason behind the negetive comments is, people are insecure with thier own images and afraid of being different.

Shearer

Practically Family
I got all dolled up this weekend with coiffed hair, red lips, a little forties skirt and sweater, seamed stockings, vintage shoes... the works.

The only person to make a comment was a nice old gentleman who works at my local Barnes and Noble.

He said, "Good for you for buying P.G. Wodehouse!" [huh]

Maybe I should start wearing a cocktail gown out to do errands.

Only Sleeping

New in Town
Hi ladies! This is my first post here!

I seem to receive generally positive comments, even if the person giving the compliment seems a bit bewildered at my ensembles.

For example, I attended a Micro Brew fest in a 1940s Wiggle Dress and heels with pincurled hair and proper purse. A man in his 60s approached me, grabbed me by the shoulders and said "Do you realize that you look like my mother?!" Taken back by my bewildered expression he added, "Um, I mean, when she was younger. Did you mean to do that?"
Of course I meant to dress this way, smarty! You think I stumbled into all of this 1940s garb on accident?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think it also depends on where you go. Ive walked around the contempo shopping area in one of my fab black knee length swing coat, mary janes, black gloves and a scarf, looking young among the populace, and I got some smiles, nods, and stares outside the Gap and Urban Outfitters.

:rolleyes:

LD

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
NicolettaRose said:
But that leads me to my question, what is the deal with negetive comments? I mean its not like anyone here is dressed offensively.

I think the reason behind the negetive comments is, people are insecure with thier own images and afraid of being different.

I don't know about others, but whenever I'm having an "off" day and don't feel like putting any effort into my appearance, I generally feel miserable and defeated while in that state. And if I just so happen to run out for milk or something and I see a well-dressed woman, I'll admit I get a bit envious :cool: I couldn't live my life being envious every single day!! ;)

And HI Amelia!! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner