Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current G1 Jacket

kriskross4

New in Town
Hi Guys, just wondering does anyone own the current Cockpit Milspec G1? And if you do could you please tell me what size you purchased along with your chest size. This is just to verify whether the Cockpit runs true to size. When I did a search here I came across a member saying that the current jackets looks "floppy in person" which is a slight let down but others may disagree?

Deacon211

One Too Many
That might have been me that said that they were floppy. I was referring to the softness of the leather more than the fit.

The fit is I think pretty true to size, not oversized like some current makers. The quality of the build is good as well. The only thing I was let down by was that the leather was a bit "spongy" as though the leather surface and the bottom layers had some play between them.

The Cockpit was one of my first leather jackets back in '90 and was at the time much nicer than the jacket I was issued concurrently from the Navy Depot.

I think the leather quality has slipped a bit, but it still looks good in pictures if they remain on that old thread. I personally like the US Wings offerings a bit better.

Full disclosure: I only saw USW low end A-2 but was impressed with the quality of the leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deacon211

One Too Many
Have you considered asking Steve Sellers if he could make you a modern G-1? He's not really much more expensive than the Cockpit and you would get a custom fitted jacket in a G-1 spec with wool/mouton that was at least as accurate as many repro makers (seeing as they are all across the map on sizing as are the actual mil-issue makers).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peacoat

Bartender
Another good option is to find a 1960s G=1. They have the goat and the mouton collar. Several of us on the board have them. ButteMT61 was the last to get one. Maybe he will let us know how he likes his. I am more than pleased with mine.

Another good option is to find a 1960s G=1. They have the goat and the mouton collar. Several of us on the board have them. ButteMT61 was the last to get one. Maybe he will let us know how he likes his. I am more than pleased with mine.
Loving it!
Posted up some pics yesterday in the "WJAYWT" thread.
I've found the G-1's to be "floppy" as @Deacon211 stated above.
The fit can be better than A-2's as it has normally has a gusset under the pits.
The goat used is very pliable and the mouton is a nice touch when it cools. Rayon lining means on/off is easy and I don't feel like I have to baby it - even though it's almost as old as me.
I would personally try to find a nice used one - I think there's a 38/40 unit in the classifieds at this moment for $300!

Peacoat

Bartender
Loving it!
The fit can be better than A-2's as it has normally has a gusset under the pits.
The goat used is very pliable and the mouton is a nice touch when it cools. Rayon lining means on/off is easy and I don't feel like I have to baby it - even though it's almost as old as me.
I would personally try to find a nice used one - I think there's a 38/40 unit in the classifieds at this moment for $300!
I just took a look at your G-1. Nice. Nothing quite like those early issue G-1s, and I believe I remember yours is a C series.

kriskross4

New in Town
Loving it!
Thanks for the heads up, btw wheres the classifieds on this site as I couldn't find it. Would like to have a look at the unit you mention.

Nick123 and I are the same chest size, the sleeves are a good fit too, will be kicking myself if I don't get this one but all thanks to you Butte and may all the good Karma come your way!
Hey, the karma is all @nick123's! Nice welcome to the lounge, but this is not an anomaly - there's some truly swell people here - consider this a great day in many respects. Hope the jacket works for you!

kriskross4

New in Town
Hey, the karma is all @nick123's! Nice welcome to the lounge, but this is not an anomaly - there's some truly swell people here - consider this a great day in many respects. Hope the jacket works for you!
Considering its already Friday the 13th where I am, I am one of the lucky ones to start the day off on a good note! But yes special thank you to Nick123 for being so kind with his offer. Its a good feeling to know how helpful and nice people can be on forums like these especially when we've never met. There's another member by the name of Peacock and a few others who were also very helpful whenever I had a question. Thank you to all of you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot