Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrast designed A2 in history

zhz

Practically Family
There are many repro A2 comes with dark seal leather and reddish knits. But, I am wondering is this a true design in history? I cant remember any original A2 comes with such design. If this is a true design in history, is this a particular contract or it is a general design?

thor

Call Me a Cab
It is a wartime contract from Aeroleather in Beacon, NY. Some had mid-brown knits but many had the rust-red knits. It's all documented in Gary Eastman's superb A-2 book (as well as in several other references).

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Correct Thor. The dark seal shell and berry knits was a feature of Aero's three Wartime contracts, although mid brown knits were used on their final contract more often than berry ones. Some seal Dubows also had berry knits and I have seen a few Cable A2s with berry knits.

zhz

Practically Family
Thank you Thor and Andrew. That means if I want a historical correct jacket, I should get a wartime Aero then .

Correct Thor. The dark seal shell and berry knits was a feature of Aero's three Wartime contracts, although mid brown knits were used on their final contract more often than berry ones. Some seal Dubows also had berry knits and I have seen a few Cable A2s with berry knits.

zhz

Practically Family
One more question Andrew, I can see JC make a Aero 16160 in seal with brow knits, is this the feature of this particular contract? I know this is a rare contracts.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Aero 16160 was actually made in russet horsehide with mid or darker brown knits. Here's a nice example belonging to a friend of mine.

Darker seal examples were USAAF depot re-paint jobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot