Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

reetpleat said:
Nope. Smaller stuff goes for more because japanese guys will pay more for stuff than Americans or most Europeans. small stuff actually brings more for the same reason very large stuff does. It is the right size of those willing to pay a lot of money for it.

That makes no sense when you consider that there is far more small stuff than there is large stuff still around. They should be happy they are that size. They have the pick of the litter.
I remember when the Japanes used to pay a lot more for 50s cars in the 1980s etc. Americans were lamenting that our classic stuff was going over there never to be seen again. Right. :rolleyes: After their market collapse, all of that stuff showed up back here for half the price. It benefitted quite a few of us. [huh] They learned their lesson.

Feraud

Bartender
mike said:
Dooooo you mean this:

http://www.archive.org/stream/eatons19202100eatouoft#page/n5/mode/2up

Which includes Norfolk-styled belted sweaters!

BookReaderImages.php

Thanks for posting the link mike. There is some amazing stuff there.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
That makes no sense when you consider that there is far more small stuff than there is large stuff still around. They should be happy they are that size. They have the pick of the litter.
I remember when the Japanes used to pay a lot more for 50s cars in the 1980s etc. Americans were lamenting that our classic stuff was going over there never to be seen again. Right. :rolleyes: After their market collapse, all of that stuff showed up back here for half the price. It benefitted quite a few of us. [huh] They learned their lesson.

While smaller stuff is more abundant than very large stuff, it is not that common below a certain point, and since it is very consistent demand, prices tend to stay high. Besides that, americana is bigger there than here. We own americana already. We often will not pays as much for it.

As for learning their lesson, never underestimate a person or a cultures ability to forget the past and make the same mistakes again.

reetpleat said:
While smaller stuff is more abundant than very large stuff, it is not that common below a certain point, and since it is very consistent demand, prices tend to stay high. Besides that, americana is bigger there than here. We own americana already. We often will not pays as much for it.

As for learning their lesson, never underestimate a person or a cultures ability to forget the past and make the same mistakes again.

There may be a demand but it pales in comparison to the demand for larger stuff. Put up a size 38 and a size 44 Double breasted Palm Beach suit on eBay and I would be willing to bet $500 that the larger one would get more money.
We do already own Americana though so you might have a point there. They have to pay a premium for that which they don't have. However, after WWII, MacArthur made Japan into America. Look at pictures of large gatherings of people. They looked and dressed like we did back then. I am sure some of that is still around from their forefathers.
You also have to remember not to underestimate the ability of some cultures to remember everything---especially humiliating things. ;)

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:

Sold for peanuts: a group of ties that includes a 1930s-'40s Sulka made of burgundy/black striped moire (watered silk). It's at the far left in the photo below.

Moire silk Sulka ties were very expensive in the golden era, and haven't been made since the early 1960s. http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-13-Vintage-...Men_s_Women_s_Accessories?hash=item3a57300307

Jamespowers, did you win this auction?

BkkZYvgBWkKGrHqEOKjsEsmRTM3lGBLYHdG.jpg

60s and 70s ties? Nah, don't think so. There was a decent 30s tie in there but lots like this net me too much junk I have to either burn or give away. ;) :p

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
60s and 70s ties? Nah, don't think so. There was a decent 30s tie in there but lots like this net me too much junk I have to either burn or give away. ;) :p

:icon_smil Duh, JP. The tie at far left is a rare 1930s-'40s Sulka. It's worth a hell of a lot more than $4.99 + shipping. All you'd have to do is throw away the other ties. Or are you into recycling?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
There may be a demand but it pales in comparison to the demand for larger stuff. Put up a size 38 and a size 44 Double breasted Palm Beach suit on eBay and I would be willing to bet $500 that the larger one would get more money.
We do already own Americana though so you might have a point there. They have to pay a premium for that which they don't have. However, after WWII, MacArthur made Japan into America. Look at pictures of large gatherings of people. They looked and dressed like we did back then. I am sure some of that is still around from their forefathers.
You also have to remember not to underestimate the ability of some cultures to remember everything---especially humiliating things. ;)
\
Well, size does not apply so much on a palm beach suit. I am talking more about 30s work wear, leather jackets, levis, etc. Suits are not as popular there. i am talking about the hardcore americana, western etc.

Macarthur and the americanization of japan is exactly why they love our culture so much I suppose.

I think japan was still pretty formal. It is the sportswear, western etc that is hot there. I imagine being a poor country then, that most stuff was worn and not saved.

reetpleat said:
\
Well, size does not apply so much on a palm beach suit. I am talking more about 30s work wear, leather jackets, levis, etc. Suits are not as popular there. i am talking about the hardcore americana, western etc.

Macarthur and the americanization of japan is exactly why they love our culture so much I suppose.

I think japan was still pretty formal. It is the sportswear, western etc that is hot there. I imagine being a poor country then, that most stuff was worn and not saved.

Even jackets, work wear, Levis etc. Will still go for more in larger sizes on eBay. It is just the way it is. That goes for hats as well. You can get tons of 6 7/8 hats for between $10 and $25 every day. I pick them up all the time for my son (as an aside, I am going to have to get larger sizes as he is a 7 now:eusa_doh: ). In Japan, I have no idea what the market is.
MacArthur and his occupying force was fairly well received as he was not a heavy handed occupier. He even told his troops to treat them as equals or else. I guess they liked that. ;) :D
Japan got out from under its war problems fairly quickly. They became industrialized fairly quickly. Ten years after the war, you could not tell the country was war ravaged before. I suppose we helped a bit there too though. There was money enough for some luxuries.
I would guess that western wear might have been a little ridiculous for them to sport at that time. ;) lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart