Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cures for the Musties

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
Miss Queenie's comment about her new dress and the musty smell has spurred me to ask, What is your cure for the musties?

I've found that sometimes the smell goes away with a few nights in the out-of-doors, but others, it seems like I try everything and it still lingers.

One thing that I've found that works on many items is to put the offending items in the clothes dryer with a wash cloth that has been sprayed with Fabreze. Personally, I don't like that smell of Fabreze much better than the musty smell, but used lightly like this, it does work without leaving that chemical odor.

So what works for you?

Lizzie

Zelda

New in Town
Cure for the Musties

My girlfriends recommended, and I have used with LIMITED success, putting a mixture of vodka and water, about 3/4 to 1/4, in a spray bottle, spraying the item, and then hanging it outside. I have a couple of 40s gabardine jackets that I bought off of Ebay that have that musty smell, and it has helped a little bit, but has not eliminated the smell entirely. These same friends also have recommended adding a few drops of listerine to the mixture, but I haven't tried that yet.

Does anyone else know of any solutions?

Zelda

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I learned this from Indiana Spielberg, I have had terribly musty items and placed them in a box with a copious amount of kitty litter (separated -of course). The kitty litter absorbs the smell. I left them in there for about 24 hours. I hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner