Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Comments You Get When You Dress Vintage

SayCici

Practically Family
Haha, I agree, you should say something to that rude maintenance man!

I was at Jo Ann's twice this weekend (yeah.. I know) and I realized almost everyone who works there is starting to recognize me! Either as 'the girl with all the rad tattoos' or 'the 50s girl'. Once I was in the checkout line and the woman told me I "cleaned up nicely", because I was wearing a dress that day and the last time she had seen me I was wearing jeans (it had been rainy and gross).

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Lenore said:
Hello Ladies!

I've been slacking since our office building went under construction (Mostly because I don't want to mess up any of my pretty clothes) so a few of our new employees haven't seen "the Real Lenore" as my boss calls me. Since construction is nearing completion, I've started to pull a few things out and fix myself up a little more, more for me than anyone else as I'm still stuck in an empty building with a skeleton construction crew. Yesterday, I put forth the effort and did some adorable Victory Rolls, and I got the following comments.

Contractor: "Wow... very Marilyn Monroe-ish, isn't it?"

New Maintenance Man: "What's up with the Flock of Seagulls hair?"
^He ticked me off, but I didn't reply. :rage:

Today, I'm feeling very Rita Hayworthy with my pin curl set styled to perfection, and I hear:

Contractor: "So.. who is it today? Brigitte Bardot?":eusa_doh:

New Maintenance Man: "The 1950's called. They want their hairstyle back."
(Are you sensing a pattern here????)

I count the days until construction is complete and not only can I be me again, but I don't have to see Mister Meanie Maintenance but very rarely.

It's a pity, our last maintenance man always had a compliment for me.

~Lenore

If I were you, I'd tell the maintenance guy to shove it.

But I'm not much of a lady.....:rolleyes: ;)

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
SayCici said:
Haha, I agree, you should say something to that rude maintenance man!

I was at Jo Ann's twice this weekend (yeah.. I know) and I realized almost everyone who works there is starting to recognize me! Either as 'the girl with all the rad tattoos' or 'the 50s girl'. Once I was in the checkout line and the woman told me I "cleaned up nicely", because I was wearing a dress that day and the last time she had seen me I was wearing jeans (it had been rainy and gross).

Only twice? ;)

I'm known to the JoAnn's ladies too. lol I don't really wear enough of a vintage look to be the "vintage girl", but they have commented on how dressed up I look. And every so often they'll point out that they recognize my skirt fabric. :D

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Lenore said:
Hello Ladies!

I've been slacking since our office building went under construction (Mostly because I don't want to mess up any of my pretty clothes) so a few of our new employees haven't seen "the Real Lenore" as my boss calls me. Since construction is nearing completion, I've started to pull a few things out and fix myself up a little more, more for me than anyone else as I'm still stuck in an empty building with a skeleton construction crew. Yesterday, I put forth the effort and did some adorable Victory Rolls, and I got the following comments.

Contractor: "Wow... very Marilyn Monroe-ish, isn't it?"

^He ticked me off, but I didn't reply. :rage:

Today, I'm feeling very Rita Hayworthy with my pin curl set styled to perfection, and I hear:

Contractor: "So.. who is it today? Brigitte Bardot?":eusa_doh:

New Maintenance Man: "The 1950's called. They want their hairstyle back."
(Are you sensing a pattern here????)

I count the days until construction is complete and not only can I be me again, but I don't have to see Mister Meanie Maintenance but very rarely.

It's a pity, our last maintenance man always had a compliment for me.

Edited: Pulled Duplicate Signature.

Ugh. Why on earth would someone be so nasty out of the blue? Judging by his comments, you can probably figure that the nastier the insult, the nicer you look. :)

Lillemor

One Too Many
They probably don't intend to be nasty. People like that who don't think very far or deeply actually think they're funny and that anyone who chooses to stick out is asking for it.:(

No comments just odd stares and slowed down cars yesterday evening when I went for a walk. Vintage twin-set, vintage costume 3 strand pearl necklace and studs, modern a-line skirt, modern white hosiery, flat black shoes because the terrain around here is neither heel nor even wedge friendly but the hosiery seemed to be what everyone was starring at. I was actually very patriotically dressed in red/white aside from my walking shoes. There were muffled laughs and one car very sharply cut the corner of a sidewalk even though the driver was driving very slowly.

Then two guys followed me in their car and were whistling and making wolf sounds which actually frightened me a bit. Thankfully, it was sunny though windy and there were more people out than you'll usually see around here in the evening.

I'm pretty sure that had a worn the same outfit with bare legs, no one would've batted an eyelid. I'll make a point of wearing white hosiery or cheap unseamed stockings more often!:p I save my better stockings for special occassions because I can't afford to replace them regularly. I get some odd stares nearly daily because I often wear white bobby socks.

I want white shoes next year! I have white sandals. I'm going for a walk again this evening. I can't go for a walk in the morning like I usually do because my middle one's home with chicken pox.

Lenore

Practically Family
I got dressed today!

Not overly vintage, but slightly inspired. With the pincurl set and makeup, I put on a simple scoop like v-neck white shirt (a dressy teeshirt, my husband calls it), a pair of grey wide legged sailor pants, and a pair of dark red leather peep toes.

I feel fantastic. Much more so than I do in those horrible jeans I've been wearing to the office. (Construction really puts a stitch in a lady's wardrobe choices.) In fact, I feel so confidant that I look good, let Mister Meanie Maintenance come make a sour comment at me. I still haven't decided if I will be a lady about it and politely ignore it, or if I should zing him back. ;)

Edited: Removed duplicate word.
Note to self: Do not post before your morning caffeine.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Lenore said:

My ex-husband asked me that the first time I attempted rolls. Note the added emphasis on the ex part... :D

Ignore the trolls, they just didn't get either loved enough or beat enough as children.

cecil

A-List Customer
Helysoune said:
Ignore the trolls, they just didn't get either loved enough or beat enough as children.

Hahahahaha! What a great line!

I get Marilyn Monroe alot. Not sure what that's about, I'm as flat chested as they come and have long reddish hair, but I'll take what I can get I spose.

My favourite was from a tipsy friend at a club. She saw me and yelled "YOU ARE MAKING DITA VON TEESE LOOK LIKE S--- TONIGHT!!" Definitely not true, but well-intentioned and it had me in stitches. lol

crazydaisy

Practically Family
I went to my balboa class in a different location to where I used to go, and one of the guys there asked me I was a professional. Smart arse! I was wearing high waisted trousers with a spotty shirt tucked in and had my hair up in rolls with some flowers in, all reproduction. Very ordinary, really. And if any of you ladies wonders - like I did -, nothing with decolletage. lol
So if that gets a reaction, I expect I'll get more extreme comments once I'll have some proper vintage to strut in. :D Usually it's my hair that's commented upon, all nice so far, but you never really know with the English. They have the talent to insult in the most "polite" manner, and they raised the back handed compliment to the rank of art lol

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
Lillemor said:
I had the strangest experience today. I had a woman talk to my bobby socks through our entire conversation.lol

I have had similar encounters. Because of disability I must walk with a cane or use a wheelchair when necessasry. There have been times that I would be wearing either a great vintage outfit or something contemporary and stylish, yet the person I was talking with would stare at either my cane or my chair. I was really miffed one day, but politely said to the woman I was talking with, "Oh this silly cane isn't a fashion accessory, it is walking necessity". I immediately felt bad that I said that and wished that I apologized to her. But its bothers me that even though I work hard at my appearance, some people (fortunately not many) can't see past my disability.

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
NO creepy stares!

After feeling horrible for about 2 weeks (nasty chest infection) my military boyfriend was in a parade in this small town just outside of the city we live in and i decided to dress up to support our troops. I wore just a 50's dress with a red collar (this one: http://www.daddyos.com/retro/ssja1.html) and a crinoline with some patent heels. I hot rollered my hair (it was windy and didn't last long) but i didn't get any bad stares, i got the eye from a few of his fellow military friends and even a few of the older gentlemen in town. It was nice to not be riticuled for once for what i was wearing.

And my man thought i looked good too! lol

Lenore

Practically Family
Oh fun! I miss those small town military parades.

Civilian life doesn't have as many good excuses for getting all dressed up and marching down the street. And those boys look awful nice all dressed up! :rolleyes:

That dress is lovely, and I'm sure you got more appreciative looks than you noticed. :)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Lenore said:
Oh fun! I miss those small town military parades.

Civilian life doesn't have as many good excuses for getting all dressed up and marching down the street. And those boys look awful nice all dressed up! :rolleyes:

That dress is lovely, and I'm sure you got more appreciative looks than you noticed. :)

They do look very nice dressed up. Especially my man ;) he's such a handsome boy! I have this bad habit where i dress up to go anywhere, i once got all dolled up for a trip to fatburger! [huh]

kyda

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I was dressed in a black pencil skirt and a red jumper, black heels make up (as per normal) and hair done - it was very windy so it had blown out of style. Oh yeah I kinda have it cut short:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: .

I had to sort of comments, the first one was in a shop, the person serving me well he practically falling over himself, and as I was walking down the street this car drove past and I heard the man in the passenger seat say "wow", they came back passed and slowed down. It made me feel very good ( considering I am pms and bloated) and I was not even looking vintage, may be vintage inspired at a stretch. They must not be used to seeing a lady dressed in a skirt anymore!!!!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I made a half hearted effort yesterday which was neither very retro nor contemporary. I guess it was just typical me with my complete lack of style sense. :rolleyes: I was in a green, knee length jersey skirt which had a slight A-line shape and bias cut, fitted white cap sleeved shirt with with black mini-stripes, black bead necklace, white hosiery leggings with lace trim because it was neither weather for this nor that, white sandals with thick black wedge sole. I couldn't care all that much about my appearance when I guiltily dragged a sick boy by his hand through town to pick his brother up from school. I must've excuded something anyway because every man over 60 stopped and oggled me or found some excuse to exchange a few words with me.

Today I'm going to remember to take the leggings off and don some bobby sox instead but the outfit is similar with a red/pink/white/black patterned skirt in the same cut and material as the one I wore yesterday, fitted black cap sleeved shirt, red "Lisner" style set, and black sandals. Lets see if I get the same sort of attention as yesterday.;)

Geiamama

One of the Regulars
Lorena B said:
Neany73, I dont think you will have big problems in London, is quite an open minded city.
The worse that has happened to me there is, hearing a bunch of chavs laughting when i passed by, and to be honest, that wont make me cry the whole night long thinking how mean people is.lol

We have quite a few chavs round here and to begin with they would point, laugh and shout rude comments. I just used to smile oh so sweetly at them as I walked past and they lost interest pretty quickly. Now I just get a kind of begrudged smile back. lol

The worst that I had was when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had a complete stranger come up to me and try to lift up the front of the 1940's maternity tunic I was wearing "because these old-fashioned clothes don't let you have a good look at the bump". I hated people thinking that they could pat my tummy just because I was pregnant, I don't pat theirs! [bad] Thankfully though it's not something I get when I'm not pregnant.

Generally I find that my vintage look makes people treat me like a lady. I get far more doors opened for me than when I used to wear trackpants and t-shirts!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've never encountered chavs but from what I've been told from buddies in the UK, the laughing, pointing, rude behavior, and threatening poses aren't reserved for anyone in particular.;)

Geiamama:eek: I mainly wore loose fitting spencers and tunic/skirt combinations during my pregnancies because maternity clothes hadn't really taken off in the cheaper end and some generous relatives in the U.S: sent some very frumpy maternity styles I had to make do with.:rolleyes: I don't know why anyone thinks you should have to show off anything. I hate how one becomes public property when one's pregnant.:mad:

I agree with the treathment, mature people, especially seniors are certainly nicer. I don't care what people my age or younger think.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Geiamama said:
The worst that I had was when I was pregnant with my daughter. I had a complete stranger come up to me and try to lift up the front of the 1940's maternity tunic I was wearing "because these old-fashioned clothes don't let you have a good look at the bump".

That's so incredibly RUDE of them! How did it ever come about that people think it's alright to be so invasive with expectant mothers anyway?? :eek: My knee jerk reaction would have been a right hook to the offender's temple. Icky!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo