Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Like HJ, I recently deleted my storage of photos and searching for them here is an exercise in futility. Here is a pair of full quill ostrich by Jesse Bogle. His stitch patterns are somewhat unique and I have a pair of black cherry elephants with the same stitch pattern. Also unique to him, are how he finished his "bottoms". Most boot makers don't refer to them as soles. No evidence of pegging but some of the tightest rolls to the arch I have ever seen in a cowboy boot and plenty heavy enough to withstand standing in an oxbow stirrup, common with a lot of SW cowboys. His bottom finishing remains somewhat of a mystery. I've made inquiries to other boot makers and none have fully explained it. I'm not sure they understand it.
View attachment 88419 View attachment 88420 View attachment 88421 View attachment 88422 View attachment 88423 View attachment 88424
I've never seen any bottoms like that either. I wonder if you could ever find someone to resolve them if they ever needed it?

I've never seen any bottoms like that either. I wonder if you could ever find someone to resolve them if they ever needed it?

Jack, I've wondered the same thing. I have three pair from him and have only had heels replaced. My cobbler, who is also a bootmaker (trained at JB's Custom Boots) out your and Bob's way, says he has no idea about them. Maybe, one day when I stop wearing boots, we'll take a band saw to them to figure it out.

Here's another pair of Jesse Bogle boots in black cherry elephant with kangaroo tops. As close as I could get to red elephant. My game day boots. ROLL TIDE!
CIMG3623.JPG
CIMG3624.JPG
CIMG3625.JPG
CIMG3626.JPG
CIMG3627.JPG
CIMG3628.JPG

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's another pair of Jesse Bogle boots in black cherry elephant with kangaroo tops. As close as I could get to red elephant. My game day boots. ROLL TIDE!
View attachment 88490 View attachment 88491 View attachment 88492 View attachment 88493 View attachment 88494 View attachment 88495
Beautiful! I bet those kangaroos tops are very soft. We used to sell kangaroo Lamas in an orangeish color called Benedictine. Softest leather I ever handled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Beautiful! I bet those kangaroos tops are very soft. We used to sell kangaroo Lamas in an orangeish color called Benedictine. Softest leather I ever handled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks, Dd. Kangaroo is my favorite leather. I have a couple pair with a kangaroo foot and I'm amazed at how soft they are and the way they conform to my foot. I've got a pair of TL's from the mid 50's - early 60's with a kangaroo foot that I love.

I had a pair of TO Stanley's in full kangaroo with 16" tops that were as light as a pair of shorties and were like wearing a leather sock. The fit was a bit off so I moved them on. The buyer tried to return them claiming they were goat, but that's another story.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know of a reputable cobbler that works on cowboy boot resoling?

I'm assuming that when you say "resoleing" you're not talking about the half sole that is commonly done, that most shoe shops can perform. To do a full resole a cobbler would have to have access to a last that would fit the boot. Depending on the make, some companies offer to rebuild their own boots. There may be other companies but I've heard good things about this one, http://www.tulsashoerebuilders.com/cowboy-boot-and-western-boot-repair-resole.html, though I have no personal experience with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24