Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooper, US Wings, & Protocol

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Something strange is going on with Cooper, U.S. Wings, and a company called Protocol.

I got my new Sportsman’s Guide catalog yesterday. They have what they call Protocol's goatskin “Bomber Jacket” for $150. They state that it is an overstock. What it really is though is a Indiana Jones Jacket looking at the picture of it. Tried doing some research for Protocol name brand and came up blank, with more research on the Indy jacket came across a discussion board called club Obi-Wan. Found out there, reading an old thread, that the Protocol jackets are really US Wing overstock jackets, that they merely sew their label onto. So, I guess if US Wings is buying Cooper, these jackets could be Coopers that US Wings might not need, want, or think they can’t sell, and Protocol bought them up to sell through Sportsman’s Guide.

That’s my detective work, but I’m not much of a detective. Long story short. I bought one. I’m a Sportsman’s Guide member, so with my discount I got it for $135. It should be in next week.

Anyone have any good insight on this or general comments?

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Membership is $20/yr. I buy a lot of stuff from them. They are very reliable and fast shipping. I could probably buy for anyone I want as long as it's sent to my home. I actually considered buying several of those jackets, and seeing how I do on eBay. Just not sure what the legalities in all that is.

griffer

Practically Family
I think i will just get it.

$15 dollar savings versus your pain and suffering and additional shipping.

$20 to just join....eh...[huh]

Of course the web site says its 29.99 to join...

It looks pretty solid, even if the liner is a bit orangy, luckily i am a fan of orange.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There's a lot of "US Wings is buying Cooper" verbiage floating around, but has anybody heard *definitively* - like from Sgt. Hack - that this is the case?

At one time (I think), US Wings jackets were made by Cooper, but this hasn't been true for a while - I seem to recall reading this over at COW a few years ago. Perhaps Michaelson will enlighten us...

OTOH, over at the US Wings site, there is now a series of pictures of the US Wings factory in NJ - the same state Cooper is located in. (Admittedly, there's a lot of manufacturing in NJ, so this doesn't mean much!) But USW and Cooper jackets have always looked very similar, with the same V-shaped pockets on their A-2s.

Could it be that there's a single mega-jacket factory in NJ whose products are being badged USW, Cooper, Protocol, Legendary, and perhaps some other American-made brandnames?

Doug C

Practically Family
It's described as having a "rear center vent with a strap cinch" what the heck is that? That came after they describe the normal two side vents and straps that an Indy Jacket normally have.

Doug C

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I don't know just what the deal is with Cooper and US Wings....I have read in different places that Cooper was "absorbed" by, or bought out by US Wings.

The Cooper A2 is NOT the same as the US Wings A2, judging by the Cooper that I own and the photos of the current US Wings A2's in their catalog.

US Wings may have bought out the assets of Cooper, but that just means that they bought the equipment and materials, it doesn't mean that they took over the Cooper line....

I have seen statements from several people that Cooper intends to get back into the business, which makes sense if the above is true.

I just don't really know...

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
Doug C said:
It's described as having a "rear center vent with a strap cinch" what the heck is that? That came after they describe the normal two side vents and straps that an Indy Jacket normally have.

Doug C

Yeah, I read that too. I figured if it's something I don't like I can return it. They have a great return policy. Your item usually comes with a return address label and return form to fill out, but I do believe you get stuck with the postage. I'm not looking for an exact Indy jacket, so it may or may not matter. I'll take pictures when it arrives.

griffer

Practically Family
Second breakfast, second christmas

Got yours yet?

Mine is IMMINENT! or is it EMINENT? [huh]

Curious about fit.

Feels like Christmas in February.

I just got a box of Guyaberas and linen pants from Penner's, my Orvis double breasted top coat should arrive today, and soon this jacket.

Yippee!

Stinchcomb

One of the Regulars
griffer said:
Thanks!

Anxiety about color and that whole center vent thing are gone.

HILARIOUS about the label thing.

Can't wait for mine....

Yeah, I'm not sure what the center vent thing is. There's nothing there, and the liner is brown, I'm not sure why their photo shows it as being so orange. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Stinchcomb said:
Well, the Protocol “Sportsman’s Guide” jacket arrived yesterday. Here are some pics. It is indeed an Indy jacket, made by US Wings, but imported from China. The sleeves are the 3 piece type. The leather does seem a little thin, but then again, I’ve been wearing and am used to the new A2 horsehide. A nice brass YKK zipper. Over all I say, a good product for the price. I believe I’ll hang on to this one. It is an XL and it fits me about as perfect as it gets for off the shelf sizing. I’m 5’-10, 198#.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/stinchcomb/front.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/stinchcomb/back.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/stinchcomb/side-1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/stinchcomb/tag1.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/stinchcomb/tag2.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/stinchcomb/tag3.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/stinchcomb/zipper.jpg

As you observed, it is not an A-2, but I like it. It looks to be a nice, inexpensive jacket with a quite a bit of 1930s style!

Atticus

griffer

Practically Family
Technonut said:
Very good deal considering that U.S.Wings is currently selling their import (China) Indy jackets for $169.00 + shipping.... ;)

Aw, and I was pitcing it to my wife as a very passable indy replica that was usually nearly $300, per US Wings/Indy website...still much less than the Wested.

Now it doesn't seem like such a deal since I bought the 'membership' to get the 135 price.

Michaelson

One Too Many
It is indeed a U.S. Wings Indy jacket of the Chinese order that is currently on the Wings clearance sale page. All the materials were supplied by Wings, and shipped to China for assembly, so what you have is EXACTLY what someone would be buying from Wings today.

I have one of these in the distressed cowhide, and it's a WONDERFUL jacket, and fits perfectly. VERY well made. You did very well.

Regards! Michaelson

The Wingnut

One Too Many
...interesting. Anyone have an idea what the size equivalent of a medium is? I wear a 36. I'd imagine it would be too big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183