Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Ernest Tubb

1705800375545.png

The vamps are Shrunken Bull shoulder. I like the tops. The ink stamp indicates they were originally sold off the shelf, made on his standard last.

These finally showed up (they showed on USPS tracking as “out for delivery”, then went to “return to sender” — they shipped them in a liquor box and that bounced them back to Colorado apparently).

A couple of snags in the stitching.

IMG_0402.jpeg

They have the ink stamp in one boot and the original owner’s name in both (like on the other Paul Bond customs in that auction). Not sure what that implies.

IMG_0403.jpeg

I like them a lot and they fit! Need to clean and dress them.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
General Boots question.
Can you change (lower) the heel height without effecting the way the last works? I feel like there is some overall design engineering at work. The thing is I just don’t care to wear heels over 1.5”

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I've not tried that with cowboy boots, but have lowered a heel on a pair of White's Packers and didn't like the result at all. The heel strike and stride were way off. On the other hand, I added a quarter inch to a pair of engineers which made them much more comfortable to stand in. They had a low heel to begin with and I have a long foot, which made for a pretty flat, uncomfortable arch. (They're not made to walk long distances in, for sure, no matter the heel height ;) ).

So I'm afraid I don't have a definite answer for you, but heel height does matter in the way the foot strikes and in the stride, and usually it's taken into account in the overall design of the boot.

Good luck to you!

TONY LAMA EL REY II Boots

In 1961 Tony Lama introduced the El Rey (The King) line of their boots with the El Ray I, listed in their catalog for $5,000.00. As far as anyone knows there was only one pair of El Rey I’s made & they were stolen ( featured in The Cowboy Boot Book by Tyler Beard).

In 1966 Tony Lama introduced the El Rey II. The catalog description said it best, “The finest boots in the world featuring a premium grade black calf on the toes and vamps. Gold leaf inlaid in your name...54 carats of precious stones with 110 diamonds, 80 rubies and 4 star sapphires.” Engraved Sterling Silver toe & heel caps with 12" long mule ear pull straps inlaid in gold leaf with "Tony Lama" on the inner strap & personalized with your name on the outer strap. The EL REY Il boots were advertised as made to measure only with a 90 day delivery priced at $10,000.00. (The EL REY IV created in 2011 for the company's 100th anniversary was priced at $350,000.00).

The only known pair of Tony Lama EL REY Il boots to turn up were ordered from Luskey's 1966 catalog. In unworn condition this pair sold at auction in 2023 for $24,200.00.

IMG_5038.jpeg

IMG_5041.jpeg

IMG_5043.jpeg

IMG_5042.jpeg

DanielPetmr

New in Town
I've worn cowboy boots off and on since I was a kid. Mom was pretty adamant early on that cowboy boots were not the best thing for your feet. Her father could attest to that later in life. I remember my mother messaging my Grandfather's feet many times. Now I better understand why. I've seem plenty of old cowboys hobble along later in life, because of bad feet. Hobbled up by bad horses/cows, hard labor and cowboy boots. My guess is more bad boots than bad animals. Now decades alter I too can testify to just how bad even the best custom made boots are for most feet.

I literally have baskets full of high dollar custom boots from many makers I can no longer wear because of arthritis in my feet.

I have little choice but to wear boots or sell out and make a significant change of life style. I wear out a pair of good boots almost every year. Some store bought boots will last 2 years if I rotate them often enough. Abought the time they are "good to go" they are gone :) Good pair of custom boots? Wouldn't make it a year of daily wear here Saroni David.

Water and heat, and we have an abundance of both 6 months of the year, is a death sentence for any boot.

Ariat's. Good for a 2 year stretch generally if they get rotated a lot and kept out of the irrigated grass and the arena's sand box as much as possible. With a lick of a good leather conditioner, once dry again, these should make it till Spring before the tops cracking.

View attachment 252828

View attachment 252830

View attachment 252832
Was watching a guy today he had his Jeans tucked into his Cowboy Boots. I was thinking nobody does this. But got to thinking a person has a thousand dollar pair of Boots why not show them off?

Was watching a guy today he had his Jeans tucked into his Cowboy Boots. I was thinking nobody does this. But got to thinking a person has a thousand dollar pair of Boots why not show them off?

Interesting that it’s faux pas for men but women do it all the time

I guess you don’t have to fully commit.

1707277011853.png

Edward

Bartender
Bought a pair of Loblan 295 harness boots this week, after a long time of looking for a pair of brown harness boots not in a waxy finish. I really like them - shiny, 'rub off' look in a finish I believe they call tobacco.

I do have a question about fit. I tried them on in the office for the first time (socks on, no plastic bag). Difficult to get into, but once on a great fit. Getting them off again was a bit more of a struggle on my own. Once on, they feel a good fit round my feet. Snugger all round than an engineer boot - which is part of the attraction, of course. What I'm now not sure about is whether I need to return them (purchased by mail) and ask for a size up, or whether they will break in with use.

I did a few years ago have a similar issue with a pair of Chippewa Engineer boots, which broke in and slipped on and off nicely after a few weeks of regular wear. Are Loblans the same, or do I really need to size up? I'd hate to size up now and then find in a couple of months' time they were too big...

Bought a pair of Loblan 295 harness boots this week, after a long time of looking for a pair of brown harness boots not in a waxy finish. I really like them - shiny, 'rub off' look in a finish I believe they call tobacco.

I do have a question about fit. I tried them on in the office for the first time (socks on, no plastic bag). Difficult to get into, but once on a great fit. Getting them off again was a bit more of a struggle on my own. Once on, they feel a good fit round my feet. Snugger all round than an engineer boot - which is part of the attraction, of course. What I'm now not sure about is whether I need to return them (purchased by mail) and ask for a size up, or whether they will break in with use.

I did a few years ago have a similar issue with a pair of Chippewa Engineer boots, which broke in and slipped on and off nicely after a few weeks of regular wear. Are Loblans the same, or do I really need to size up? I'd hate to size up now and then find in a couple of months' time they were too big...
If they fit when you've got them on, then I'd say go with it. They will stretch out over time and you don't want them flopping around too loose on your foot. In the meantime, get yourself a boot jack to make it easier getting them off. You can get a plain wooden one for pretty cheap, or go down the rabbit hole of vintage ones. Usually cast iron, you can find steer heads, giant bugs, saucy ladies with their legs in the air....the possibilities are endless..
Screenshot_20240222_151706_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240222_151621_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240222_151651_Chrome.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner