Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cup of tea?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube;MGQASun9d8E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQASun9d8E[/video]

That it does, that it does.

I'm an occasional tea-drinker here. Like mine with a dibbly-dabble of honey in it for the sweetness. I like Cammomile, Mint and Rooibos.

In fact, just before I spotted this thread, I went and made myself a pot of tea. It's cold here and I need something heat me up!!

TidiousTed

Practically Family
I see that there is room for a little confusion here. Only leaves from the tea bush is correctly called tea. Mint, rooibos and other hot drinks made by infusing dried leaves other than tea in hot water is if one likes to be correct called infusion ;)

TidiousTed

Practically Family
My personal choice is loose leaf, Ceylon Orange Pekoe, followed by Russian Caravan.

That strong black Russian tea you get in Russian Caravan is a great pick-me-up in the morning. I usually use Samovar Dusjka which is Russian Caravan with seven different citrus oils added. It is particularly nice with a teaspoon or two of akasi honey.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I see that there is room for a little confusion here. Only leaves from the tea bush is correctly called tea. Mint, rooibos and other hot drinks made by infusing dried leaves other than tea in hot water is if one likes to be correct called infusion ;)

What's correct and what's practical, sadly, are often two different things. Herbal tea is understood by all. Herbal infusion? Not so much. Sounds like a women's body wash - I think it actually is. People will think you're offering them soap. Retailers sell "infusion" as "tea", and thus the word "tea" aught to now, correctly, have an expanded definition. That's how I see it. If the point of communicating is to get a message across and understood, we might as well use the language of the person we're communicating with. I vote for amending the definition of tea and rendering infusion archaic. For what it's worth, my cafe is going to sell all the tea-like variants under the monicker of tea: rooibos tea, chamomile tea, etc. Whether right or wrong, it's what everyone understands. Even people who know what infusion is will know what we mean.

EDIT: More on topic, though, I've always been a fan of Earl Gray tea, myself. I think I mostly like the smell of it, but the taste is great too.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up

Awww...

*Leaves thread dejectedly*

bellaclaire

New in Town
Well, being from Yorkshire its gotta be Yorkshire tea!!! closely followed by Ringtons and then Tetley!!! these are simmular to what you may call "breakfast" tea......there a mixed black tea. i do like green tea, ginger, lemon and varies others but cannt beat a "builders" tea with milk and sugar.....served hot! in the Army known as a "brew"!! lol

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Genmaicha (Green tea with roasted rice) is a particular favourite.
genmaicha-green-tea-roasted-rice2.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I was using a friend's house in Majorca a while back and she had one of these gadgets in the kitchen. It worked like a charm.

1_penguin_tea.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
... Margaret's Hope estate in Darjeeling.
That is my Sunday afternoon read-the-newspaper tea!
Every morning I make a pot of Ceylon tea (Keniworth Estate), and enjoy a cup while listening to Morning Edition (NPR) on the radio.
The rest goes into a pre-heated thermos and into work with me. It is usually consumed by the time I have caught up on e-mail and FL postings.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
I take my tea drinking very serious, too. I never use tea bags. I do prefer chinese tea and here are my favorites: Lung Ching (Dragon well) green tea from the Zeijiang province;

top-lung-ching_2011.jpg

And a chinese stone tea, an Oolong (the name comes from the very high areas in which this tea grows, above 2000m) Jing Luo Tiao;

2213_0.jpg

Last edited:

dnjan

One Too Many
I had some Dragons Well a few years ago - a grad student of a colleague's brought some back for him after a trip home. He isn't a tea drinker, but he knew I was. So I was fortunate enough to have some tea that would normally be well out of my price range.
A very nice tea indeed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass