Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

De-Lovely Clothing

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
First off the hats are atrocious

Some of the suits are pretty good. High cut armholes and fitted jackets on the men.... very modern fabrics and it looks like all the leads clothes were custom made.

I think the women's clothes were pretty well done. More to come, I'm watching it right now.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I loved it. And I thought they did 30's better than many modern films, with the exceptions being Gosford Park and the Aviator (but even their female costumes had a touch of modern to them. Please don't shoot me.)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
...very modern fabrics and it looks like all the leads clothes were custom made.

You're right about the custom made clothing Matt. Armani was the designer and taylor for Kevin Klein and several other leads. Although, since Cole Porter was fairly well off, one could assume that his clothes were probably custom fit for him. The hats could have been better though. A bit more natty, considering that Cole Porter was an impeckably dressed man. But, all in all the wardrobe was fairly well thought out.

Cheers!

Dan

Wild Root

Gone Home
Lauren, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m some what surprised! The clothes in Aviator and Seabiscuit were way better hands down to that of ?¢‚Ǩ?ìDe-Ugly?¢‚Ǩ?

The hats were garbage, the suits were, ok decent, and the women?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s clothes were what I would say the only redeeming point of the whole flick. The lack of good original Porter music was very depressing, the whole modern twist to it was just asking my dinner to come up for a visit.

They could have done way better on this film. I was sourly disappointed. And I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not the only one on that score. I saw it with three other friends and we all felt the same way. To much Broadway in it for my taste.

I'm surprised they didn't dance the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìHokey Pokey?¢‚Ǩ? at the end! In fact, it would have made it a better movie if you ask me.

=WR=

Lauren

No, you misunderstood. I meant that the Aviator, Gosford Park and Seabiscuit costumes were better than De-Lovely, but that they weren't as bad as some other modern 30's movies.

But I did like the movie very much.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I thought the men's suits for the leads were spectacular.... many of the extras wore modern unfitting tripe. Elvis costello in his off the rack dinner jacket with the huge armholes for instance. It was a mish mash of great and horrible. All the hats sucked... though many of the suits were great reproductions and it is worth watching for those. The ties were all new.

Armani knows his stuff.

More england in the 20's than US in the 30's

Fitted and no padding in the shoulders... what they were wearing outside of Hollywood and the wrong attire for the character though still period correct.
chaplin.jpg

de_lovely_2.jpg

Suit good. Hat bad

312257.jpg

Lauren

I disagree. The contstruction and materials are supurb in many cases. Go look at Emporio Armani this season and not the off the rack suits. and I mean in person. turn them inside out. look at the sleeves where they join the shoulder.

Lauren

I'm not talking about the men's suits. I'm talking about the emporio armani ready to wear collection. Perhaps you have had a bad experience, and perhaps with wear they don't stand up (I personally have never bought armani), but as a dressmaker visiting the store the quality and construction that I saw was very well done. As I mentioned, I personally haven't owned any pieces, so I have not seen how they stand up to everyday wear. Perhaps the construction and fabrics don't stand up over time but they make a good impression on me when they're new. I'm especially in awe of their sleeves.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I hang out with the Tailors that work at the Armani store in Beverly Hills and this is what they have said... they are not big fans of repairing and reenforcing the men's suits when they are taken intot he back room for alteration or repair.

It's the men's stuff... I don't know as much about the women's though the styles are very vintage inspired.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The one outfit that Kevin Klein wore that I liked was his casual outfit in the MGM "Be a Clown" scene.
delovelypubd.jpg

coq.jpg

The sweater vest remind me of something my Pop used to wear, and the flower is a very nice splash of color against the earthy tones of the clothes. The polkadot handkercheif and the nice casual saddle shoes, it fits quite nicely. Of course the two main characters (Porter & L.B. Mayer) had to stand out against the rest of the MGM staff. I would even like to find a suit like L.B. Mayers in that scene.
But hey, that's just my two cents. I happen to like that particular look.

Cheers!

Dan

Lauren

I agree. And the shoes the lady with the marcel wave is wearing are fabulous (though they really are in a style from the late teens rather than the 30's. You can tell in the heel). I still want 'em!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Is it just me or did they not even play that song in the movie? Well, maybe they did but, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sure was a disaster rendition sung in a 1960's Los Vegas Rat Pack style with a head cold! They just really messed up the music in that flick, but good!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo