Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crosley radios

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
I have a Crosley special edition reproduction model from the 1980s? its in a heavy chocolate brown plastic, one end is rounded and the other end is very square, it also has a cassette system on the side which has died!( not missing that function!) , If anyone is interested I will take a Photograph and post.

Is it the copy of this set, the Zenith SR-312?

Zenith_SR_312.jpg

Or is is the copy of this Belmont?

Belmont_6D111.jpg

belmont.jpg

The 1952 Crosley D-25 "Coloradio" clock radio, an original example of which may be seen here:

CrosleyD-25.jpg

is available in a rather good replica:

cr-52-1.jpg

nut stylisticly, these sets were designed as kitchen appliances, intended to be set atop a refrigerator (the little legs allowed the set to rest flat on the curved tops of the refrigerators of the day) or on a kitchen table (the original model of this set had an outlet on the back so that the clock mechanism could turn a percolator on in the morning).

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
vitanola said:
I will post some photographs of replica radio sets and this evening, along with pictures of the originals from which they were copied...Have you considered a restored, original set with a "phono" or "Televison' input?...Price-wise, many models of restored radios would be quite competitive with any of the replicas.

Can't wait for the photos! And thank you very much for your help.

Believe me, I understand the concept of "it just doesn't look right"...I've spent my life around antiques and in the fields in which I'm knowledgeable, often say exactly the same thing; sometimes it's not the one thing or the other, but a number of things, each of which might pass on its own...but put them all together, and it just doesn't look right. But, having said that...and as part of an effort to get informed...can/would you be able to list the things that disturb you about the modern Crosley we're discussing here?

As far as acquiring an original radio, rather than a repro: not really...because my ignorance of electronics (and the specialty market in old radios) made me expect that a) it was unlikely I'd be able to hook up an iPod, an issue of great importance to me; b) they'd be way expensive, and better left unfiddled-with for the benefit of collectors; c) finding a set from the 30s with all its tubes working would be unlikely...and if that were to happen, d) the chances of replacing one that died would be very low, and/or very expensive.

But, if I'm wrong on all or most of these....I'd love to know more. Thank you!

Restoring old radios is one of those hobbies that takes a certain amount of knowledge and finesse so it is not for everyone as is most electronics work especially in the light of burning your home down accidentally. However, if you are lucky you can find a guy who does it more for the love of the hobby than to make a bundle. I don't have the info but there is supposed to be a guy in the Monrovia area that does Radio work and also another in the Santa Clarita area of Southern California if you have an oldie needing fixing and may have something they are selling if you are just looking around. There are many wonderful old radios out there but their price tags are often on the scary side and if you have no clue what you're getting into seems even more daunting.

Radios have a following and the concept of what the market will bear is the watch word for pricing.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Can't wait for the photos! And thank you very much for your help.

Believe me, I understand the concept of "it just doesn't look right"...I've spent my life around antiques and in the fields in which I'm knowledgeable, often say exactly the same thing; sometimes it's not the one thing or the other, but a number of things, each of which might pass on its own...but put them all together, and it just doesn't look right. But, having said that...and as part of an effort to get informed...can/would you be able to list the things that disturb you about the modern Crosley we're discussing here?

As far as acquiring an original radio, rather than a repro: not really...because my ignorance of electronics (and the specialty market in old radios) made me expect that a) it was unlikely I'd be able to hook up an iPod, an issue of great importance to me; b) they'd be way expensive, and better left unfiddled-with for the benefit of collectors; c) finding a set from the 30s with all its tubes working would be unlikely...and if that were to happen, d) the chances of replacing one that died would be very low, and/or very expensive.

But, if I'm wrong on all or most of these....I'd love to know more. Thank you![/QUOTE]

The Crosley replica is dead-on, save for color. None of the original attractive colors in which these "coloradios" were offered seems to be reproduced.

I personally find the D-25 to be just a bit extreme for my taste.

Well, some of the rare sets can get pricey, but the vast majority of sets form the 1930's, `1940's and 1950's are in such great oversupply, relative to the collector market, that they are practically free for the taking. The only real expense is a proper restoration, which should include the replacement of all paper condensers, electrolytic condensers, and out-of tolerance resistors with HIGH-QUALITY modern equivalents.

When this is done, the set will be more reliable than it was when new, owing to the improved quality of the modern components used. As far as tubes are concerned, by the late 1930's, the life expectancy of common receiving tubes was very long. The connection of a proper input for an Ipod is a simple mater, and does not detract for the originality of the set. Radio repair shops quite commonly fitted sets with phonograph inputs back in the 1930's and 1940's. Sets so modified form a high percentage of surviving radios. This is essentially the same modification that would be necessary to play an iPod through a vintage set.

The general tube failure mode of the common five tube "Series string" sets of the 1930's-1950's was at start-up, when the high "inrush current" would cause tube heaters to fail. When restoring a set,today, most of us install an "inrush currnet limiter" in the series string, to prevent such a failure. with this installed, the lifespan of most of the common tube types will long exceed 10,000 hours in home radio service.

In addition, supplies of the common tubes are so great that most of the commonly used receiving tunes are less expensive (in real terms) today than they were in the 1930's. The modern cost of a full set of new tubes for an "All-American five" is less than $20.00.

In the 1970's, when most tube manufacturers were winding down their business, the list prices of many common receiving tubes were set at astronomic levels ($25.00-$30.00 each for many types) in a concerted effort by the several manufacturers to milk a dying market. For years after, radio repair shops would refer to these 1970's price lists when selling their dead stock of tubes, which had been purchased at 1950's wholesale prices (60 to 80 cents, generally), in most cases. This led to the general misconception that most vacuum tubes were scarce and expensive.

In the 1980's a number of companies made a business of purchasing and centralising the dead stocks of tubes form all over the country. The net effect of this enterprise was to show that for all but a few scarce types, the quantity of surviving new old stock tubes was so great that the supplies should last for a couple of generations more at least.

I generally sell a rebuilt set (new condensers and resistors, set of new tubes, 180 day unconditional warranty) for between $80.00 and $125.00, depending on complexity, simple 4 tubes sets are usually a bit less, complicated seven and eight tube sets perhaps a bit more. Most other large collectors do the same.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
vitanola said:
The Crosley replica is dead-on, save for color. None of the original attractive colors in which these "coloradios" were offered seems to be reproduced. I personally find the D-25 to be just a bit extreme for my taste.
Dear Vitanola, thanks again for the benefit of your expertise; the info on the old radio market was very informative. Who knows? Maybe it will be useful, sooner than later!

As far as the Crosley D-25...my question about "what's wrong here?" was actually concerning the model that 16sparrows originally posted and which I currently have; I still can't post attachments, so I'm afraid you'll have to go back to her post to see it. It's the boxy model, wooden case, no external modern devices, but a CD player hidden under the hinged top, a dial-style tuner, and horizontal openings in the case for the speakers....

Looking forward to your photos, and thanks again.

twokays

New in Town
lazydaisyltd said:
Re: the Crosley Traveler....I recently got one to put in my kitchen so that I could listen to NPR or my I-pod while cooking. I really, really like it. It looks great, is small, the i-pod connects by a small cord and I stow the cord behind the radio when I'm not using it. I look forward to taking it out on the patio this summer. I'm no radio expert, vintage or otherwise, but I have been happy with my little repro Crosley.

I went ahead and got the Traveler for myself and I whole heartily agree. The fact that it can run off batteries or AC is a big plus. In fact, the only thing that would make it better, IMO, is a lighted dial. But then I'm not sure the originals on which it is based had lighted dials. I too hook up the i-pod and listen to OTR. Jack Benny just seems better on this radio as opposed to the computer!

lazydaisyltd

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
The manual only shows an adapter jack for plugging into the mains??? anyone else know the Aux Jack, status of thei beauty?

http://www.crosleyradio.com/Manuals/CR21_Manual.pdf

Binkie, I checked the model number on my Traveler and I think I must have newer version of the Traveler--it looks almost identical to your pic but it is model CR8002A-TW. The CR21 must not come with the the i-pod cord but the CR8002A-TW definitely does. They look very similar externally, though.

David V

A-List Customer
Babydoll said:
I have a Crosley. It's the 5-in-1 (radio, cassette, cd, record player, mp3), and I love it!

crossley5-in-1entertainmentcenter.jpg

That's the model we have. The wife and I aren't audiophiles so this is just fine for us. Bought just before Thanksgiving last year from Linen N Things at the same mark down of $99. Heard about the quality issues but we have had none.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Traveler"

"My Crosley "Traveler" arrived late last week, andI seized the opportunity to take it down to the bottom of the Garden for some jolly entertainment whilst I applied a coat of creosote to the old Folly."

"Its rather splendid solid wood construction covered in a stylish Tweed "Leatherette", lots of lovely, period detail the carry handle is "Tooled" imitation leather!" and it runs on 4 AA Batteries so I wont burn the house down ( Australian voltage is different to USA")

4143244104_367a66fb0f.jpg

4142463253_003b45f520.jpg

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
I just got the Crosley - Mission "Stack-o-matic" in the mail yesterday. Played 78's all night on it tonight. The 78's sound good. The audio quality when playing cd's and newer lp's is very "AM radio". I guess you could call it "vintage sound". LOL. Overall, it's decent. Cheapie parts - made in China. The main reason I got the Mission one is for its expandability. It's got external speaker jacks as well as outputs and inputs. So I'll be hooking up a newer stereo with a little more power and some better sounding speakers. I'll just have to hide all that stuff. My kids were tripping out on the records. They had never seen and heard one played.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There is a very Crosley TV set on the Bay right now. Boy do I wish I could grab it. Don't have $595 to throw around at the moment. From about 1947.
Crosley made everything, from radios, to small cars, to the ballpark in Cincinnati where the Reds played for years.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Crosley radios make a reasonable “pseudo” facsimile of what can be considered a “classic” looking set. I feel their earlier models did stay more true to original designs (of other makes then their own) for whatever reason, they have not added digital dials and large “brass-esk” dial plates.

Miss ‘40s has a Crosley record player, the portable model, works well, sounds ok… nothing spectacular. When you have played a 78 on either an Victor Orthophonic or any 30s to 40s tube type player, there really is a big difference in sound quality. Tubes will always triumph over solid-state any day of the week.

If I had to buy an original that needed a little work or buy a Crosley, I’d buy the original and put the money into it so that it will play… for quite a wile. I bought my GE radio record combo for $250. Never regretted it… quality sound and style… and it’s an original! Single speed though, only plays 78s which is fine with me since I don’t collect vinyl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo