Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I think simple cufflinks look great with suits for business wear and they're certainly appropriate as a vintage look. I have several old pairs as they were common even in the Victorian era. Don't forget silk knots and other materials (alligator for instance). For evening I think you could get away with slightly dressier links with a suit. Black tie, as someone said, usually calls for black stones (onyx is typical) although I've seen some tasteful gold ones with tiny diamonds. White ties always requires pearl or mother of pearl. I've never seen studs worn with a regular suit but I'm sure they must have been at some point.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
To me (and to-day), buttonless single cuffs seem to be much more inconspicuous than double cuffs, but that may be because the mental distinction is made between double = formal vs. the rest.

Here, here, Major. Well said. I went out to work today in my houndstooth overcoat and bowler hat, driving down the highway in my 66 convertible Mustang. Was I conspicuous? You bet your arse. Did I make people smile? Same again. To hell with the modern day dullards. We're the people making life interesting for them.

Regards,

Senator Jack

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Where else to put these?

Some of my cufflinks. A nickel for scale. The black rectangle at front is a 20's shirt stud. Note the rather scarce bulldog. My very favorite are the deco mother-of-pearl. Given as a gift, they're from the late 40's. The original owner was a young relative who died unexpectedly in his late teens. Very precious thing due to my having been honored with it.

cufflinks1.jpg

Rosie

One Too Many
I love the bulldog and the car, very unique. I have some of my dad's cuff links which I sometimes wear with my french cuff shirts. I have my eye on a pair of rotary phone cufflinks now, if no one snatches them away.

Jay

Practically Family
How exactly do those shirt studs work? I have a couple but can't figure them out. Are there instructions out there?

upr_crust

New in Town
As a newbie to this group, I didn't realize that . . .

. . . it encompassed not only my interest in hats, but my passion for cufflinks.

I will endeavor to get a picture of my collection (it may require pictures - I have some 50-60 pairs of cufflinks). Living in a small apartment in Manhattan, and being of an acquisitive nature, collecting cufflinks seemed a natural fit.

Here's one picture of one of my more recent purchases - sterling silver, set with small garnets in a 14K gold bezel.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
Jay said:
How exactly do those shirt studs work? I have a couple but can't figure them out. Are there instructions out there?
===================== End of quote =====================

I wonder why you didn't start a new thread, since this one is about cuff-links, not shirt studs. You might consider posting your question in the General Attire & Accouterments section, as your question may be more relevant over there.

Also, since there are different kinds of shirt studs, perhaps you should describe the structure of the ones you have so that the answers in response to your question will be more relevant to you.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Shirt studs...

Jay said:
... work with formal shirts. Buttons above the cumberbund (top three or four) have no buttons but a double set of holes. The stud acts as the button. Just like cufflinks do on the wrist.

Happy Stroller said:
I wonder why you didn't start a new thread, since this one is about cuff-links, not shirt studs. You might consider posting your question in the General Attire & Accouterments section, as your question may be more relevant over there.
Photos and discussion about studs are okay, too. But what I want to see are COLLECTIONS. Not just the one pair that you have in your drawer... So, Upr Crust, give us some more photos, please...

Tomasso, here are the silver ones from the Tiffany site. (Thanks for the link!)

Tiffany.jpg

upr_crust

New in Town
The request for a collective picture is duly noted . . .

My posting was something of a crime of opportunity, as I had the stray picture of the links on my work PC, but I should document my collection, and I will endeavor to photograph them all for your delectation and enjoyment.

Zemke Fan said:
... work with formal shirts. Buttons above the cumberbund (top three or four) have no buttons but a double set of holes. The stud acts as the button. Just like cufflinks do on the wrist.

Photos and discussion about studs are okay, too. But what I want to see are COLLECTIONS. Not just the one pair that you have in your drawer... So, Upr Crust, give us some more photos, please...

Tomasso, here are the silver ones from the Tiffany site. (Thanks for the link!)

Tiffany.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Happy Stroller said:

Also, since there are different kinds of shirt studs, perhaps you should describe the structure of the ones you have so that the answers in response to your question will be more relevant to you.

Happy Stroller, you crack me up! lol I've never seen anyone satirize the FL or the LL so well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21