Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Customer Service -JJ Hat center NYC

Wandering Fool

New in Town
On Tuesday, I travelled to NYC to see a play with my wife. We had time to kill on Tuesday afternoon and so found ourselves heading out from Times Square heading south on Fifth Avenue. I would be lying to say the route didn't have an ulterior motive. While my wife was enjoying stopping at the various shops along the way, my destination was 310 Fifth Avenue and the JJ Hat Center.

A word about me and New York City. I live in Northern Vermont. It is quiet here and I enjoy the peacefulness. For me, going to NYC is like removing my earplugs and finding myself strapped to a timpani as the orchestra launches into "Thus Spake Zarathustra".

When I walked into the store and shut the door, I left the city noises behind and found myself surrounded by walls of hats. The store itself was narrow and long, with high ceilings and because of the wood on the walls, the place had an old world feel to it.

I was wearing a new hat I just received a few weeks ago. The crown was too tall for me and I mentioned it to the man behind the counter. His name was Kevin Todd. Within a minute , it was off my head and at the steamer. It was a little like watching someone do card tricks, his hands moved so quickly. He demonstrated several different bashes in the hat and kept, adjusting it and putting it on... and taking it off, bring the height down until he got it just right. What a difference.

Now, as you may realize from reading this, this was the first time I had seen this done and I was impressed. I had been a little timid about doing this myself. What I liked about Kevin, is that he took the time to show me how to do it. We spent a long time talking about hats and looking at them and seeing the different qualities of felts.

The reason that I am taking the time to write about this is because this kind of service is not found in a department store. I genuinely appreciate good service and when I find it, I want others to know about it too. Kevin Todd spent at least an hour talking about hats with me and educating me at the same time.

Yes, I did buy a hat. A Borsalino that cost more than what I could have paid on the internet. I am by nature, always looking for a good deal and generally will shop around for the lowest price. I bought the hat there because of the service and because they treated me like I was a returning customer, not like someone new who just walked in off the street. For me, it is worthwhile to support a place like this, where good service can still be found.

So, for what it is worth, Kevin Todd and JJ Hat Center get thumbs up from me. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Now today, I am off to Montreal to pick up my daughter and will be stopping at Henri-Henri, the hat store where I bought my first fedora 15 years ago.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Nice post, and I'm glad to hear your experience at JJ was a good one. I, too, have received very good treatment there; they've always been welcoming and accommodating to me, even when I just stopped in to have a hat spruced up (often, it was one I didn't even buy there).

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Dear WF,
Sounds like a do a good deal of wandering...and none of it sounds foolish. :eek:fftopic: don't worry: pretty soon you won't have to go to NYC...the few Yorkers still left there will be moving to VT, like the rest of their brethren, shortly...

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this post. Not only have you done the merchant a favor...you've done us one, as well.

"Skeet"

Feraud

Bartender
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD] :eek:fftopic: don't worry: pretty soon you won't have to go to NYC...the few Yorkers still left there will be moving to VT, like the rest of their brethren, shortly...
[/QUOTE] Eh? Who's gone where?

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Eh? Who's gone where?

Well--assuming you're serious in your question, which could well be--(and spoken as a Yorker myself, although resident in NE for 30-some years):

Starting in the 70s, there was an influx of city-folk into Vermont, small at first but continually growing; part of the whole back-to-the-earth, neoHippie thing. What had been a fairly sparsely settled, rural, agricultural state (with all that goes with that politically, socially, and everyotherwhichway) began to change...radically (pun intended :rolleyes: ) Within 30 years, a conservative, solidly Republican state has become one of the most liberal Democratic states in the Union. This change was brought about by the demographic shift outlined above...and most of the folks moving in were Yorkers. Now, I'm not here (and don't really care) to discuss whether this is a good, bad, or indiferent thing: but it has happened.

And that's what I meant :)

Cheers,
"Skeet"

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic. Let me know when rents fall to under 1k for a decent place in Manhattan. I'd love a place near the park. :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks "Skeet".

Lefty said:
Fantastic. Let me know when rents fall to under 1k for a decent place in Manhattan. I'd love a place near the park. :rolleyes:
You cannot be homeless on the streets of NYC for less than 1k a month. ;)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Contrast the pleasant vibe at JJ's with this place I used to go to on Greenwich Ave. They did okay cleaning & stretching my Borsalino Alessandria, but refused to do an early 50s Selco on the pretext that "this kind of hat isn't meant to be cleaned." Or stretched. Or anything.

It was beaver fur felt.

It said so right in the sweatband.

:rage:

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Contrast the pleasant vibe at JJ's with this place I used to go to on Greenwich Ave. They...refused to do an early 50s Selco on the pretext that "this kind of hat isn't meant to be cleaned." Or stretched. Or anything. :rage:

Well, Fletch, there's places to get good service and places...where you won't...everywhere in the world. That's one reason I think our wandering friend did us all a favor in sharing his experiences...with name and address.

But, as an(other) ex-Yorker....NYC does have a particularly good line in "where you won't," always has, and (at least during my tenure) seemed...rather proud of the fact [huh]

One reason I ran screaming for the hills as soon as I was able. But...SVVM QVICQUE/Jedem das seine/chacun son gout/whudevah

"Skeet"

Aerol

A-List Customer
Phil Hoff, a Democrat, was elected governor in 1963, well before the "New York invasion." Since then Vermont has alternated between Republican and Democrats as governors.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Wandering Fool said:
So, for what it is worth, Kevin Todd and JJ Hat Center get thumbs up from me. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

:eusa_clap

Hi, did you know that JJ's building used to be the original IBM office? They even have the original IBM plaque still up on the back wall!

A great place - they are unbelievably friendly.

(In marked contrast to the crackpot owner of Cheap Jacks across the way....) :(

mike

Call Me a Cab
I buy caps from them for more than I can pick em up online because I choose to support their fantastic store and business ethic!

MCrider

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
You cannot be homeless on the streets of NYC for less than 1k a month. ;)

Reading down through the thread, I about fell off the chair laughing when I got to your comment Feraud! That was just too funny. Even if it's true.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
I live on the upper west side of Manhattan and can be at the park in less than a five minute walk.

Well it seems I made a mistake again, I was talking about Kansas. I did not know New York has a Manhattan as well. My bad. BTW we call ours the little apple.

Lefty, you can find a place here in your mentioned price range(but not by much).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy