Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Deadwood" hats

backstagejack

New in Town
Since a Deadwood movie has now been announced (coming out in 2019) , I figured this thread could be resurrected as well.

The show was filmed at Melody Ranch just North of Los Angeles. Other shows of note filmed there would be Westworld, Django, and various other westerns good and bad.

I have yet to find out who made the hats but I will say that thelastbestwest.com seems to have some pretty good replicas. I would love to have a good looking Bullock hat.

Since a Deadwood movie has now been announced (coming out in 2019) , I figured this thread could be resurrected as well.

The show was filmed at Melody Ranch just North of Los Angeles. Other shows of note filmed there would be Westworld, Django, and various other westerns good and bad.

I have yet to find out who made the hats but I will say that thelastbestwest.com seems to have some pretty good replicas. I would love to have a good looking Bullock hat.
I don't recall that it's ever come up before. FL member Moviehats will probably know who made the hats originally & if a contract has been let for the movie. I'm sure he will reply when he sees your post.

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
After all these years it would be great to get a definitive answer on the source of the hats.
According to my friend, who made many of the ladies gowns and clothing, these were bought from various sources and the wardrobe fixed them up. She is trying to get my hats into the movie, but I'm not holding my breath.

According to my friend, who made many of the ladies gowns and clothing, these were bought from various sources and the wardrobe fixed them up. She is trying to get my hats into the movie, but I'm not holding my breath.
Know anything about the hats that Paxton, Boothe & Costner wore in Hatfields & McCoys? I was intrigued by the hat worn by Powers Boothe as the older brother/lawyer, but you don't get to see much detail of it in the miniseries.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I've just been commissioned to make the "Ellsworth" hat by a polite and courteous hat lover who seems the antithesis of the Ellsworth character. Jim Beaver did an excellent job portraying the foulmouthed, crusty prospector Whitney Ellsworth and I loved it when he referred to anyone he didn't like as a "limber d--k c--ksucker". I'm sure I will be, at least in part, channeling much of his colorful vocabulary while making this hat.

s1-cast-ellsworth_FULL.jpg
Ellsworth Hat.png

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Know anything about the hats that Paxton, Boothe & Costner wore in Hatfields & McCoys?

I don't think the hats were made specially for the series but like 'deadwood' they were found in various places & then worked on by the costume designer, in this case, Karri Hutchinson, with an eye on reference photos of the real life characters. The show was filmed mostly in Romania & Kevin Costner wore a false beard. :D

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer
I was working as "F.S.I.T.B" (fuzzy stuff in the background) for the pilot, having gotten the call from Peter Sherayko, who supplied a lot of the extras as well as having played the bar tender in the early part of the series. I know that wardrobe supplied a bunch of the hats used during the initial filming. Also, many of us who were NOT part of the credits brought our own gear and in may cases, wore the hats we had with us when we arrived on the set.

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
I was working as "F.S.I.T.B" (fuzzy stuff in the background) for the pilot, having gotten the call from Peter Sherayko, who supplied a lot of the extras as well as having played the bar tender in the early part of the series. I know that wardrobe supplied a bunch of the hats used during the initial filming. Also, many of us who were NOT part of the credits brought our own gear and in may cases, wore the hats we had with us when we arrived on the set.
Are you a friend of Peter's also? Small World. I made the hat he's wearing in the photo for his birthday a couple of years ago. 14560023_1496461337034606_3464202958237718874_o.jpg

I've just been commissioned to make the "Ellsworth" hat by a polite and courteous hat lover who seems the antithesis of the Ellsworth character. Jim Beaver did an excellent job portraying the foulmouthed, crusty prospector Whitney Ellsworth and I loved it when he referred to anyone he didn't like as a "limber d--k c--ksucker". I'm sure I will be, at least in part, channeling much of his colorful vocabulary while making this hat.

View attachment 143679 View attachment 143680
Rick, just a couple of months till the debut. How about a preview of the hat/s you were commissioned to make for the movie?

Or anyone else who contributed anything to the movie?

Last edited:

humanshoes

One Too Many
Rick, just a couple of months till the debut. How about a preview of the hat/s you were commissioned to make for the movie?

Or anyone else who contributed anything to the movie?
As much as I'd like it to be so Jack, I haven't been commissioned to make any hats for the movie. The hat that I'm currently working on was ordered by a guy that loved Ellsworth's hat from the series and wanted me to recreate it for him.

As much as I'd like it to be so Jack, I haven't been commissioned to make any hats for the movie. The hat that I'm currently working on was ordered by a guy that loved Ellsworth's hat from the series and wanted me to recreate it for him.
In rereading your OP I see my error.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran