Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

crosley radios

Flivver

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
Crosley made everything, from radios, to small cars, to the ballpark in Cincinnati where the Reds played for years.

But it was the radios that originally made Powell Crosley wealthy. Throughout the 1920s, Crosley focused on entry-level radios that the masses could afford. His slogan then was "Better Costs Less".

Powell Crosley was often referred to as "The Henry Ford of Radio".

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I love my new "Crosby Traveller" however, I have noticed that the dial does not light up, is this because it is essentially a Transistor radio for picnics, Croquet matches, etc.?"

4143244104_367a66fb0f.jpg

"Im considering making a sturdy canvas cover to protect it in transit"

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, Friday I should have my early Crosley radio, I'm going to have to do some research on it to find what year it was made, I'm going to guess that it's from 1929 to 1931 or so. It's an early one! I do have some snap shots of it on my digital that I can upload... I'll do that when I get home from work.

It really is amazing, I can't wait till I get it in the house!!!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
A taste:

Ok, here's a taste of what will be arriving Friday. Pretty crapy snap shots but, it's hard to get a good shot of it where it sat for the last year or so.

crosley.jpg

crosley2.jpg

crosley3.jpg

It works, and from what I understand is that it works well. It's at an antique shop I visit whenever the chance is there. I know the owner, he's a good guy. Two other friends of mine were thirsting for this set, they both realized they didn't have the room for it... so, I decide to go for it. I don't have the room really either but, I'm going to make it for this piece!

Not going to refinish it yet, going to rub some good oil into it and see what happens. Going to enjoy this thing, what a neat piece!

Flivver

Practically Family
Looks 1929-1930 to me. If you post the Model number I should be able to tell you exactly.

I particularly like the lightning-bolt speaker grille design...very attractive.

From your photos, the cabinet appears to be in excellent condition and should not be refinished. I use Howard's Finnish Restorer to improve the appearance of nice original cabinets like this. Howards is a tinted oil dressing, sort of like the classic "Old English Scratch Cover" but available in several colors. You could follow that up with a tinted paste wax like Butcher's or Howard's. The tinting in the oil dressing and wax covers any minor scratches in the original finnish quite effectively. Larger finish imperfections can be touched up with tinted lacquer and a small brush.

Most old radios can be made to look just fine *without* refinishing. The original finish on your radio is sprayed-on tinted lacquer, with an artful shading effect added. It would take a skilled refinisher to duplicate that original finish. The usual strip, stain and varnish used by most amateurs would ruin this beautiful old radio.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Flivver said:
Looks 1929-1930 to me. If you post the Model number I should be able to tell you exactly.

I particularly like the lightning-bolt speaker grille design...very attractive.

From your photos, the cabinet appears to be in excellent condition and should not be refinished. I use Howard's Finnish Restorer to improve the appearance of nice original cabinets like this. Howards is a tinted oil dressing, sort of like the classic "Old English Scratch Cover" but available in several colors. You could follow that up with a tinted paste wax like Butcher's or Howard's. The tinting in the oil dressing and wax covers any minor scratches in the original finnish quite effectively. Larger finish imperfections can be touched up with tinted lacquer and a small brush.

Most old radios can be made to look just fine *without* refinishing. The original finish on your radio is sprayed-on tinted lacquer, with an artful shading effect added. It would take a skilled refinisher to duplicate that original finish. The usual strip, stain and varnish used by most amateurs would ruin this beautiful old radio.

Yeah, 29-30 is what guessed… I’ll give you the model number when this thing is in my home. The lightning bolt design is what sold me on this set! So “Radio”!
There are many scratches but, when I receive this receiver, I'm going to go over with my Howards! I have used "Restore-A-Finish" many times. I do need to get some of the wax though... all out. I really wouldn't want to re-finish this piece. A Philco collector I know has an early 30s 6 leg Kolster, that radio is beautiful! He didn't have it refinished, it was much the same as this set in condition... he knew a guy who could touch up the imperfections and scratches... you'd think that radio was all original and never saw the light of day! It is beautiful!

Some of the scratches and such I feel gives the piece charm and age that tells a story of its long travels from the depression to 2009. Radios are the only antiques that "talk" but, they only say what radio stations tell them to say... the big Parot! lol

Dagwood

Practically Family
Forgotten Man -

You radio is superb! I think the lightning bolt is fantastic!
Can't wait to see you spruce it up.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Thanks! I'll never forget how impressed I was when I saw that radio. A close friend of mine found it first, he thought about it... wanted an early radio such as this but, he's a little picky about condition. So, after a long hard think, he passed on it. Another friend of mine wanted it, thought it was the living end but, has a large "high-boy" console radio, a 1929 Philco to be exact. So, he didn't feel he needs TWO "high-boys" in his place. So, after making sure they both didn't desire it, I went over and put some money down on it.

The radio works, and I should be getting it brought up by the dealer today, he has a truck and offered to deliver it for me.

So, when I get home tonight, I'll have a radio to play with! :D

Nothing says "Art Deco" more than lightning bolts! Check out this amazing art work on this magazine cover... this is what early Deco was all about... POWER!

spiritofelectricity.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Story.

Well, didn't get the radio on Friday, turns out the dealer got lost and couldn't find my house? Oh well, went down on Saturday to pick it up... wanted it that bad... who wouldn't right?

So, we get there and he's got it cleaned up some... touched up some of the scratches and cleaned it up nicely... nice surprise huh? Well, he wanted to show me how to turn it on... I said: Ken, I think I know how to turn on an old radio... he smiled and said: Not this set!;) So, I watched him open the doors and tug on the far right knob. It pulls out some and the light on the dial comes on! Then, after 20 or so seconds, the radio is alive and well! Golly! I tell ya, I've never seen an on/off switch such as that! How fun and different is that touch?

Man, I've always had a soft spot for early radios however; this set has helped it become a love. Going to turn it around and take some photos of the inside and such. I have to clean the tubes and the chassis... That's fun!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]are any of the mid-90s sets you mention to be found today? Will they accept an iPod connection?[/QUOTE]

Well, I have a late 80s or early 90s Philco commemorative solid state cathedral. Hasn't the tape deck, just has a phono/tape jack in the back. The IT guy here at my job found it in the warehouse amongst the other recyclable electronics... he showed it to me and then mentioned he could hook it up to my PC and it would work as a speaker for the pc. I said: DO IT! lol

Works great, I have Radio Dismuke tuned in and a soft glow from the radio on the desk... very nice.

But, for the ultimate experience with playing old radio programs over any type of radio, I would encourage the investment of a period radio and have an radio/electrician hook up a small phono jack to it... that way all you'll need is the double male cable. You can play your iPod on it and you'll get a super sound because of the vacuum tube amplification quality. Tubes are out there, they can be bought for different amounts of money. eBay is a good source or Antique Electric Supply in Tempe Arizona.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
1929crosley.jpg

There it is, in the living room... looks pretty nice huh? Like I mentioned, the dealer refinishes furniture, so he touched it up some and it came out nice I think.

Pretty happy with it I must say!

Now, I did mention a repro I have at work that was saved from the recycling department... here it is:

deskzh.jpg

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, most threads go up and down... just takes someone to find it and post on it to bring it back to life.

I wanted to share my original 1929 Crosley to show what they were doing then vs now. I think the company would do right by reviving some of their original styles from the late 1920s into the early 30s. With the strong deco styles in '29 I think they could make a mint on making an accurate reproduction but, putting all the modern stuff under a lid or something... no digital and overly decorated dial plates and all that jazz... :rolleyes: Keep it simple and authentic and I'm sure they could really boost their sales.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I just bought that Crosley ad from '29. I read the description and it said that the third radio is a model 42 console, with 8 tubes. This unit was a solid walnut case selling at $125. The $150 model 82 was top of the line that's pictured at the very bottom center of the page.

Too bad they didn't show a picture of the set with the doors open, I'd sure like to see what the model 82 had for a grill design!

EDIT:
I did a little more research (hard to find anything on the 1929 sets!) All the ads I see are just small photos of an ad sitting on a table and not quality scans. I saw another ad for a set that wasn't mine but, says it's a model 42... so, mine could be the top of the line $150. model 82. We shall see when I get the ad in the mail! I'll make sure I'll post quality images of the ad!

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
1929crosley.jpg

There it is, in the living room... looks pretty nice huh? Like I mentioned, the dealer refinishes furniture, so he touched it up some and it came out nice I think.

Pretty happy with it I must say!

Love the "lightning bolt" speaker scrollwork on the console!! Great radio.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo