Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dare I start a thread on vintage Beer signs?

I know I stole part of the title from the doll thread. :rolleyes: ;)
Anyway, It all started with one Falstaff sign that my grandfather had hanging over the bar in the summer house. Now I have about a dozen falstaff signs and memorabilia in there. :eusa_doh:
This is what started it all:
Bar.jpg

You can see the sign on the backbar wall. Now there are signs to the right of it left of it and well other places. They have mugs that clink together, tell the time and even bubble like a mug of real beer.
Anyone else have beer signs? I'll even settle for home bar pictures. :D

Regards,

J

Senator Jack said:
That's a great little bar, James. I could never work out the geometry of having one in my apartment without it being obtrusive.

Thanks. I would love to take credit for it but my grandfather did it all. I only added a few touches. I don't think he would have thought of the Wurlitzer you can't see in the picture. :p
I would take more pictures but the whole room is in the process of being rewired so it is a bit of a mess right now.
I could work out a bar for an apartment. I saw one of those bar cabinet jobs that would do the trick. :D I thought you had one of those. [huh]

Regards,

J

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No reason to be shy about the topic. I'd like to peruse some of the old signs I saw growing up in the 1950s St. Louis again. Besides Falstaff, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz, Stag.....:)

Twitch said:
No reason to be shy about the topic. I'd like to peruse some of the old signs I saw growing up in the 1950s St. Louis again. Besides Falstaff, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Schlitz, Stag.....:)

You forgot from the Land of sky blue waters---Hamms. ;) :p
They made plenty of cool signs that involve movement. Falstaff, not so much. But Falstaff are muuuuuuch cheaper to collect. ;)

GearHead

One of the Regulars
Whish I still had or at least had the pictures of this neat Schlitz display I used to have.
It was from from grandfathers basement bar from the 50's which I sure he got out of one of the local bars. He was always bringing stuff from bars home.
It was about 15"w x 12"h display that had a front glass that made it look like it was a TV. Inside was a plastic Schlitz bottle that poured water into a glass. The water was pumped by a small fish tank type pump behind the unit.
Very neat but I didn't have the room for it so I sold it to a guy who collected vintage bar stuff.
There was other stuff too like serving trays with different beer brand logos and some other displays pieces like a Rupert(?) beer sign that was a flat piece of glass that sat in a metal base that had a light in it so when was turned on the whole glass lit up.

Erick

Twitch

Back in the 50s the FCC or whoever censored things still allowed the showing of people imbibing beer in commercials. Many shows were live then and the various personalities of the local stations did the commercials.

There was this one guy named Joe Brennan who did a commercial for Stag beer. This was a local, cheapy beer. He'd chug about half the sucker at once. I don't recall how many times he did the commercial in a day but I don't think it was a lot.

Fond memories:D :D

Twitch said:
Back in the 50s the FCC or whoever censored things still allowed the showing of people imbibing beer in commercials. Many shows were live then and the various personalities of the local stations did the commercials.

There was this one guy named Joe Brennan who did a commercial for Stag beer. This was a local, cheapy beer. He'd chug about half the sucker at once. I don't recall how many times he did the commercial in a day but I don't think it was a lot.

Fond memories:D :D

Sounds like a Man Show moment---except Fox used to down the whole thing---time after time. :eek:

cooncatbob

Practically Family
One of my favorite vintage beer signs was the Hamms Mountain Lake scene that was on an endless loop and slowly moved across the screen.
BTW. My Dad drank Bergemeister (Bergie) Falstaff and Hamms. Back in the day they were premium beers, then later became low end beer and then finally disappeared.
I'd like to see the MicroBreweries bring back some of the classic names.
Bob.

cooncatbob said:
One of my favorite vintage beer signs was the Hamms Mountain Lake scene that was on an endless loop and slowly moved across the screen.
BTW. My Dad drank Bergemeister (Bergie) Falstaff and Hamms. Back in the day they were premium beers, then later became low end beer and then finally disappeared.
I'd like to see the MicroBreweries bring back some of the classic names.
Bob.

Yes, that is a cool sign. They are highly sought after though so prepare to pay over $300 for one in good working condition. :eek: :D

Twitch

Distribution in the 50s on many brands was non-existant. St. Louis, the home of Busch of course had Budweiser and Busch. All else found in mainstream taverns and stores was Falstaff, Stag, Pabst and Schlitz.

We never heard of Coors. Saw Hamms catchy "from the land of sky blue water..." commercials when we traveled on visits to California, but no Coors.
I can't recall Burgie if we had it back home.

Man I can smell the dank neighborhood bar smell now!
BEER3.gif

Twitch said:
Distribution in the 50s on many brands was non-existant. St. Louis, the home of Busch of course had Budweiser and Busch. All else found in mainstream taverns and stores was Falstaff, Stag, Pabst and Schlitz.

We never heard of Coors. Saw Hamms catchy "from the land of sky blue water..." commercials when we traveled on visits to California, but no Coors.
I can't recall Burgie if we had it back home.

Man I can smell the dank neighborhood bar smell now!
BEER3.gif

I think Burgie was a 1970s thing. I remember my great uncle loving the stuff back then. Odd tasting stuff. Sweet beer?[huh]
Hamms had a limited distribution and still does now. I think they are trying to phase it out as well. I saw Pabst in the store last night so I know its still around. I have a Schlitz beer sign with the bull. It has one of those strange depth treatments that when you look at it at different angles; it appears to move.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
PBR is a staple back home. 'Fraid I won't touch the stuff, I prefer European (preferably Belgian) brews.

I've been looking for a Guinness advert from 1966 for a while and can't seem to find it anywhere, it's got a modified scene from the Bayeux Tapestry with Eustace holding a pint while pointing at William, with the heading "Battle of Hastings 1066, Bottle of Guinness 1966".

Brewerania Rules!

I don't have any beer signs, but several beer trays, including a 1930's McSorley's tray that is nice. I also have about 100 or so mugs, glasses pints and such packed away in the garage with no place to display them- yet.

I was introduced to beer in NY as a eighteen year old, well a few years prior during a trip to Denmark and Germany and had a decided penchant for imported stuff early on. I have a love of labels and labeled items so beer glasses and brewerania was a natural collection to have. I still have some Heinenken glasses from 1975 in my set.

:beer: Out here I visit the Stuffed Sandwhich in San Gabriel and they often have glasswear, plus Apline Village in torrance or Hi-Times Liquors in Orange County. A good beer outlet often has some glasswear like Beverages and More (Bevmo) and with new breweries and beer names the opportunaty seems endless to collect. Remember what was common today can become tomorrows collectable. Start early and vote often.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner