Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Couple questions from a nubee

Dogface

New in Town
Hi all,

Been lurking for a long time but never posted so far. Like all of you I love hats but didn't really care much for them until I was in the Army...ever since I must have a hat on. I have quite a few custom western and campaign hats but not many fedoras as yet.

My main professional hatter contact was with Michael Harris of Paul's Hat Works in SF. He made a few very nice Montechristis for me in the past years.

Anyway, I would love to have a wooden fedora hat block made for me, with the top press (if that's what you call it) and flange but dunno who does this for less than a fortune. I see plastic ones on the web but dunno if they are any good.

Secondly, I have always heard it's bad luck to put your hat on a bed. Never knew how this got started or if any/all of you subscribe to this superstition ;)

BTW, I hope you all know that Paul's is now back open with four ladies as new owners...not sure where Michael is these days.

Thanks Guys...n' Gals

Mark

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Newbee!

Welcome!!!
Not really able to expound on your delema as I'm a lady,You'll have to wait till one of the fellas can help you! but there are some really nice & very knowledgeable(sp~the spell check thingy never loaded on my laptop!so I type like a 2nd grader Sorry!that's when I quit learning!ha!) people on the FL!

:eek:fftopic: (I think) you can try Etsy (www.etsy.com) or EBAY (www.ebay.com) or there are supposed to be some classifieds on the lounge but i've not found them yet!(i'm not really all that computer literate either!ha) also sometimes at the flea markets you can find stuff like this!or antique stores but with them they KNOW what they have & they are very "proud" of their stuff!

hope this helps!there is a guy or lady (idk) on the Powder room (yes you can go in there!) who is "the Milliner" (again, sp) & I think this person actually does do hats!so just some stuff I've learned since November!
1*Cool*Kitten

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
Welcome to the Lounge!!!
That's it! awwweee common RBH!!! help the fella out!you're killing me, smalls you're killlin me!!
I'm so glad to see so many new people arriving everyday! I honestly didn't know there were "others" out there like me! I have always been told I was "a bit odd" but I'm not thinkin'g that so much any more!

Happy New Year,RBH!

RBH

Bartender
1*Cool*Kitten said:
That's it! awwweee common RBH!!! help the fella out!you're killing me, smalls you're killlin me!!

Happy New Year,RBH!
:D
If I knew about a block I would help.. but I have a hatter friend [Mike Moore] that does my blocking.
As to the hat on the bed... the only place I do not put my hat is on the floor. lol

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Hat on the bed

I'll ask the "men folk" of my household but I rember my Uncle; an old tool pusher from the oil fields of Wy & Montana,Cowboy from NE & a cattleman in OK used to say "don't EVER put a hat on the bed......blah blah blah!"lol hahah~ that's it![huh] I much have this hearing loss when my brain just for some reason shuts off it's like the emergency shut off valve at the gas pump! somthing inside just goes flick! & then all i hear is Charlie Brown's teacher! that's it! i'm laughing right now because it's TRUE!!! so let me go ask the guys!
Well, they say bad luck but........dad said "never fails;someobdy will come along & sit on it!"

I found this though: http://www.zootsuitstore.com/hatcare1.htm
And this one!: http://www.thehatstore.com/hattips.html (READ # 11):eek:

Merry Merry! Happy,Happy! Hope this helps!

MKB

New in Town
Dogface said:
...I have always heard it's bad luck to put your hat on a bed. Never knew how this got started or if any/all of you subscribe to this superstition ;)...

+1 I own about a half dozen ivy caps, and any time one of them hits the bed, my wife looks like the evil monkey from Chris' closet on Family Guy. Was this bad luck for the person who placed the hat, or, as 1*Cool*Kitten's dad said, was it more likely bad luck for the hat?

Dogface

New in Town
MKB said:
+1 I own about a half dozen ivy caps, and any time one of them hits the bed, my wife looks like the evil monkey from Chris' closet on Family Guy. Was this bad luck for the person who placed the hat, or, as 1*Cool*Kitten's dad said, was it more likely bad luck for the hat?

I dunno but one guy I knew, RIP Dick, was attending a yearly small golf tourney years ago. We'd all meet up at a friend's cabin, party, and play golf for the weekend. This one guy, Dick, was a hat fanatic and had really fine Montecristis all the time. Someone put one of his hats on a bed in his room and he went ballistic but no one copped to it. He got really mad, left and did not come back. It was about a four hour drive back home. A bit over the top, I'd say, but that's how serious he was. Oh well lol

Corky

Practically Family
What is a the use of a Taboo if not to break it?

What is a the use of a Taboo if not to break it?

Space is at a premium around here, so I toss my hats on the bed all the time and have done so for years with no ill effects.

Best of luck...

Pera.T

One of the Regulars
MKB said:
Was this bad luck for the person who placed the hat, or, as 1*Cool*Kitten's dad said, was it more likely bad luck for the hat?
Yep, definitely bad luck for the hat! Whenever I put one on a bed it gets sat on and crushed within minutes :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff