Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cost Of A Haircut

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Speaking of barbers ..

Up until the time I was in junior high school, I went to the same barber that cut my Dad's hair when he was a child. Now, the barber I go to cut my Dad's hair (up to the time my Dad passed away this past November), cuts my hair (has since about 1970), cuts my son's hair (gave him his first haircut in 1980), and now cuts my grandson's hair. Four generations with the same barber - not too bad.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
There's a beautician in the family, so my wife and I barter haircuts for babysitting. $0 every three weeks for the two of us.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Every 4-6 weeks

Carrs in Miami Beach ($25), Paul Molé in Manhattan ($32) or Truefitt & Hill in Chicago ($55); plus 20% gratuity. While I would recommend them all, Paul Molé is my favorite as I first went there as a child, hand in hand with my grandfather.

Randal

Familiar Face
I cut my hair myself (I shave it with a razor in the summer, and trim it really short in the winter). If I have somewhere to go that I need to look nice, I'll go to the barber up the street. $8 + $2 tip.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I get haircuts so irregularly that any estimate would be misleading in one direction or the other. My last haircut was about three and a half months ago, cost $17 (with $3 tip, nice even twenty), and was pretty slick. It was finished with a straight razor and everything. It was probably only a couple of months between that and the previous haircut (I don't remember how much it cost) and before that it was about a year and a few weeks.

I tend not to like drastic change in my personal appearance, and thus avoid haircuts. I am also fairly miserly even when I have an income. If I decide to get another haircut before I go to Germany next fall, I will definitely go to that same place as last time. Best haircut I've had in years.

Frykitty

Familiar Face
Once a month

17 bucks, with tip it's 20. It took me going to every barber in town to find Ralph, now there's no need to go anywhere else. On a side note nobody in town does hot shaves:(

klara

One of the Regulars
skyvue said:
Every three weeks -- $30 plus $5 tip.

Betty understands what I want more than any other barber I've ever used -- very close at the ears and the neck, but full higher on the sides and on top. She says the proper term for this cut is "English style."

I can't imagine most of the other barbers I've tried in recent years would recognize that term; they always tended to trim too closely on the sides for my taste. I'd love to pay less (I might go every two weeks if I did), but no one gets it but Betty.

Would you mind letting me know the address? Sounds like it's worth a visit.
Thanks

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I don't know the exact address, but it's called Chelsea Barber and it sits just a bit east of Tenth Avenue on the north side of 23rd Street in Manhattan. All the barbers there are decent or better, but Betty's the one I'm loyal to (she's also the proprietor).

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I go to the barber once a month

The fellow I go to has been a barber for something like 60 years, the only other job he ever had was when he was a Marine in the Korean War!

Cuts run $15 at his shop, shaves $10. I usually tip $5 per visit (it seems like a good policy to tip anybody who uses a straight razor on you really well).

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Good Lord, you chaps pay a lot for a haircut! $6.25 for me, with a $1 or $2 tip, depending on quality. I can't stand to go any more than two weeks without a haircut, and I'd go weekly if I could rationalize it. There's nothing more refreshing that a good, clean haircut.

Rider

Familiar Face
I pay $16 + $2 tip for visits every four weeks.

The same woman has cut my hair for about 28 years. The price has held constant, well sort of anyway. She is cutting less hair all the time as my male pattern baldness advances. So perhaps the price has gone up as the amount of time she spends on me has gone down?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran