Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

current dress trends

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Undertow - very informative posts. You might be a lot heaver than me, but I wager you're in a heck of a lot better shape! Your comments regarding marketing trickery brings to mind the old saying, one of my favourites: There are lies, there are damned lies, and there are statistics.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
At the risk of kicking the dead horse until it falls to pieces in the road, nobody's ever come up with a reasonable answer to the question I always ask when this issue comes up: why do men want their torsos to look long and their legs to look short and stubby? Wearing pants anywhere but at the natural waistline makes the body look asymmetrical, and is unflattering by any standard by which such things can be judged on any normally-built adult male -- so why do it? What do these men see when they look in the mirror that makes them think YEAH BABY THE CHICKS DIG GUYS BUILT LIKE CHARLIE BROWN! WOO! SMOKIN'!

Seriously, what do they see?
Because high waisted pants atrocious no matter how you look at it.
Who'd want to look like this?
d0a60e747a97b1c6d599c63fa94388cd.jpg
Symmetrical doesn't equal "good" .

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Really? Because I think that looks one hundred times better [huh]
Yup :) I like high waisted clothing on women, for the simple fact that they emphasize that hourglass figure, but on men, it looks more "boxy" than sleek, which is something I strongly dislike. But that is just my honest opinion though. I pants/jeans/chinos that look like this :
Classic-Navy-Blazer-by-Rugby-Ralph-Lauren-01.jpg

Also, I'm not a fan of women putting a belt over their (natural)waist, if you don't have a distinct hourglass shape already, a "waistbelt" will only make it so much more obvious, and in some cases, it'll look like you've got a tummy (by that, I mean belly-fat) .

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Absolutely. If he brought the cuffs up a little bit so they didn't drag around the floor and hung on his legs a little better, I think he'd look perfectly fine. He's got a nicely-proportioned build, and with some minor adjustments those pants would suit him fine.

Noirblack

One of the Regulars

These pants look great on this guy in terms of where the waistband is. I don't recognize him but he's up on a stage and might have been singing or dancing. I think the pants might have slipped down an inch or two. I also like the skinny belt he has on.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Yup :) I like high waisted clothing on women, for the simple fact that they emphasize that hourglass figure, but on men, it looks more "boxy" than sleek, which is something I strongly dislike. But that is just my honest opinion though. I pants/jeans/chinos that look like this :

Also, I'm not a fan of women putting a belt over their (natural)waist, if you don't have a distinct hourglass shape already, a "waistbelt" will only make it so much more obvious, and in some cases, it'll look like you've got a tummy (by that, I mean belly-fat) .

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Confusing double post. It is just a matter of taste. The guy in the white trousers looks much much better to me and I wouldn't look like the skinny dude in the second picture anyway. I think skinny trousers either make X or Bowlegs. Also I quite like a belt at the height of the waist, maybe even worn over a cardigan. Classis 30s style for the ladies, if you ask me.

But this all is just my taste. I don't look down to people who don't agree. I just wonder if you would find this forum terribly frustrating. Haha.

Feraud

Bartender
The guy in the cap looks like he hit a growth spurt and nothing fits right.
I want to tell him he's a big boy now and to shop at the grown-ups store..

Edward

Bartender
University researchers aren't blameless in promuigating the Cult Of Skinny.

Note the industry definition of "plus size models" -- it starts at size six. Although it varies according to manufacturer, the average modern size six has a 34 inch bust, a 26 inch waist, and 37 inch hips.

"Plus size." "Chubby."

Are you angry yet? If you aren't, you need to rethink a whole lot more than just your fashion sense.

I've never been able to fathom how it works in relation to women's sizes. "Plus size" over here is two or three sizes below what is simply "normal". The only shocking thing about the fashion industry is that it is not a shock when you see the girls told they are "too big for the catwalk", or the girl who was a 34C being told to have a breast reduction if she wanted to do catwalk work. At the risk of being patronising, I find the very suggestion that we men might be exposed to anything remotely close to this frankly laughable. When whoever that nameless model on the cover of GQ is is more famous and talked about than Alan Sugar, or some little boy poppet off whatever reality TV show is more talked about on the news than the Prime Minister, then I'll start to believe we men have it tough. We poor, put upon middle-aged, bald, fat, white, Christian men especially. Oh how we have suffered throughout history... :eusa_doh:

Snopes seems to believe that the homosexual availability rumor grew popular because it let people ridicule a fashion they didn't like.

Pretty much - most especially because the sort of little boys who wear their trousers like that are for the most part sufficiently homophobic that the suggestion they might be gay is regarded by them as a grievous insult.

You'll find yourself severely in the minority on that opinion in these parts. This fellow's trousers are clearly too long for him (a fashionable way to wear them, it seems, over the past few years), but that aside I only wish it was as simple a matter as walking into a high street store and being able to buy trousers like this. It is truly hateful to be so limited when it comes to buying trousers, but I decline the discomfort and elongated torso-look of the below-the-waist-waist.

Jinkies, I'd rather wear my pjs out than those. I'm not opposed to drainpipes, but a waist that low looks ridiculous and feels worse. YMMV, naturally.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family

If you got rid of the top half of the above outfit,

And ditched the lower half of the outfit below (keep the shoes, mayhap), I reckon you'd have the foundations of a nice wardrobe. (Particularly love the waistcoat/vest, actually) I don't mean this to be nasty, but to me it looks like this guy nicked his girlfriend's jeans and got in mind to go a-fishing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner