Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Correct Telephone Habits

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
phone.gif

1930artdeco

Practically Family
So I take it that "YEAH WHADDYA WANT....I mean (insert dept./business name)" is out?:)

Mike

p.s. Congrats to anyone to can guess the reference....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother has the most incorrect telphone habit I've ever heard. She answers every call with "Yeah, whadda YOU want?" And this is a woman who worked for years as a genuine Bell System manual-exchange operator. "The Voice With A Smile" indeed.

fashion frank

One Too Many
Looking at that pamphlet reminds me of the old phones themselves ,they were heavy duty, the ones made by bell electric I think they were made out of Bakelite and were heavy as hell you could kill someone just with the receiver!

All the Best , Fashion Frank

P.S. Lily Tomlin ( a Rhode Island native btw ) on Laugh In " is this the party to whom I'm speaking "

GHT

I'll Lock Up
In the UK, we had an in joke about chavs, and others, inability to hold a conversation of even semi-intelligence. The joke went like this: PE=potential employer. C=Chav. If you aren't aware of this Brit level of homosapien think red neck or similar.
PE Right Miss, we have seen your Curriculum Vitae, and what we would like to do is give you a little test. Is that OK with you?
C I fink so.
PE OK what we want you to do, to see if you are suitable for work in our call centre, is to put three words into a simple sentence. Is that OK?
C I fink so.
PE So, let's keep it simple. If we ask you to say pink, green and yellow, can you put those words into a sentence?
C I fink so.
PE Off you go then.
C Well, the phone goes: Green, green. Green, green. I pink it up, and I say: "Yellow!"
She got the job in the call centre. Now you know why it's so frustrating holding, or trying to hold a conversation, with these places.
We still say, only to those we recognise on the phone: "Yellow!"

Caller ID took all the fun out of *making* prank calls, but it's added a whole other dimension for messing with people who call *you*.

One, you can answer the phone in Spanish. Also, it's fun to explain to telemarketers that they can do you a favor...you're stuck here at the house, because of this ankle bracelet, and you're not allowed within 1,000 feet of a school, but you're out of beer and could they pick some up and bring it by. It's also fun to end every sentence with "...in fulfillment of the prophecy".

Not the kind of phone manners you'd find on a pamphlet, I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21