Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
I have always considered the cufflink to be uncomfortable, both physically and socially.

But recently I have come across some coin cufflinks that look pretty good and have some character.

Tobias Davis offers many for a bit more than $100. I particularly like their Indian Head penny cufflink:

cufflink_indian.jpg

http://www.tobias-davis.co.uk/

Others can be found on Ebay for less than half that.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
......that I couldn't resist this fine cache of vintage items. Just snagged these tonight for 25 bucks on ebay. :) At least one set is matched, and the rest can be mixed and matched with each other.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Very nice deal, Major. Lately, I have been looking to add to the few cufflinks/tie bars I have as well. I will have to keep my eyes open in the eBay direction if your deal is indicative of what is available.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I think so!

maintcoder said:
Very nice deal, Major. Lately, I have been looking to add to the few cufflinks/tie bars I have as well. I will have to keep my eyes open in the eBay direction if your deal is indicative of what is available.

I saw a couple of good deals on men's vintage jewelry lots. Seems to be a good time to grab some as no one is bidding on these,........[huh] Get 'em while ya can, and good hunting. :cheers1:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
No doubt.

Especially since they can be had, (for now anyway) for a song. :) I saw lots of familiar maker's names like Swank and Krementz, and lots of creative designs such as a fishing rod tie clasp.
I love those theatrical face cuff links, by the way. :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got several pair inherited from Dad and both grandfathers, along with my dad's and his dad's watches from the 20's & 40's. But my favorite pair of cufflinks were ones my mom found about 10 years ago. I do bookkeeping and taxes and she found a pair that look like old accounting ledgers. You can even open them up - one read "Debits" inside, the other reads "Credits." I haven't worn them to the annual meeting of a group I'm on the board of (treasurer of course!) in a couple of years so I'm thinking I'll do it this year - and hoping I can find a nifty double-breasted blue suite by then.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I'm onto another score.

Provided that no one snipes me, that is. :rolleyes:
I will share the wealth and offer some up as prizes in an as yet to be announced contest to complement the tie contests sponsored by our esteemed colleague Mr. Chevalier.

JW

New in Town
Cufflinks and studs

In the 1940s, were cufflinks in use for daywear, or were they generally reserved for use with tuxedos?

How about studs in lieu of the buttons on the shirt front?

thanks!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm not following you around - honest.

Other guys will jump in.

It depends on the cufflinks - and the shirt.
There are SO many jillions of cufflink designs. Very simple black links are usually for more formal wear or evening. The fun ones are the novelties. Little cigars, automobiles, hats, exotic themes, horses, dogs, political, club affiliation, you name it. Those are for other times and day wear.

Most shirt studs one sees are onyx or mother-of-pearl. Those go with starched shirts in a formal setting. If you find any "novelty" shirt studs... well... I'd think a time or six about those.. :)

Am I wrong, gentlemen?

Feraud

Bartender
Based on period films, I recall seeing cufflinks on men during the daytime as well as for evening wear.
I think scotrace correctly summarized the day and night use of links & shirt studs.

I try to match my links to the colors/patterns I'm wearing and therefore I don't think about what's formal or what's suitable for day/evening wear (Heck, just putting on a tie these days is considered formal, isn't it?)

Lately, I've been having my shirts made with removable button strips so I can use studs. Even with business shirts. I like to wear a bow tie occassionally, but I've always hated the look of exposed chest buttons, so on go the studs. As of yet, no one has mentioned their daytime appearance.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
I like shirts with single cuffs for cufflinks or monkey's fists, not folded back like "French cuffs". Hard to get, but with some shirts, you can simply do away with the buttons.

Are these cuffs ahistorical? I've seen several times style police statements like "Cuff links are used only with folded/double/French cuffs" or even "may not be used but...."

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I would think French cuffs were as common back in the day as they are today! I always see stars, such as Bogart in Maltese Falcon, wearing them in movies with regular suits.
I have a few shirts with French cuffs that I wear with my suits. The cufflinks add a level of panache to the outfit. I have also had shirts made with combination button/cufflink optional cuffs but tended to just use the butttons out of laziness.

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
I only wear french cuffs....

because I think barrel cuffs are informal when wearing a suit. I have always loved double cuffs and was thrilled when they came back into fashion. As the others have said, cufflinks are fine for day wear (not black onyx or mother of pearl inlaid ones - they are strictly for black and white tie respectively), but studs are strictly for formal wear. Black or gold for black tie, and mother of pearl for white tie.

As said by Scotrace avoid the novelty studs at all costs for evening wear.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR