Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crosley radios

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
does anyone have an experience with crosley's line of entertainment centers? some of them look pretty snazzy. they play three different speeds of records, cds, cassettes, as well as some having a aux in for an ipod or other mp3 player. some of the reviews i am reading online seem like the quality is hit or miss. i was thinking of picking up a entertainment center for my room as well as a travel radio for the bathroom so i can listen to NPR while making myself all dapper.
thanx!!!
Charlie

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Crosley "Sleigh"

I use this, it has a Radio, CD Player, and AUX jacks at the rear for my IPOD. I got it on ebay though it did cost me $100.00 to ship it from Colarado to Australia, must admit I love it to bits.

I have to play it through a "Trip down transformer" as the current is higher here in Australia, but is a very small unit that hides behind the radio itself
2908802055_3c42825e16_m.jpg

2908802051_cfdece6fa7_m.jpg

Hunni Listens to "Lux Radio Theatre" on the Crosley

I got a model similar to this one for Christmas:
http://www.target.com/Crosley-Conductor-Entertainment-Center-Paprika/dp/B0002LGN1W/sr=1-6/qid=1231167335/ref=sr_1_6/182-1944740-3506268?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038576&rh=k%3Acrosley%2Cn%3A1038598%2Cp_36%3A%24100-%24199&page=1

I paid $79 for it at Target the day after thanksgiving. I think their regular in store price is $99. It think it is worth that. I like it because it fits my style, plays 3 speeds of records, Cd, cassette and a cable to plug your MP3 in. The sound is good but not exceptional like a traditional stereo with separate speakers would be.
I used to want the console, but I couldn't see paying almost $300 for it and it didn't even have cassette.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think they're pretty neat, personally. I think they represent a great compromise bewteen modern technology and old fashioned style.
The Crosley name has an interesting history. They were one of the finest radio manufacturers back in the golden era. They bought the Cincinnati Redlegs ball club, and built Crosley Field, in order to promote the sale of their sets, and after WW II they came out with an innovative, if not terribly successful, small (I mean VERY small) passenger car. Fascinating corporate history, still selling interesting products. They also have some retro repro phones that look like the old style, but operate by push button, like a modern phone.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'd say go for it....we have a Crosley fridge..from thh 40's-50's and it STILL works. Picked it up at a flea market about 2 years ago and it works great.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
CherryRed said:
I paid $79 for it at Target the day after thanksgiving. I think their regular in store price is $99. It think it is worth that. I like it because it fits my style, plays 3 speeds of records, Cd, cassette and a cable to plug your MP3 in. The sound is good but not exceptional like a traditional stereo with separate speakers would be.
I used to want the console, but I couldn't see paying almost $300 for it and it didn't even have cassette.

have you palyed records on it? i have heard that the speed for the phonograph "varies" or "wobbles". in other words it doesnt stay consitent. i really do like the looks of the one you posted the link to. i might have to pick one up on amazon.com...

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I really couldn't tell you, all I know is our energy bill is pretty low.[huh] but then again we heat with a woodstove so it wouldn't be that outrageous...

16_sparrows

Vendor
I have this model of Crosley Reproduction Radios and absolutely love it. It has jacks on the back that allow you to plug in your iPod and the sound quality is fabulous. I would highly suggest it.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a Crosley. It's the 5-in-1 (radio, cassette, cd, record player, mp3), and I love it!

crossley5-in-1entertainmentcenter.jpg

Here's how I have it set up.

crosley1.jpg

crosley2.jpg

The table it sits on is an old radio table that belonged to my Grannie, and to my Mom. It's very old and in need of some TLC, but it does the trick!

celtic

A-List Customer
If you're concerned about having the best sound, they're not for you.

I have a Crosley 50's style radio with a cassette player that I bought new about 10 years ago, and I have had a similar Crosley record/Cd player as those shown above that I got new as a gift two years ago.

Neither are fantastic at what they do, but work fine.

Both sound "better"? than the original Victrola that I will have one day, but both sound "worse" than any new modern high-fi system that you can buy nowadays.

I'd liken it to buying a new Triumph Bonneville -

It's beautiful to look at, it's a fine, capable machine that looks better than 99% of its modern competitors, but it's not going to win any awards for speed or cornering when compared to a Kawi Ninja.

But usually people buying either a Crosley or a modern Bonnie aren't expecting the highest tech available...they're buying a modern repro that will be cheaper and easier to maintain then an original.

And both do that very well.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
bruce wayne said:
with it being that old, how is the energy usage with it? can i assume that it is not energy star rated?

Remember that before the 1950's, electric rates in the US were quite high, in real terms, and appliances were largely built for efficiency. It was the self-defrosting machines introduced in the early 1950's that were the great energy hogs. The manual defrost refrigerators of the 1925-1947 period use considerably less energy than their modern energy star descendants, if the door gaskets are up to snuff.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Thanks for asking this - I too have been wondering about the quality of this. It's about what I expected. They do look the part though.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Crosley repros - never had one, but several friends do - Buy from someplace where exchanges are easy - some OK, others don't work out-of-the-box or die w/in 1 year - keep exchanging till you get a 100% working one - heard some still working well after 2+ years

Eva Morsikova

Familiar Face
I got a Crosley Rochester for my birthday last year and I love it to bits! The quality is great and it looks wonderful atop my 40s dresser. It plays MP3s, CDs, 3-speed record player and a radio. But I practically only use the record player part of it.

bruce wayne said:
have you palyed records on it? i have heard that the speed for the phonograph "varies" or "wobbles". in other words it doesnt stay consitent. i really do like the looks of the one you posted the link to. i might have to pick one up on amazon.com...
Yes, I have and have no problems at all. I have played at 33 1/3 and 78. I have not tried 45 yet, but I am sure it would be just as good. I also like how the speakers are on the sides as well as the front.
I found a picture of the model I have:
5132D1S8E2L._SS500_.jpg

kools

Practically Family
I've got three of them, one 5 years old; others closer to 10 years old. They all work fine-no issues ever. As stated above, the sound quality is not the best, but that's what I bought them for. I have other components for that.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
bruce wayne said:
baby doll, what model is that?
i just noticed that i am moving up in the world. i am now an a list customer!!! :eusa_clap yay for me!!!

That's a good question. I bought it at Linens-n-Things (now out of business) a couple of years ago, and they had it listed as "The Entertainer", but a quick google search brought up that it isn't that model. The Crosley site has it listed as "The Musician". And they've also remove the mp3 feature from it, so it's no longer a 5-in-1. Boo.

This one is similar, and has the aux output (allows to connect mp3 or ipod to the radio, I think): http://www.storeyourmedia.com/vintage-record-player-cd-player-combo-in-2-finishes.aspx It's also more than double what I paid for mine. (Mine was $99.99, plus 20% off coupon.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo