Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

current dress trends

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Because high waisted pants atrocious no matter how you look at it.
Who'd want to look like this?
d0a60e747a97b1c6d599c63fa94388cd.jpg
Symmetrical doesn't equal "good" .

These aren't high waisted pants. These are normal pants that are about four sizes too big on him. There is a huge difference. Properly cut pants wouldn't balloon out like that and look so silly.

Yup :) I like high waisted clothing on women, for the simple fact that they emphasize that hourglass figure, but on men, it looks more "boxy" than sleek, which is something I strongly dislike. But that is just my honest opinion though. I pants/jeans/chinos that look like this :
Classic-Navy-Blazer-by-Rugby-Ralph-Lauren-01.jpg
I think this look isn't so bad. I don't like the low rise, mostly because I don't like that little corner of shirt poking out from under the vest. As for the jacket, it fits him marvelously in the chest and shoulders, and if he was wearing a shirt that showed a bit (1/2-3/4") of cuff, it would look pretty sleek. The rolled jeans are just a trend, and I don't quite understand it (unless to show of "statement socks").
Also, I'm not a fan of women putting a belt over their (natural)waist, if you don't have a distinct hourglass shape already, a "waistbelt" will only make it so much more obvious, and in some cases, it'll look like you've got a tummy (by that, I mean belly-fat) .

Sometimes it can work, but often it does not. It is really difficult to create the illusion of an hourglass figure when it isn't there. Honestly, the only way it really works is with old school hoop skirts. It is amazing how a woman can appear to have a tiny waist when there is such a big skirt below it. Amazingly impractical, but very flattering.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Belts on dresses aren't so much there to create the illusion of a waist as they are to keep the dress from shifting around on the wearer, and to conceal the seam line between the bodice and the skirt. They're also a convenience -- I tuck my keys into mine at work.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
These aren't high waisted pants. These are normal pants that are about four sizes too big on him. There is a huge difference. Properly cut pants wouldn't balloon out like that and look so silly.
I don't think they are 4 sizes to big overall. Just too long. The width is great and just like Edward I would love to be able to buy this style from a store.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't think they are 4 sizes to big overall. Just too long. The width is great and just like Edward I would love to be able to buy this style from a store.

The width would be fine, but these don't look to me to be designed to be that wide, just to be average on a much bigger man. I love wide legged trousers, but these just simply don't fit him. Look at how much that belt is cinching the waist.

Flat Foot Floey

I am not sure. Maybe...[huh] The main "ballooning" is over the shoes though. I could imagine the rest would hang straight too. However I don't think he look very very bad. The picture was meant to illustrate the disadvantage of high waisted and full trousers.

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I agree the pants are too long and about two sizes too large. It looks like he wore the pants larger so he could tuck in the sweater and it not feel too tight.
The outfit in the second picture is nice, except I don't like the pants nor the no socks thing. I too think they look like they are from boys' clothing. My first thought was that it looks like he accidentally put on my 7 year old's pants.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
The picture was meant to illustrate the disadvantage of high waisted and full trousers.

That is why I was pointing out that they weren't a good example of wide, high waisted trousers, since they clearly don't fit him. Wide high waisted trousers look good (especially with a very fitted jacket or sweater).

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
I am already short legged with a long torso, so I do not need any help achieving the look. To try to minimize it I buy (when possible) from the "tall" selection of trousers and have them hemmed to fit my inseam. This gets me the longer rise I am looking for to put the waist of the trousers where it should be.

RichardH

One of the Regulars

I think this look isn't so bad. I don't like the low rise, mostly because I don't like that little corner of shirt poking out from under the vest. As for the jacket, it fits him marvelously in the chest and shoulders, and if he was wearing a shirt that showed a bit (1/2-3/4") of cuff, it would look pretty sleek. The rolled jeans are just a trend, and I don't quite understand it (unless to show of "statement socks").

Sometimes it can work, but often it does not. It is really difficult to create the illusion of an hourglass figure when it isn't there. Honestly, the only way it really works is with old school hoop skirts. It is amazing how a woman can appear to have a tiny waist when there is such a big skirt below it. Amazingly impractical, but very flattering.
I agree, but rolling the jeans during summertime & wearing no socks provides for extra cooling though, which is nice, but like you said, the rolled jeans thingy is "trendy" these days.

Last edited:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Confusing double post. It is just a matter of taste. The guy in the white trousers looks much much better to me and I wouldn't look like the skinny dude in the second picture anyway. I think skinny trousers either make X or Bowlegs. Also I quite like a belt at the height of the waist, maybe even worn over a cardigan. Classis 30s style for the ladies, if you ask me.

But this all is just my taste. I don't look down to people who don't agree. I just wonder if you would find this forum terribly frustrating. Haha.
Hehe, not really, I discovered this place because of my hat addiction, mainly. If you ever saw me on the street, I'd look more like this
slash.jpg
with jeans like this:
justice105.jpg
than anything else, although I do like to wear a good looking suit/blazer every now and then. My fascination is with all sorts of hats mainly. (That's why I don't really post pictures of myself in the "what are you wearing today" thread, since my "80's rocker" style is really out of touch here, haha)

Flicka

One Too Many
Somewhat edited version of earlier post

I don't mind the skinny jeans or even the roll-up, but the sleeves on the jacket make it look two sizes two small. He looks hip, but not very comfortable.

For trousers, I can never find any that fit me well. First, I have rather long legs for my height and long, wide hips (if that makes sense). I also have the widest chest (as in rib cage) in the history of mankind, which means that I have about 2 inches of waist, that also happens to be placed 4 inches over where it should be. My older sister is exactly the same and we've often bemoaned our stupid hips & ribcage. Hourglass doesn't even begin to describe it.

I basically have extremely heavy bonestructure, except in my arms and legs. I have skinny legs and and my wrists are so skinny I can more than wrap my fingers around them, despite having freakishly small hands. In tight jeans I sometimes feel like a bloated beetled scurrying about on my long, skinny appendages.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Sounds lees "freakish" than unique to me. [huh] And I am not even flirting.

Long legs, hours glass shape and small hands? I imagine a girl bemoaning just the opposite.

Flicka

One Too Many
Sounds lees "freakish" than unique to me. [huh] And I am not even flirting.

Long legs, hours glass shape and small hands? I imagine a girl bemoaning just the opposite.

I wrote that piece half asleep - sorry. I think my point got lost in my body issues. What I meant - which got lost - was that it's murder to find trousers that fit me. I've more or less given up on that. Low waists are probably the least flattering shape imagineable for any female but also usually still by far the most common. I look especially hideous in them (that's when the bloated spider look come out). Even trousers that are meant to be high waist become low waisted on me. If I ever find ones with high enough waist, the waist is usually too wide to fit between my hipbones and ribcage.

So when I get trousers, the look of the guy in white pants - ordinary trousers that are too big so that you can pull them up high - is the best I can hope for. It's basically Annie Hall or skirts for me.

Dresses never fit me either, but those I can make. Trousers... No. I'd really need to find a decent tailor who'd be willing to help me, but I'm not sure there even are any real tailors left in this country. Which probably means I'm going to have to learn how to make trousers or just give 'em up forever.

Since men can't do the latter, I have no idea how they manage. I suppose most just roll with the Charlie Brown-look.

(again, sorry for super-rambling confusion of last night - I need to give myself a computer curfew to avoid future embarassments. I don't even remember writing it, but it must have been right after I seem to have ordered a dressform from the UK for a few hundred pounds that probably won't fit into my flat. Lesson learned!)

Flat Foot Floey

No big deal. I often write confusing stuff too and I don't even have to be exhausted.
Since my girlfriend often sews for people of a very different body shape than her own she also struggles with this special task. In the end it works out but it is not easy for sure.
So she bought a book with many illustration for the different "problems" or body shapes. It is called "Pants for any body" by Pati Palmer & Susan Pletsch. I think it's from the 70s but this still means a high rise and also includes non-bell-bottom trousers. She didn't work with it yet but I had a look and it seems perfect for you. It's dirt cheap too. Less than 10 euro. Maybe you should give it a try.

Undertow

...In tight jeans I sometimes feel like a bloated beetled scurrying about on my long, skinny appendages. .

Flicka, I'm not laughing at you, but I think that description was hilarious! I picture something from a Tim Burton claymation film. It perked up my morning, thanks!

Floey, my lady also sews quite a bit and she's been considering some linen trousers for me and some wool trousers for herself. I will pass the name of that book on to her; I think she will very much appreciate it. Thanks for the tip!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For trousers, I can never find any that fit me well. First, I have rather long legs for my height and long, wide hips (if that makes sense). I also have the widest chest (as in rib cage) in the history of mankind, which means that I have about 2 inches of waist, that also happens to be placed 4 inches over where it should be. My older sister is exactly the same and we've often bemoaned our stupid hips & ribcage. Hourglass doesn't even begin to describe it.

I swear that modern pants aren't designed for womens' bodies. And i don't think they have been for a long time, my mother has pants from the early 70s that must have been designed for aliens and sold as womens' clothing. Horrid things are impossible to get on.

rene_writer

Familiar Face
The new "curve ID" pants are actually great. I know it sounds gimmicky, but I've got a couple of the Target brand in Fit 4 ) which is about the same as Levi's Super Curve and I have never had pants that fit so well in my life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner