Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dating Vintage Stetsons by size tag

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here are a few more pictures of the bowler hat I found. Based on the research on this site, im guessing it is 1950's but could be wrong. Any Ideas?

I suspect it's earlier than 50's. Some quick google hits on the store have it showing up in the 20's and 30's.

Standard Quality and featherweight both point to it being earlier than 50's, IIRC.

Any markings on the inside of the sweatband? Paper tags under the liner?

Stanley 1

New in Town
Thanks everyone with your help so far. Here are some pictures of markings under the head band. Hope it helps ! The site only lets me upload two pictures at a time so here is part 1 of the pictures!

Attachments

• 20190404_132222.jpg
    20190404_132222.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 389
  • 20190404_132159.jpg
    20190404_132159.jpg
    992.5 KB · Views: 379

Stanley 1

New in Town
Here is a few more under the headband. Hope it helps. If it is as old as some of you have said, this is a very exciting hat to own !!!

Attachments

• 20190404_132433.jpg
    20190404_132433.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 455
  • Screenshot_20190404-134638.png
    Screenshot_20190404-134638.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 612

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Hi, help dating these ones? Looking for a Stetson open road that's not as stiff as the modern ones, was told to look pre 60. This is advertised at 1950s just wanna be sure before pulling the trigger. I love the cattleman crease but want it less pronounced on the centerfold.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 940
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,167
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,249
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 1,256
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,219

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
It ain't. When you see the square size tag think 60's as the earliest and if it has US/Metric sizing as well, it's later. That's a modern Stetson box as well. Is 6 7/8 your true size? If so, you're gonna have fun buying vintage hats.
Hm that's what I thought, dissapointing, but I'm just looking for a Stetson Open Road that's not that stiff so that one might still fit the bill even if it's not a 1950s but is a 1960s? Although I've been told to look PRE-60s. Judging by the photos doesn't look all that stiff (added more photos)

and yes that is my size (I'm a woman), do you say that because there aren't as many people buying hats that size because it's smaller so I'll have better chances at scoring something good?

Attachments

• s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,236
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 1,245

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
This is a true vintage right?
1950s if I understood correctly from the previous photos at the beginning of the thread

Except it's only 3X beaver, unless someone tells me that 3X beaver back in the day was still superb quality

Attachments

• s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1,257
This is a true vintage right?
1950s if I understood correctly from the previous photos at the beginning of the thread

Except it's only 3X beaver, unless someone tells me that 3X beaver back in the day was still superb quality

Always happy to have women posting here. I just went through all the 6 7/8 OR's and this is the one I was going to point you towards. 3X is a quality designation and though this is a later one, still a quality hat. You can see by the crease that it has a soft crown. My late 40's 3X is a great hat that I'd put up against most.

And yes, being of a smaller size is a definite advantage as evolution has caused our heads to swell, especially men.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Always happy to have women posting here. I just went through all the 6 7/8 OR's and this is the one I was going to point you towards. 3X is a quality designation and though this is a later one, still a quality hat. You can see by the crease that it has a soft crown. My late 40's 3X is a great hat that I'd put up against most.

And yes, being of a smaller size is a definite advantage as evolution has caused our heads to swell, especially men.

So then the 3X beaver is a good bet? I don't care about the durability as much as I do care about the hand feel. I like that suede like finish. That one does look properly dated to the 1950s but the seller said there is discolouration, I'm not sure what kind and if I can get it restored from a good hatter.

I actually posted 2 different hats, one is the 3X the other was the 1960s (not 1950s as advertised. Both look like they have a soft crown?

That's so good to hear, my hat obsession is getting serious >< I got 2 customs made from hatters in my city but they aren't all that amazing. And I wanted a good Stetson but vintage because the quality back then just seems different and not going to lie, it does appeal to the hipster side of me.

Where would you suggest finding a good vintage hat? ebay?

Where would you suggest finding a good vintage hat? ebay?

When I said I went through the 6 7/8 OR's I was referring to the bay. That's the largest market but there is etsy, goodwill, estate sales, antique shops and others. My hats have come from all the above but most from the bay.

If you're 'really' interested in hats you need to explore some of the threads about cleaning hats. I've sent some off for cleaning but eventually learned to do most of that myself.

You'll probably be a bit surprised about the "hand" difference in a modern vs. vintage. I have customs but mostly stick to vintage these days.

Hipster, huh? Not sure I'll be providing you with any further info. Unless you ask.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
When I said I went through the 6 7/8 OR's I was referring to the bay. That's the largest market but there is etsy, goodwill, estate sales, antique shops and others. My hats have come from all the above but most from the bay.

If you're 'really' interested in hats you need to explore some of the threads about cleaning hats. I've sent some off for cleaning but eventually learned to do most of that myself.

You'll probably be a bit surprised about the "hand" difference in a modern vs. vintage. I have customs but mostly stick to vintage these days.

Hipster, huh? Not sure I'll be providing you with any further info. Unless you ask.

Just because I said I was hipster? lol that's a bit judgemental. I appreciate nice things, I like things that are more unique and have quality craftsmanship and that's why I'm here, to learn more. I've watched every single video I could find about hats already on youtube.

thanks for the help so far!

Just because I said I was hipster? lol that's a bit judgemental. I appreciate nice things, I like things that are more unique and have quality craftsmanship.

Yeah, I'm judgemental and I judge you to have a good sense of humor, which will serve you well around these parts. Most around here are happy to help unless we share the same hat size. If you had been a 7 3/8 I'd have told you Wal-Mart was having a hat sale.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I'm judgemental and I judge you to have a good sense of humor, which will serve you well around these parts. Most around here are happy to help unless we share the same hat size. If you had been a 7 3/8 I'd have told you Wal-Mart was having a hat sale.

LOL good to know, not much competition for my hat size then. It's also hard to tell sarcasm and humour through text :\ glad it wasn't out of judgement then. Out of curiosity, any other hats that are kind coveted on Fedora Lounge?

From reading (or maybe it's because I was already going towards Stetson OR and Stetson Stratoliner) it seems that the Stetsons are pretty up there for vintage and quality. And modern hats, it would be Akrubas.

Just because I said I was hipster? lol that's a bit judgemental. I appreciate nice things, I like things that are more unique and have quality craftsmanship and that's why I'm here, to learn more. I've watched every single video I could find about hats already on youtube.

thanks for the help so far!

Today a Lounge member inquired about this hat which I listed a couple of years back and never sold. If he decides not to purchase it and you have interest, send me a private message. It is 7X not 3X. And it is a size 7.

7XCB1.jpg

7XCB2.jpg

7XCB6.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
@JessieJames, keep up with what Alan just posted. He collects what most of us that collect hats consider to be museum quality pieces. For a factory hat, a 7X CB is about the pinnacle of quality in a post war hat. I have two and if I were you I'd sit on my wallet waiting on this one. Stetson had one higher quality designation, the 100 (I have one) and the 7X's I have get more head time.

Yes, tone and intent are hard to decipher from the written word in a forum. I should work on getting my smarta$$ness under control but it's just not in my nature.

There are too many vintage hats coveted around here to even suggest a list so I can only speak for me. I'm mostly interested in vintage wetern and western dress hats such as the OR. I'm always on the hunt for Stetson Nutria, nutria quality, Boss Raw Edge and several others. Still looking for that 7X CB OR and an early 100 with a soft crown.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
@JessieJames, keep up with what Alan just posted. He collects what most of us that collect hats consider to be museum quality pieces. For a factory hat, a 7X CB is about the pinnacle of quality in a post war hat. I have two and if I were you I'd sit on my wallet waiting on this one. Stetson had one higher quality designation, the 100 (I have one) and the 7X's I have get more head time.

Yes, tone and intent are hard to decipher from the written word in a forum. I should work on getting my smarta$$ness under control but it's just not in my nature.

There are too many vintage hats coveted around here to even suggest a list so I can only speak for me. I'm mostly interested in vintage wetern and western dress hats such as the OR. I'm always on the hunt for Stetson Nutria, nutria quality, Boss Raw Edge and several others. Still looking for that 7X CB OR and an early 100 with a soft crown.

haha all good. I'm a smartass too so I know I come off strange in texts with friends and have to add emojis so people understand I'm not being an ass but a smartass lol

Well with 2 people vouching for that hat, it seems like a good bet to get, otherwise I might just get 1 of the 2 I found on ebay, just waiting on their answers regarding the condition because one of them looks like it has a burn mark on the underside of the brim, which would be, no bueno for me. Good condition + vintage is the hard combo to come by.

With a soft crown like that, does that mean I can just reshape it however I want whenever I want, even without steam? And it'll just stick?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo