Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customer experiences with Bill Kelso

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a dog in this hunt, they don't make em big enough fer me... BUT I can understand both sides. I'm having a custom 50's Halfbelt built for me. It should've shipped already, but I've been in contact with the maker and he's said sometime this week. In that this is NOT a design he normally makes and he's doing a truly custom job, I'd rather he take his time and get it RIGHT than have him rush it to satisfy my Jonesing nature. I used a credit card and I'm well within the time limit for a claim. If I don't see a UPS shipping notice by Thursday I'll email again. However if I'd been burned in the past I might be way less tolerant. It comes down to individuals. "The customer is always right" is a nice way to do business BUT everyone has lines and limits. I like that Aero doesn't charge (or so I believe) until a product ships, that to me would be a perfect way of doing business in the high end, custom jacket world.

Worf

Last edited:

JollyGreenSlugg

New in Town
G'day folks,

For what it's worth, I'm already saving up for my next Bill Kelso jacket. I'm thinking that a russet jacket in a slightly slimmer cut (than my current BK) is what I'm looking for. I don't think I'll be in a position to buy until after Christmas, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can buy.

Cheers,
Matt

Justhandguns

Practically Family
G'day folks,

For what it's worth, I'm already saving up for my next Bill Kelso jacket. I'm thinking that a russet jacket in a slightly slimmer cut (than my current BK) is what I'm looking for. I don't think I'll be in a position to buy until after Christmas, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can buy.

Cheers,
Matt

Same here, I want a Dubow at a reasonable price. I also don't mind the waiting as well.

I think, in a way, Andy is here at the forum, maybe it is easier to contact him via the PM here?
BK also has a presence at VLJ forum, I guess these are the best way to communicate.

I strongly recommend that BK should just change the delivery time to 6-8weeks. I have seen
people ordering from the far east without any big hassles.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
In support of Bill Kelso, I have dealt with them on 5 occasions, and never once doubted them, and never once disappointed. I understand how delays make people nervous, so direct honest communication is the best policy when these glitches occur. I myself, would trust Bill Kelso with... , well, maybe not brain surgery, but anything to do with jackets, and leather goods. :)

Andy, keep up the great progress with your products.

FAFOO68

Familiar Face
Hello gentlemen,
To complete my story with BK, I want to say that ultimately they have been honest.
The jacket I received is consistent with my order and resembles that of Andrew (see his review of the Willis & Geiger M-422).
So I cancelled my complaint with Paypal.
All of this could have been avoided with better communication that would have reassured me with my expectation.
But I've already been defrauded in the past, so I became very suspicious and I won't hesitate to do it again if the seller seems suspicious to me.
Cheers,
F68

schitzo

Suspended
well that is half of a perfect ending. The other half would be for Andy to come back on and retract his 'your business is not wanted' tirade, and let bygones be bygones. To do so would show humility. Either way Bill Kelso have come out of this well

Glad it arrived OK. I've told Andy a number of times after Aero USA, people are rightly on edge over late deliveries and bad communications. Hopefully they get things working smoothly and steadily for new clients. I do believe Andy felt and about the comments he posted, and I take him at his word on that. Surely it's frustrating.

Flash

Familiar Face
Here is my experience with BK.
Last summer I ahve decided to order a BK A-2. I have contacted them in the middle of august. After some email in which andy patienly replied all my questions And told me that the best time to place an order will be the end of august, becouse of their holiday. The order has been placed on the 30th August 2011 and on 30th September I had the jacket at home. The service of BK and communication with Andy was perfect. He always replied in max couple of hours and his advices was very helpful. So I am now for more than a year happy Bill Kelso Rough Wear 27752 A-2 jacket owner.

My next experience is from today.
I have decided to order one jacket as a christmas gift for my brother. Yesterday afternoon I have contacted Andy. I need help with the size atc. Andy Again was very patient and gave me good advices. Also he informed me about goods which are not updated yet to their website. And communicated also at 07:40PM. Generally in less than 24 hours all my questions was replied and great help with an order had been provided me. So I could place an PayPal before an houre. I know it is only the first half of transaction but after my last year experience I am realy not worried about th BK service. And if any troubles with my order will occure I now I`ll be perfectly informed.
I will let you know how this sale will come off when the jacket arrives.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
" Good Communication"
GoodCommunication.jpg

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Quoted for truth! I wish vendors would realise that their single most important customer service tool is prompt communication with customers, especially in this age of global e-commerce.

All of this could have been avoided with better communication that would have reassured me with my expectation.
F68

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Well, Andy wrote me yesterday to let me know that my RW27752 was shipped to me. :eek:

I haven't any problem with waiting. This order took exactly 2 months to be completed, which is actually faster than any other maker that I have dealt so far.

If pleased with this jacket, I can see myself ordering more :)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Well, Andy wrote me yesterday to let me know that my RW27752 was shipped to me. :eek:

I haven't any problem with waiting. This order took exactly 2 months to be completed, which is actually faster than any other maker that I have dealt so far.

If pleased with this jacket, I can see myself ordering more :)

I don't believe that folks have problems with "waiting", but rather the issue of being told a certain time & not
following up. I would rather the vendor tell me, it's going to take long time & I will notify when it's your turn,
instead of …"ok ! 2 weeks or whatever" ! It's like the catch phrase from sales people on things not done right...
" SORRY BOUT THAT "….. you know that they don't mean it or really care . My 2 ¢ …..now I will get off the
soap box…. :eusa_clap

I don't believe that folks have problems with "waiting", but rather the issue of being told a certain time & not
following up. I would rather the vendor tell me, it's going to take long time & I will notify when it's your turn,
instead of …"ok ! 2 weeks or whatever" ! It's like the catch phrase from sales people on things not done right...
" SORRY BOUT THAT "….. you know that they don't mean it or really care . My 2 ¢ …..now I will get off the
soap box…. :eusa_clap

Same thoughts here.
No problem waiting a long time for a product if that is what I was quoted.
If a quoted delivery time of a couple of weeks stretches out to a couple of months however......can't help but wondering if there are some issues.

andyfalzon

Vendor
Thanks for all your comments. We appreciate the feedback, negative or positive and keep trying improve our services.

For your info, many people ask for lead time after they have placed the order and paid.
Therefore, the advice we give cannot be used as a sales trick to get the customer.

Please note that the delivery notice is always given in good faith based upon the info presently available and subject to all going well, unforeseen circumstances whatsoever always excepted.

When we have a material on order and someone asks for delivery estimate, we add at least one week on top of our actual calculated estimate and give him that. The one week plus is to cover the delay of the supply of that material, so you understand our frustration when that time has passed (including the extra allowance) and the material hasn't shown up yet. We hate to become exposed like that.

We will only delay the order if someone else has delayed our order. It's a matter of logistics really, as ALL the materials used in the jackets are imported, even down and shipping boxes which we buy from the UK. And one cannot keep large stock of everything as the cost (and risk) of that would be enormous.

Regarding follow up, we try our best, but there's only one of us handling the correspondence, while doing many other tasks at the same time.
Some customers just send us 2 emails, one with their order and one to say "thank you" when they receive it and others send us 50 emails (no exaggeration) before they even order. We try to treat everybody the same and we want the customers to be satisfied with the service and happy with the jackets. We consider our customers to be our friends as we are all passionate about the same thing, the jackets. We love the jackets, we are not just the maker, we are also big fans.

Finally, on behalf of Bill Kelso would like to apologize if we hurt anyone's feelings before. It was not our intention. Every one of our friends is welcome to our house (shop) and they should feel like the guest of honor.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
I would rather the vendor tell me, it's going to take long time & I will notify when it's your turn, instead of …"ok ! 2 weeks or whatever"

I agree with this. I think it is better for both parties, customer and maker, to have a more realistic waiting time. Doing so, the maker wouldn't be swamped with emails asking where is my order.

However, from another point of view, I think some people (not the quoted member in particular) sometimes behave in a newbie or naive way. I mean, most of people in here are not new to ordering leather jackets. Me and a lot of people have experience with almost all famous dealers around (around the world).

We do know our waiting times and we do know that this business not only does involve crafting your jacket but sourcing raw materials, and this process is very time consuming.

Two months for completing a custom order is very fast. In comparison, Good Wear has waiting times of one year. [huh]

I think Andy was telling that they take 2 weeks in completing an order, given they have already all the materials, not to catch any customer. Other producers just give you longer waiting times and they never talk about their internal processes.

My take on following up emails is that I prefer to let the maker do his job than having a weekly email explaining me the state of my order :D Let them do more leather jackets.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy