Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cool (But Sold) eBay Stuff

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:

Here's a 1930s one of mine.

1930sMoireSulkaTie.jpg

Pardon the interuption fellas...I just wanted to say this tie is nicer than anything I own! Really beautiful...or handsome, as it were. Is the moire part just a print or the actual fabric?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family

mike

Call Me a Cab
Nice! Thanks for the picture! Are there any details on the pockets? It is a heavy weight wool suit, correct? How often do you think lighter colored suits like these were worn day to day during the fall to spring months? Were these more intended for cool/cold summer nights? Do you think the white after labor day-related rule does not really apply to men? Did it even exist prior to WW2? I have some light cream flannel trousers and always wonder if I look too summery, even though the weight is obviously a winter weighted fabric. [huh]

mike said:
Nice! Thanks for the picture! Are there any details on the pockets? It is a heavy weight wool suit, correct? How often do you think lighter colored suits like these were worn day to day during the fall to spring months? Were these more intended for cool/cold summer nights? Do you think the white after labor day-related rule does not really apply to men? Did it even exist prior to WW2? I have some light cream flannel trousers and always wonder if I look too summery, even though the weight is obviously a winter weighted fabric. [huh]

No problem. The pockets are simply patch pockets.
It is actually a light weight suit as all Palm Beach suits and materials are made for warmer weather. Lighter color suits were worn but they were not worn all day as we might wear something today. when they were worn just depends on the weather where you are. You wouldn't likely see these worn on rainy days or snowy days.
That whole labor day business is bunk for everyone. That was invented by the "high society" people on the north east coast where weather is very different. They had too much time on their hands so they imposed it on the rest of the nation. Imagine not wearing white in Hawaii after Labor Day. :rolleyes: Originally the dictum was likely don't wear white shoes between Memorial day and Labor Day. It balooned to the rest of the wardrobe. This still makes no sense for a winter bride as they wear white shoes. What are they supposed to wear--black shoes? ;) :p
I am guessing that the "rule" was established in the 1880s based on the holidays choices they go by.
Flannel is meant to be worn when it is cold. If you have it and are not engaged in an activity during the day or night that could stain the heck out of them then I would say wear them. They are what the Miss Manners types refer to as "Winter Whites" and "they" say you can wear them after labor day anyway.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
That whole labor day business is bunk for everyone. That was invented by the "high society" people on the north east coast where weather is very different. They had too much time on their hands so they imposed it on the rest of the nation. Imagine not wearing white in Hawaii after Labor Day. :rolleyes: Originally the dictum was likely don't wear white shoes between Memorial day and Labor Day. It balooned to the rest of the wardrobe. This still makes no sense for a winter bride as they wear white shoes. What are they supposed to wear--black shoes? ;) :p

Absolutely right! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen