Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cookies, get your cookies here!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quaker Oats packages come with an oatmeal raisin recipe that is fabulous - when you substitute chocolate chips for the raisins! I always put in way more chocolate chips than what's called for in the recipe.

Daisy Buchanan

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Quaker Oats packages come with an oatmeal raisin recipe that is fabulous - when you substitute chocolate chips for the raisins! I always put in way more chocolate chips than what's called for in the recipe.
MMm, yummy! That is the recipe I use for oatmeal raisin cookies too.

I'm surprised to read about how many of you have been on prednisone in the past. I was on it for about 8 months, and for those of you who don't know, it is a drug that you can't simply just go off of one day. You must wean yourself down or risk really bad withdrawles and the possibility of the illness you are treating coming back. So, starting prednisone is a commitment. I was so happy when I finally weaned off of it, so imagine my disappointment when I got sick again and had to go back on it, at an even higher dose of 80 mgs. I'm also on the liquid kind, which is easier to absorb, so I'm really feeling the full affects. The cravings are intense, and I can tell myself all I want that I'm gonna be good and control them, but sometimes there's just no stopping them!!! Hopefully, I will start lowering the dose in a few weeks, and be able to do a faster taper. For I really don't want to be on this for the next year.

All of this talk of cookies is making me want more!! You all have very good cookie taste. We should start an area of the lounge where people post their recipes. Everything from appetizers to desserts could be included. This place is such a great resource for so many different areas. I know a lot of you like to cook, it'd be great to have a place to get and share recipes.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I can turn down just about any kind of cookie craving, but snicker doodles...well, that's just a whole other story, especially if they're right out of the oven, the smell waifs through the air...Mmmmmmm....
*passes an apple to Scott* ;)
Seriously though, I was on medication for awhile and that gives you some cravings as well, if you go with the cookie/junk food craving, your going to gain some unneeded weight, which will not make you feel any better! If it's sugar you're craving, try eating raisins or grapes, since this fruit has a high concentration of sugars.

Daisy Buchanan

mysterygal said:
I can turn down just about any kind of cookie craving, but snicker doodles...well, that's just a whole other story, especially if they're right out of the oven, the smell waifs through the air...Mmmmmmm....
*passes an apple to Scott* ;)
Seriously though, I was on medication for awhile and that gives you some cravings as well, if you go with the cookie/junk food craving, your going to gain some unneeded weight, which will not make you feel any better! If it's sugar you're craving, try eating raisins or grapes, since this fruit has a high concentration of sugars.
That is exactly what I've been trying to do. The bad part is, I am on the prednisone because of Crohn's disease. I had stopped eating all together. My insides are still in pretty bad shape, and I am supposed to be sticking to a soft food/low residue diet. So on top of all of these cravings I'm having, I'm really not supposed to eat any of the foods that I really want. One good way to get over the sugar craving is apple sauce. I can't eat raw apples. But I can eat the sauce, or a baked apple which I sprinkle with a little cinnamin and spray with I can't believe it's not butter spray to make it have that pie taste to it. This is a very sweet dessert, and can be made even better topped off with fat free cool whip. See, all you dieters, there's an alternative to a cookie! And take it from me, especially now that it's apple season, this is an easy to make, low calorie treat.
When I crave something crunchy, I snack on special K. Rice is one of the foods that I'm allowed to eat. It's really not that bad. It's a night, when the cravings for cookies and candy come on, that's when it actually becomes frustrating. Since I'm really only supposed to be eating soft food, I've been eating fat free rice pudding, which I sprinkle with cinnamin or a dash of nutmeg. I also have a bunch of watermelon and cherry italian ices in the freezer. I know, these are high in sugar, but they are fat free, and get me over the cravings for ice cream. But, after 10 days of not eating and 9 days in the hospital, anything I eat right now tastes extra good to me!!
Sorry to go off topic there. Oh yes, cookies!!!!!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
oh Daisy! that sounds horrible!!!!!
You know, that's what I've found with foods that I'm allergic too, I crave them like crazy! I'm gluten intolerant which means no wheat, rye, or barley...so, fresh baked cookies right in front of me is just plain cruel!

Hawkcigar

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
MMm, yummy! That is the recipe I use for oatmeal raisin cookies too.

I'm surprised to read about how many of you have been on prednisone in the past. I was on it for about 8 months, and for those of you who don't know, it is a drug that you can't simply just go off of one day. You must wean yourself down or risk really bad withdrawles and the possibility of the illness you are treating coming back. So, starting prednisone is a commitment. I was so happy when I finally weaned off of it, so imagine my disappointment when I got sick again and had to go back on it, at an even higher dose of 80 mgs. I'm also on the liquid kind, which is easier to absorb, so I'm really feeling the full affects. The cravings are intense, and I can tell myself all I want that I'm gonna be good and control them, but sometimes there's just no stopping them!!! Hopefully, I will start lowering the dose in a few weeks, and be able to do a faster taper. For I really don't want to be on this for the next year.

I know exactly what you mean about Prednisone. I was off of it for about 2 years and now have begun having a relapse of my disease. I had to start back on at a dose of 100 mg/day and now I am hungry all the time! Not to mention the insomnia and other good side effects.
Today was good though as my wife made my favorite sugar cookies with frosting for my birthday.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Mmmmm... I love chocolate chip, (Subway makes good ones) iced butter cookies...Can't go wrong with Girl Scouts Carmel Delights/Samoas? & Thin Mints... I do enjoy an occasional oatmeal cookie.

My mom used to make the best peanut butter cookies and she would always press fork prongs in a cross pattern on the top before baking. There goes my sweet tooth!;)

Novella

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
The best packaged cookie in the world...

englishteastore_1921_21786093

McVities Hobnobs.

I've heard that they've stopped making the plain chocolate ones - is this true? I really hope it isn't, because I like dark chocolate so much better than milk. Yeah, chocolate covered Hobnobs are heaven in a cookie.

In addition to those I'll take one of everything that's been mentioned so far. I'm all about diversity in my cookie loving. ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
gscookie_tagalong.jpg

Girl Scout Cookies Tagalongs

Chocolate covered, peanut butter filled goodness. I sold so many Girl Scout cookies as a girl it was sickening. But oh so tasty.

LD

Asked by Novella:
I've heard that they've stopped making the plain chocolate ones - is this true? I really hope it isn't, because I like dark chocolate so much better than milk. Yeah, chocolate covered Hobnobs are heaven in a cookie.

I haven't been able to get the plain chocolate here in NY for a while, and I thought they just stopped importing them. I also dislike the milk chocolate by comparison (and what a swindle milk chocolate is - they charge the same price for chocolate cut with milk) but just last week my local shop started getting the plain in again. That would be a travesty if McVities stopped making the plain. Are you not finding them in the UK either?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Daisy, I will keep you in my prayers. I have friends and family members that have Khrons Disease. I also had to th prednisone when I was 12. I was on 65 mg and had to be weaned off of it. I had a blood disease. My red blood cells was eating my white blood cells. They called it Pyraderrmaganglaroma. (not exactly sure on that spelling, but it is that long of a word). I was the first ever to have it that they know of. They had to invent a name for it. They looked at what was going on and checked a medical dictionary to come up with a name. Pyra is puss, derma is skin, ganglar is gangreen, and oma is tumor. At the same time I had another skin infection called Erithemanodosum (another word that I am not sure of the spelling) which was scally bruises on my legs and I also had pneumonia at the same time. They did not expect me to live. I was on several medications. Each one I was on, was to counteract the side effects of the other pill that I was taken. The prednisone swelled me up like a balloon. I apologize for the long post that is :eek:fftopic: but, my favorite cookie is homemade chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven.

Gray Ghost

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
Christmas cookies

About two weeks before Christmas I would get a tin of home made cookies from Grandma in Florida. All the grandchildren got these fig-filled, sesame covered delights that went so well with a good cup of coffee. Alas, Grandma is gone and so is the recipe.

Irena

One of the Regulars
Mmm... I make a lemon-shortbread with super-lemony glaze. Always delicious, but I use a pound of butter for one batch. It doesn't help that I eat most of the cookies myself. I could share the recipe, but you'd probably stone me after eating your fifth batch of cookies and stepping on the scale!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Tommy Fedora said:
About two weeks before Christmas I would get a tin of home made cookies from Grandma in Florida. All the grandchildren got these fig-filled, sesame covered delights that went so well with a good cup of coffee. Alas, Grandma is gone and so is the recipe.
Me too! Except grandma sends a whole box load of goodies! It's always interesting what's in there since she notorious for her little 'creations'. Some, you look at and wonder, 'what in the world was she thinking?!' (luckily the kids eat anything with sugar), but my favorites are her homemade banana bread and oatmeal cookies, which are all mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner