Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not at all.
I like they chain type far more than the bar type, but my favorite set is joined by a post, wherein one of the ends screws on.

Marty M.

Vendor
Change Links?

Milu said:
Am I alone in prefering tradtional cufflinks joined with a litle chain to the more modern type with a bar?

I'd be curious to know why you like them. I've never have worn them. I have a couple set's in my store. But they don't sell well. I suppose that's because I don't quite understand them.
Marty

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
No, I have a strong preference for that style as well, although I have a few of the post style that I am also fond of. I am inclined to agree with Alan Flusser that the torpedo/swivel bar type of link lacks the "finish" and presence of (for example) the double-oval chain link (my favourite type.)

upr_crust

New in Town
Double-faced vs. Bascule/"Torpedo"

For looks, double-faced cufflinks are more attractive, but can be a bigger pain in the neck to put on or take off. (This is particularly true for modern double-faced cufflinks made in the UK, and American-made double-cuffed shirts - American button holes are smaller than equivalent UK holes.)

"Switch-back"/Bascule types of cufflinks are easier to put on or take off, but the switch in the back is normally not anything to look at.

I do have a pair of cufflinks which are double-faced, but have a solid bar in between, and a hinge on one end, such that they look the same on both sides, but can be removed by flipping up the hinged end.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I agree that the chain ones are a bugger to put on and take off. I do have a nice vintage pair with an art deco look to them. I don't try to put them in if I am in a hurry.

BRS

KCE

New in Town
I like the type with the bar because there is a larger variety (old coins, flags, organizations, etc) than you find with the chain type, which seem to be restricted mainly to oval shaped metal or stone.

Jovan

Suspended
Brian Sheridan said:
I agree that the chain ones are a bugger to put on and take off. I do have a nice vintage pair with an art deco look to them. I don't try to put them in if I am in a hurry.

BRS
Probably not best to wear double cuffs in a hurry! :p

I'm in the process of finalizing a prototype of those glass bead cufflinks I was talking about making in another thread. They will use a chain, and I can probably make them double-ended if anyone wants. Stay tuned.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Milu said:
Am I alone in prefering tradtional cufflinks joined with a litle chain to the more modern type with a bar?

Yes... at the best of times they are a hassle to insert especially if, like me, you have a thicker wrist.

upr_crust

New in Town
To illustrate my previous post . . ..

. . . a re-posting of a photograph of my double-faced hinged cufflinks. (My apologize for repeating myself . . .)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
upr_crust said:
American-made double-cuffed shirts - American button holes are smaller than equivalent UK holes.
I've never noticed this on my T&A shirts. What is the rationale behind the larger UK buttonholes?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Tomasso said:
I've never noticed this on my T&A shirts. What is the rationale behind the larger UK buttonholes?

Simple. Until the '90s, Americans preferred swivel-backed cufflinks, and those don't require large buttonholes. Brits, however, went more for double-sided links, and those definitely do require larger buttonholes.

I've noticed that since the '90s, the more expensive American shirts now have larger buttonholes for cufflinks. Why? Because Americans started getting into double-sided links.

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I wear links with bars only because I was given a pile of them by my grandfather when he passed away. Partly sentimental and partly style. There are only a few pairs I have deemed worthy of wearing, however, for most of them are so gaudy that I wouldn't dare exit the house with them.

Matt

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
well, apparently, the seller of my cufflinks lost some of them, so I get a full refund. I think I'd have rather had all the cufflinks.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
OP is referring to something like....
s1031264.jpg

These?
Apologies for the terribad photos. The rectangular ones bear my grandfather's monogram, which is a nice little touch. Can anyone date these by any chance?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I can't say I prefer them, but certainly use and enjoy them. As for dressing in a rush, why would that ever happen? Certain things must never be rushed. Dressing is one.....;)

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
I have never had double-faced cufflinks, but I agree that I wouldn't sacrifice the variety and versatility of the Bascule kind. Not that I have many cufflinks currently!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW