Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first leather jacket

Yun_bw

New in Town
Hi,

it's been a while I have worn or bought a leather jacket. Recently came across our legacy leather jacket, and I love the simplicity and the crop fit of the jacket. I was wondering if I could find any makers that could offer a minimalist look and the possibility of a custom jacket length/slightly shorter length than a regular typical leather jacket with higher quality material?

it's been a while I have looked into leathers, but what are currently idealy leather option in the market that offers comfort and somewhat wearble in warmer climate (Locate in southern California)?

Currently have found addict clothes ad-01, aero leather crossack, and maybe tenjin work jt01 might within the style I'm looking for.

I'm open to brand, leather, detail suggestions as I just plan to get a single black leather jacket and have it fit most if all my want for a jacket. I will be visiting in Japan in the year where I can go see the store in person, so just want to narrow to couple options. Open to custom/bespoke maker as well if theres no options in rtw.

Criteria I look:
No chest pocket
collared
no zipper sleeve
1696623692219.png

Hi,

it's been a while I have worn or bought a leather jacket. Recently came across our legacy leather jacket, and I love the simplicity and the crop fit of the jacket. I was wondering if I could find any makers that could offer a minimalist look and the possibility of a custom jacket length/slightly shorter length than a regular typical leather jacket with higher quality material?

it's been a while I have looked into leathers, but what are currently idealy leather option in the market that offers comfort and somewhat wearble in warmer climate (Locate in southern California)?

Currently have found addict clothes ad-01, aero leather crossack, and maybe tenjin work jt01 might within the style I'm looking for.

I'm open to brand, leather, detail suggestions as I just plan to get a single black leather jacket and have it fit most if all my want for a jacket. I will be visiting in Japan in the year where I can go see the store in person, so just want to narrow to couple options. Open to custom/bespoke maker as well if theres no options in rtw.

Criteria I look:
No chest pocket
collared
no zipper sleeve View attachment 550611
While I don't really like the jacket you pictured, I believe Johnson Leathers in SF would make you a great one. I would also look at Lewis Leathers (Corsair). I have a jacket of theirs in Sheepskin (not lambskin) and it's great here in LA. I would steer you away from Horween CXL and other heavy leathers.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^+1 to all he said

Stick with Johnson's in San Francisco, support a family run shop - and they will make it for you as you desire.
Their website is no reflection at all of the goods they make, FYI

Welcome to FL!

Yun_bw

New in Town
Thank you, I will check out Johnson! Totally understand the jacket I'm looking for probably won't appeal to a lot of people. It's just something that I think will complement my current wardrobe.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think what HM's mean is more about how huge the sleeve on that particular jacket pictured and how short and wide the cuff is sitting on the wrist and how boxy and baggy the jacket is, not about its style or the lack of chest pocket, personally I think if the cuff is wide then it must be longer than the wrist , and if the cuff is ending at the wrist then it must be narrow to the wrist either with zipped cuff or knit cuff, combination of wide and short at sleeve end is the ultimate deal breaker.

Yun_bw

New in Town
Totally, I do plan to have the sleeve fit me on the longer side with a similar volume while the jacket remains somewhat boxy cut or slightly more tailored when I speak with the maker. Do you have any suggestions on how would the back of this style of jacket should look like? It's been something I've been lurking around.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
probably half belt back with with a pair of side adjuster straps, or at least 3 pieces back without adjuster if you want more minimalist look (2 side panels and 1 center back panel) as I try to avoid center back line

Edward

Bartender
If I was looking for a really nice jacket that was in the region of what I presume the one pictured in the OP to be aiming for, I'd start off looking at an Aero Highwayman - custom order would be very easy to delete the chest pocket (though if you could live with it, a stock model will be available very much more quickly).

Depending on how minimalist you want to go, the HWM has a nice plain back with just a simply yoke over the shoulders, and a simple waistband at the bottom. Slightly more detailed, but still fairly minimal, is the August:

Personally I wouldn’t jump into anything custom made, without trying a bunch of jackets first.

There are so many great off the rack jackets that fit your description, that I wouldn’t try to reinvent the wheel. YMMV.

+1. OP- As others have mentioned, for a first jacket I also would just go from rack to rack trying it all out. It can get expensive but at least you are in Cali with a bit more options nearby to at least handle and put on.

OTR shopping would help make sure the style and fit is what you want. Heck, to make sure leather jackets are what you really want too.

If you’ve done some of this and arrived at this jacket- Johnson Leathers is the way. Good luck.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Looking at the sample picture, I was thinking about Aero 59‘er Highwayman (specced with normal cuffs).

The Corsiar from Lewis Leathers has been mentioned (one of my personal faves for a very reduced and clean look), but I am afraid they won’t chance the zip sleeves.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Looking at the sample picture, I was thinking about Aero 59‘er Highwayman (specced with normal cuffs).

The Corsiar from Lewis Leathers has been mentioned (one of my personal faves for a very reduced and clean look), but I am afraid they won’t chance the zip sleeves.

Apologies, I have only now read the original post thoroughly: you have already tracked down the Addict AD 01.
This is basically a repro of the LL „Corsair“ without the chest patch and in a rather nicer leather than the original (unless you invest in the rather pricey veg tan horse/cow hides from LL).

Here’s mine.

image.jpeg

Yun_bw

New in Town
If I was looking for a really nice jacket that was in the region of what I presume the one pictured in the OP to be aiming for, I'd start off looking at an Aero Highwayman - custom order would be very easy to delete the chest pocket (though if you could live with it, a stock model will be available very much more quickly).

[/URL]

Depending on how minimalist you want to go, the HWM has a nice plain back with just a simply yoke over the shoulders, and a simple waistband at the bottom. Slightly more detailed, but still fairly minimal, is the August:

[/URL]
Thanks I did come across these 2 models just curious how would I go on the process to delete the chest pocket? Because on their customization page it doesn’t show I assume I would have to email? If I decide to go with aero

Yun_bw

New in Town
Personally I wouldn’t jump into anything custom made, without trying a bunch of jackets first.

There are so many great off the rack jackets that fit your description, that I wouldn’t try to reinvent the wheel. YMMV.
I plan to visit some stores in LA today, do you have any recommendations? All I found is self edge, snake oil provision, and the stronghold

Don’t think I try/want to reinvent the wheel just so far with my research haven’t found many that match my description except the possibility with aero.

Take a soft tape measure, and make notes of things you like and well fitting measurements. There is also a Schott store not far from Self Edge. Snake Oil and Stronghold are pretty far apart (Highland Park/ Venice), but on a weekend might be doable. Freenote Cloth is 2 blocks away from Snake Oil.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
@handymike has given you some great suggestions.

Enjoy the hunt:)
I plan to visit some stores in LA today, do you have any recommendations? All I found is self edge, snake oil provision, and the stronghold

Don’t think I try/want to reinvent the wheel just so far with my research haven’t found many that match my description except the possibility with aero.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks I did come across these 2 models just curious how would I go on the process to delete the chest pocket? Because on their customization page it doesn’t show I assume I would have to email? If I decide to go with aero
When ordering, there is an input field in which you can enter comments, for example, remove the breast pocket.
Usually you are then also contacted regarding the dimensions.
I clarify everything in advance by email.

Edward

Bartender

When ordering, there is an input field in which you can enter comments, for example, remove the breast pocket.
Usually you are then also contacted regarding the dimensions.
I clarify everything in advance by email.

As Mr P says, there's a comments option in the ordering process. If in doubt, email and they'll see you right.

I hope you had a fun day out yesterday.
I found the jacket in your OP, and I think you can do much better than this one at $1700.
Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 8.00.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-08 at 8.07.49 AM.png

If you really like this styling, I would recommend looking into 5 Star. They will make you a custom jacket for close to $375-$400.
Use what you gleaned from your measurements and fits and read this thread:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/five-star-leather-jackets.101762/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner