Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curly hair & pin curls

keira

New in Town
As any naturally curly haired gal will know, brushing dry hair is a big mistake and will only result in enormous frizz and poofiness. So my question is, what happens if a curly haired gal sets her hair in pin curls? Will then same thing happen if we try to brush them out?

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I have naturally curly hair, very curly in fact and I make sure I set it straight and dry before I reset it in the style I want. I never wet set pin curls. I roll them and then spritz with water and leave to dry or sleep in them. I cannot brush my hair if I leave it to dry naturally, the brush or anything else won't go through it. I find I don't end up with frizz this way. Yes it takes forever :)

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
How about when it comes to wavy hair?? any tips on how to make it look healthy???..my hair is naturally wavy and could be so difficult to manage..it tends to look dry and weird when its humid outside?? I have tried numerous shampoos and conditioners, yet I havent found something that has made my poor scalp and hair feel happy....:(

MissHannah

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
I have naturally curly hair, very curly in fact and I make sure I set it straight and dry before I reset it in the style I want. I never wet set pin curls. I roll them and then spritz with water and leave to dry or sleep in them. I cannot brush my hair if I leave it to dry naturally, the brush or anything else won't go through it. I find I don't end up with frizz this way. Yes it takes forever :)

I'm amazed to hear you have naturally curly hair GG! I always admire how effortlessly waved your hair looks and now I discover that you know the pain that is hair that has to be straightened before it can be curled. Solidarity my sister :)

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Oh yes I'm a mass of curls or frizz better describes it lol
In my long association with my hair I find curly hair never looks shiny and does have a dry appearance whether is it or not. As for humidity, my hair soaks it up and seems to grow in volume by leaps and bounds. As for shampoo and conditioner, baby shampoo is a favorite of mine and any number of moisturizing conditioners, lots of treatments too.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It may be because you're new?

=ritzy= said:
by the way this is totally of topic but I just tried to edit my comment and I couldn't?? does anyone else have this problem??? :eusa_doh:

Once you pass the magic point of 15 posts, all kinds of things open up to you.

I have wavy hair too, i know what you mean,. The humidity adds wave, but also frizz. It's a beast.

I do find that using a more moisturizing hairspray helps. I like the Isoplus 24 hour kind, I find it in the black people hair products.

Your avatar looks awfully familiar...where are you in CA?

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
Miss 1929 said:
Once you pass the magic point of 15 posts, all kinds of things open up to you.

I have wavy hair too, i know what you mean,. The humidity adds wave, but also frizz. It's a beast.

I do find that using a more moisturizing hairspray helps. I like the Isoplus 24 hour kind, I find it in the black people hair products.

Your avatar looks awfully familiar...where are you in CA?
Miss 1929,
I guess this just means that I must continue with my quest on posting more and more!! wohoooo!! that is exciting. :) :p By the way, thank you for the tip on the moisturizing hairspray. You are a life saver! I will keep my eyes open for it. My little brother works in a CVS, so I will tell him to keep his eyes open for it too.
As for where in California do I live at....I live in Echo Park, minutes away from Downtown Los Angeles....:D

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Mason and Pearson brush. I dry my hair straight, then sleep overnight in big fat pincurls. Next day I brush it out root to tip and spray it will a light serum/finishing spray.

My hair is naturally in little spirals, so you can guess how curly it is!

K

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Another natural curly girl here! I blow-dry mine straight using a large round brush with natural bristles and use a curling iron to do my pincurls. I find the heat from the iron smooths out the frizz a bit, but that could be just my weird hair ;)

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I dont pin curl - but I roll my hair up in velcro rollers when wet and take them out when I dry, then i brush and get loads of volume!

MissHannah

One Too Many
goldwyn girl said:
Oh yes I'm a mass of curls or frizz better describes it lol
In my long association with my hair I find curly hair never looks shiny and does have a dry appearance whether is it or not. As for humidity, my hair soaks it up and seems to grow in volume by leaps and bounds. As for shampoo and conditioner, baby shampoo is a favorite of mine and any number of moisturizing conditioners, lots of treatments too.

Oh god yes - my hair is ENORMOUS pre-straightening! And I don't have any actual curls, just a big pile of bushiness and a few bits that stick out horizontally here and there :) I'm now considering kidnapping you for hair-styling duties as well as the dressmaking :p

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
MissHannah said:
Oh god yes - my hair is ENORMOUS pre-straightening! And I don't have any actual curls, just a big pile of bushiness and a few bits that stick out horizontally here and there :) I'm now considering kidnapping you for hair-styling duties as well as the dressmaking :p

Whoo hoo, free trip to England, take me away :)

jayem

A-List Customer
Yeah, I just ride with it. I try to avoid hot tools at all costs since they so damage hair, so after I shower at night, I comb my hair though with a wide-tooth comb and let it sit for a bit, then when its still wet but not soaked, I put it in a pony-tail, but not pulling it all the way through the holder the second time (what kind of bun would you call that?). I make sure the holder is loose so it doesn't stay damp underneath. It's still a teency bit damp in the morning, usually, so I will smooth out the wavy/curly parts with a hot iron.

Now for setting hair, I noticed if I use a wet set at night, I just comb through the curls with a wide-tooth comb. It doesn't create the mass of frizz a bristle brush does, and it still keeps a majority of the curls.

MissHannah

One Too Many
My most effective (but most damaging) method is to blow-dry my hair as straight as it will go and then straighten it when it is dry. Sleep on it straight to let it settle and recover and then do a hot roller set in the morning. This gets me the smoothest curls and waves with the least fuzz and frizz. I use a bristle brush to smooth out the curls - this can cause static but is definitely the best way to calm frizz down. Finally I cover my head in hairspray and then spritz with a shine spray.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR