Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dare I start a doll thread?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Doll everything!

Anyone collect dolls such as the Franklin Mint dressables, Minikins, Cissy, Gene or other 15 inch fashion dolls?

I have a few Genes, Fm Marilyn, Rose, and about 4 Scarletts.. oh and Joesephene. I just LOVE the clothes tho! I need to collect for more Gene or Madra, etc..., as they have the cute 40's and 50's attire. So do the new Minikins.

As for paper dolls, I adore Ralph Hodgdon's work. Does anyone else have any of his paper dolls? I have bought over 35 pages from him directly of GWTW. His details are amazing. And I love corresponding with him. He does not have a computer, everything is done the old fashion way, hehe.. If anyone is interested I will be glad to email you his price list. It shows everything he does.. all those classic Hollywood stars!! And yes, even Elvis!!

Alot of his work is in coloring books, I want to order so many!! Ralph was good friends with Walter Plunkett, so he really got the scoop on many of the garments he drew. They are fun for fashion examples.

Ohairas

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
In the 1930s Sunday papers used to print paper dolls of the weekly characters.
I have a book that reprinted some of these.
I'll send more information later.

The Wolf

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Doll Hats

Hi Gals,

I know a while back there was a bit of discussion re: doll hats, and I believe one lady mentioned that her father made lasts to shape these delightful accessories on.

I'd love to learn more about how hats, but doll hats particularly, are made, the sorts of occasions one could wear them on, or what with. If anyone can suggest resources or links, or even just share photos of their favorites, that would be wonderful!

~ Queenie

decodoll

Practically Family
My dad makes the hat blocks. His ebay username is "thecomicbroker" (he used to have a comic book shop :) ) It doesn't look like he has any doll blocks up right now, but you can send him a message through ebay if you want a shape that you don't see. Doll hats are my favourite too. I made a little doll sized witches hat for Halloween.

The best modern book I've found for hatmaking is called "From the Neck Up."

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Yay! I *knew* you were out there! This is sort of a silly question, but what do you do with a hat block? I'm picturing a process involving wet felt and stretching.

Thanks for the info, I am so excited to go window shopping on ebay now :)

~ Queenie

decodoll

Practically Family
That's pretty much it. You steam the felt and keep pulling, stretching and pinning over the form until it conforms to the block shape. You can actually block over just about anything. One of my first crowns, before I convinced my dad to start making blocks, was blocked over the bottom of a vase. Obviously, you just can't pin into that, so I made a loop out of elastic to hold the felt in place. A good source, actually the only one I know of, for flat fur felt is Hats by Leko. I prefer to use the flat felt for doll hats. I feel like I'm wasting felt if I use the hoods meant for larger hats.

decodoll

Practically Family
I found a picture of my "vase hat" :)

paulette.jpg

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
ohairas, is the paper doll guy you're talking about the one who designs the Dover paper doll books? some of those are really cool!

i have some vintage deanna durbin paper dolls i need to get mounted and framed. i would love a deanna durbin doll, too! instead, my girlfriend and i have a fashion doll (1950s?) we rescued from the goodwill bins. we cleaned her up and i cut her hair as best as i could. so far she has a crocheted bikini, a pinup elf outfit, and soon she will have a knitted late-30s collegiate-style sweater and skirt! and also a pair of wedgies made out of cork and fabric scraps. no matter how cute she gets though, her name remains The Creepy Doll.

we are SO cool, and obviously have way too much time on our hands.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Cherry thanks for those great sites! I even found a PD of a Scarlett O'Hara I didn't have!

Shooshoo... I'm not sure about the Dover thing. Here's a link to a few pages of his work, you can see his siggy at the bottom,
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1009997178026681305VuNMbiAAMH

I just love how he draws the laces and details. If anyone is interested, you can email me for more examples and his contact info. He is not online, you have to snail mail him. Corresponding with him is so cool and he always signs his art for you. ohairas@yahoo.com (my scarlettrose addy is not working right now!)

LOL.. creepy doll... what does she look like? I have one that looks like the original Barbie but is taller and thin plastic. The name has escaped me now but when I found her at an auction I did a lot of research afterwards...

Nikki

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i'll check out that paperdoll link in a bit - i'm in the middle of uploading a billion photos and i'm on dialup! thanks!

the creepy doll is about 14 inches, has kind of an adolescent figure, and an oversized head with painted-on red lipstick, and blinking eyes! not barbie-like at all. she's in great shape except her hair, which was matted and gross and cut by a 4 year old with mom's sewing scissors. i'll post a pic after her late 30s collegiate outfit is done - think "college swing"!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland