Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CRAZY HAT IDEA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamus

Suspended
I just had a crazy hat idea....

We should have a hat "donated" to travel around the world. Each member would send it to another member and they would take a picture of themselves or just the hat by a landmark of that place where they're from. Then send it to another...

Kind of like the gnome that travels... and we could have a hat update thread going.

I'm just the idea man.. My hats are afraid to fly....

WEEGEE

Practically Family
GREAT IDEA

I think what type of hat should it be is the question?

Would not want anyone to have to wear anything unbecoming would we?

great idea.

i once had a traveling hat in college an old bogart style stetson...i wore it to

48 States...sent it to Alaska with an aunt and uncle...and to Hawaii with a

friend...it did some time in south america and europe as well...till a

girlfriend had to wear it one day ...layed it on a bed at her girlfiends house

and a dog ate it...sad day

so what hat will it be?

Gumby

New in Town
Just like the old days...

I was reading the book "Hatless Jack" (the one mentioned several times over here at the Lounge) that it was sort of a craze back in the early part of the 1900's to send your hat on trips around the world. I think it's a great idea.

Where do we go from here?.....

"Knowledge is good."

-Faber College Motto,
Animal House, 1978

Johnnysan

One Too Many
photobyalan said:
I like the idea, but I have questions. What size hat would you use? Who gets the hat in the end? Charity auction, maybe? Or does the hat just keep traveling around the world like Charlie on the M.T.A.?;)

I have just the hat...a Cavanagh in 7?Ǭ? that has seen better days. It already started it's journey when PrairieShade sent to me as a bonus along with another hat that I bought from him. I'd be willing to donate it to the cause and will start the ball rolling!

Following its journey, the hat could then be sold on eBay as "The World Famous Traveling Fedora" and the proceeds could be used to support the Lounge for what would certainly be decades to come (or at least buy MK a beer for his trouble.)

Any takers on who wants to be next in line...maybe in the midwest? No need sending it to Tibet straight out of the gate...the longest journey begins with a single step and all of that, eh? ;)

Baggers

Practically Family
Well, I'm down here in Texas, near Dallas. Some might say that's the southwest, but I never bought into that. The real southwest begins at the New Mexico state line!

Maybe a shot with the Big D skyline in the background (cue the theme music from "Dallas")?

Cheers!

Gumby

New in Town
More ideas needed on documentation...

How about some ideas on how we would document this hat's travels?

Would we keep a log book or log sheet with the hat? How would we know who to send it to next?

This is gettin' interesting...

"Carpe diem"- seize the day

"Carpe ductum"- seize the duct tape
-Red Green

shamus

Suspended
Johnnysan said:
I have just the hat...a Cavanagh in 7?Ǭ? that has seen better days. It already started it's journey when PrairieShade sent to me as a bonus along with another hat that I bought from him. I'd be willing to donate it to the cause and will start the ball rolling!

Following its journey, the hat could then be sold on eBay as "The World Famous Traveling Fedora" and the proceeds could be used to support the Lounge for what would certainly be decades to come (or at least buy MK a beer for his trouble.)

Any takers on who wants to be next in line...maybe in the midwest? No need sending it to Tibet straight out of the gate...the longest journey begins with a single step and all of that, eh? ;)

I like where this is heading.

I think a 7 1/2 would be a good all around size. It's not like you're going to wear it forever... just a few days or a week..

I think a picture log is the best, that way you can see the hat where it is. It would even be cool to have some famous people wear it with a picture.

Oh, I'm on a roll. why not have the Fedora Lounge Charity Fedora. We get a new Fedora, have Celebrities wear it with a picture, they can sign a book or something and then auction it off on Ebay and give the money to a worthy cause.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Great Ideas

The world traveling hat is a great idea... all I need to do figure out where to get the picture taken. I think the log book is probably best, because not everyone will be able to get a hard-copy photograph quickly enough. Maybe we should have the photo-log posted on the lounge, and a log book stay with the hat. People without digital cameras could mail regular pictures to someone with a scanner so they could be posted. Maybe the log book could include any comments that people make about the hat. Any way you cut it, I'm in!

I think 7 1/2 is a good size, too. That way, at least most people will actually be able to wear it, even if it is big. We don't want it too small!

Also, Shamus' celebrity charity hat isn't a bad idea, either. Maybe, if the first one is a success, we should do that next!

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Sign me up...

I think 7 1/2 seems a most democratic size, certainly shimmable for my 7 1/4 noggin.

I'd vote for a crushable traveler -- Borsalino, maybe -- something you can stuff into an envelope with its route provenance and send to the next guy.

Michaelson

One Too Many
It's a neat idea, but one that someone will really have to ramrod to make it work.

We have a journal traveling the world from Indygear.com that's been on the road for 2 years this week. Last stop was China, and it's on it's way to California as we 'speak'. It disappeared from radar for almost 3 months until I gave things a KITA (kick in the A**), and told folks either move it along, or the site would pull the plug on the project. It resurfaced, and has been on the move again. It's fun, but you can't just sit back and hope it goes. It won't.

Regards! Michaelson

Baggers

Practically Family
I agree, a 7 1/2 would be perfect. But the packaging needs to something sturdy enough to make it around the world and large enough to handle the multiple address labelings and postal frankings it will take to do it.

As for deciding who gets it and in what order, we can sign up here in a separate thread. Everyone is then contacted by pm so locations and addresses can be collected and organized. Once an itinerary has been worked up, the hat is sent on its merry way with a copy of the itinerary and a logbook enclosed.

Cheers!

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I'm in...

...another thing, if there is a special event in your area, like a fair or rodeo or anything particular to your area...that would make a nice picture. Say like the Grand Canyon or Pikes Peak...Or The Alamo...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Hrm, the crushable types don't have a liner, do they?

You could pull the same thing that G.I.s used to in the Mediterranean - paint the locations they'd been to on their helmets. In this case, take a fabric marker and write the locations in the inside of the crown.

7 1/2 would be huge on my noggin. I plan to travel quite a bit in the next 10 years, though.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Yes

I'd like to be on the list.

I vote Big Man as The Enforcer.
To make sure it always gets sent on. :)

Also will be interested to see how some of you gentlemen reconcile "let someone wear my hat? NO! EW!" with wearing a hat for which there is photographic proof of its having been on 20 heads....

Gumby

New in Town
A name for the hat?

I put forth the suggestion that the hat be given a name. I think it only fair that the donor of the hat get first dibs on dreaming up a moniker.

"Perpetual peace is a futile dream."

-Gen. George Patton

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Went through the desert on a horse with no name

Does anyone name their hats on the lounge???

I think its acceptable to name this traveling hat but other then the hatters

name and model i can not conceive of the concept.

" Would you take "little buddy" off at the dinner table please"

"Hey put "Big Burt" on the hat rack over there"

or "Honey could you leave "-------" on when you come to bed"

I do want on the list for the great world hat tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot