Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed Jeans

Do you cuff or hem your jeans?

• Total voters

simonc

Practically Family
Thanks moderators for joining up the threads. I thought some super fight had broken out over night and I missed it. Look the jean was turned up because the leg sizes were limited to one or two lengths; one would fall normally somewhere in between and turn them up so they sat just over your shoes. Length was only ever dictated by how short your pins were. Cuffs had function too. They allowed kids to grow down into their jeans, this lent a youth look to them, and before pockets were introduced into denim jackets cowboys would keep their tobacco/smokes in their cuffs. A single cuff was preferred to show off the chain-stitiching which gave a subtle feature to the ankle. The one thing we can all agree upon is that cuffs look great and they have been an integral part of every pop genre throughout modern history. Turn-ups have a rebellious style to them and an innocence. Indeed after wearing turn-ups for all my life I couldn't imagine not wearing them, they'd look like dad jeans, albeit being a dad. Just remember the trick to any sartorial style is less is more, less, less, less, and this is hard to do. So less cuff, less toe, less colour, less everything; as it is always more elegant and forces the onlooker to stare harder into the nuances of the wearer and thus elevates him above the garish.

Last edited:

Iowa Slim

New in Town
Well i never imagined peacocks and cuffs being compared. That said a Peacock may not grow more feathers but they sure do vary in length. To each their own.

injunjack

One of the Regulars
Here is the US of A, plenty of folks wear that combo. Longer jeans are likely due to a guy riding a bike. There's plenty of those folks here, and I have no idea if they even know what a UK skinhead is, but it's a classic look here - esp if you ride certain types of bikes. Sometimes I sport that riding a Trumpet or going to car shows. Who gives a fudge about what someone might associate you with? Nothing I own/wear could get me into any offensive territory.Watch a few episodes of the Twilight Zone and you'll see lots of rebel yoots wearin' that! lol

Well :D

Yes that is a NOS type 3 Levis from 70's.

Must say that I havent been in UK since 1979...didn't know ex-skins look like me.

And your right, those jeans are a bit too long, but they still have some shrinkage left, and I do ride a bike. Maybe that's an excuse.

I'm just old bald rockabilly liking bikes and a bit modified 50's style US of A biker look [huh] Don't let my "skin" to mislead you, I'm ex Ted, converted to Rockabilly and if I must define
me, a biker

Didn't mean to offend with daddy jeans comment, but obviously did... :D You're welcome

Just wanted to give some food for thought with pics. Probably won't do it again in near future:eusa_doh:

majormajor

One Too Many
Just wanted to give some food for thought with pics. Probably won't do it again in near future:eusa_doh:

Hey man - if you like them, that's cool. Each to his own.

I don't wear that look myself, and I was explaining why.

But if you like it, go for it, my friend:D;)

Edward

Bartender
My opinion only, Crocs are great............. on small children, especially on the beach.
Wear with Levis and a Highwayman at your peril:p

In all honesty, if it was either lose my feet or wear Crocs forever.... I'd probably not want them to stop even to administer anaesthetic. And I'm a man who loves shoes.

Butte I found you on fb.

You can run, but you cannot hide.

In all honesty, if it was either lose my feet or wear Crocs forever.... I'd probably not want them to stop even to administer anaesthetic. And I'm a man who loves shoes. You can run, but you cannot hide.
That can't be me. I'm sure you're mistaken...Are there pictures of Vikings Crocs? lol

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Couldn't resist it. Popeye goes SkinHead :D

POPEYE SKINHEAD.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Simonc, you made me laugh for a minute, remembering all my jeans being cuffed when I was a kid, so I could "grow into them." Ah, the days when my waist size stayed the same, but my inseam might grow up to two or three inches a year, instead of the opposite. Anyone here rememer those awful "Toughskins" (spelling?) jeans that Sears used to sell? Don't know what they were made of, but it sure didn't seem like denim, and they felt like hard plastic. I still remember thinking I couldn't grow fast enough to get rid of those bastards, and being horribly disappointed when I finally did and my mom just made them into "cutoffs" to wear all summer. Got away from the cuff for many years, as it was just another area to pick up more unwanted sand and stickers while horseback, and we just wore our jeans "stacked," with extra length wrinkled about the lower leg that would disappear once mounted. If I wear cuffed jeans with cowboy boots, I stick with slimmer legs, as I hate the look of old-man-cuffed-slacks-over-boots that wider legs give, even making the boots appear smaller, like some fuller-fitting jeans do now. Still trying to find selvedge denim in big boy sizes, not for riding, as I have a feeling the seams on anything but Wranglers would tear up the insides of my poor old legs after more than a few hours in the saddle. Anyone here have a favorite brand that comes in a 42 waist or so? I can fit smaller, but hate a tight waist. Almost forgot, on the Crocs front, here in the hotter part of Southern California, they are an epidemic. Old folks, small folks, gay folks, straight folks, menfolk, womenfolk, everyone but me-folk. I'm all about comfort in hot weather, but that much man-made material in direct contact with my feet would make them into a sweaty, stinky mess in no time, and they just don't look as cool with socks. Frank

Last edited:

frussell

One Too Many
Sharp looking couple of fellas in that last one, crow. I've been tempted to cuff higher with cowboy boots, just to show off the colorful uppers/shaft (not mine, the boot's), and I've been guilty of tucking jeans in completely to show boots off, but never got the hang of it. I always felt weird tucked in, and the jeans worked their way slowly out anyway. Your length looks good, but would be a pain when riding. For wearing around, I like it. Frank

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Who else cuffs their jeans. I do, all my dungarees are about 2 to 4 inches long and I give the legs one big turn that is about two inches. Must go back to childhood when my Mon would buy every pair of britches for us boys too big in order for us to grow into them.
Two inches turned up might just swamp this guy, but then again he's only 20 weeks old. They may not be of a designer make but they are bespoke. My missus made them.
pauline & jim's wedding 007.JPG

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
There are lots of reasons to cuff trousers. The only decorative cuff I've ever used is what I think they call the pin roll, tight roll, peg roll, or something in that vein. It was popular in the 80s. Possibly made most famous by the likes of Morrissey of The Smiths? Like anything, you could get fast and accurate at it, but what a pain that was. I liked the relax fit for skateboarding, but I would peg roll here and there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails