Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Hondo

One Too Many
I saw this coming, when he appeared for his star, Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Looked thin, real bad, you knew it was just a matter of time.
Really sad, he was good one, actor, Dennis Hopper will be missed. RIP

Foofoogal said:
:eusa_doh: you are correct John.

RIP Dennis Hopper.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Arlington.jpg

Marla said:
The current oldest living recipient of the Medal of Honor awarded for defending Pearl Harbor in WWII, John Finn, has died at the age of 100. He received the metal for continuing to fire his machine gun despite being heavily wounded; 21 wounds total.

http://www.navalhistory.org/2010/05/27/remembering-lt-john-finn-usn/

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Finn many years ago at the old Great Western Gun Show in Pomona, CA, where he was being honored along with Medal of Honor recipient Walter Ehler. I have a copy of the Pearl Harbor book from the Ballantine World War II series that he signed for me that day.

There's also a funny story connected with it. One of the highlights of the Great Western Gun Show was the costume contest which was held on the Sunday of the show. The ceremony honoring Finn and Ehler was right after the costume contest. Following the ceremony they announced that anyone in a World War II uniform who wished to have their picture taken with John Finn was welcome to come on up. And who should come up but a Japanese guy dressed as a kamikaze pilot! I'm still kicking myself for not having my camera with me that day.

Warbaby said:
...Dorothy DeBorba, who played "Echo" in the "Our Gang" films, died yesterday of emphysema and lung disease, age 85.

Dorothy "Echo" Deborba was one of my favorite background charectors from the Hal Roach Our Gang Series AKA The Little Rascals.

In some of the earliest of her apperances she played Chubby's little sister and her nickname came from the portrayal as she repeated every thing Chubby said sort of like an echo. She often had a pretty big bow in her hair early on too.

In a scene where Chubby is rehearsing love poems taken from Weaser's Mom's love letters from her husband.

Chubby: I want to trip and dance!
Dorothy: I want to rip my pants!

Warbaby

One Too Many
John in Covina said:

In a scene where Chubby is rehearsing love poems taken from Weaser's Mom's love letters from her husband.

Chubby: I want to trip and dance!
Dorothy: I want to rip my pants!

lol lol lol lol lol

I think that's gonna be my new sig...

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many

Hiram Brown
Creator of “Inner Sanctum” and “CBS Radio Mystery Theater” Dies at 99

In memory today for Hiram Brown, a virtuoso of radio who created some of the most memorable and enduring radio dramas, including the incredibly creepy “Inner Sanctum” and, later, “CBS Radio Mystery Theater” (which served to haunt and inspire a new generation of listeners, such as the creators of The Grist Mill)

The New York Times reports:
>
> While radio dramas are now celebrated as wistful nostalgia by people in their 70s and 80s, Mr. Brown never stopped believing in the form. In 1974, when radio drama was all but extinct, he began a nightly series called CBS Radio Mystery Theater that ran until 1982 and even revived the creaking door. He continued to produce radio dramas about influential Americans into his 90s for Brooklyn College’s station.
>
> “I am firmly convinced that nothing visual can touch audio,” Mr. Brown said in a 2003 interview, his eyes sparkling. “I don’t need 200 orchestra players doing the ‘Ride of the Valkyries.’ I don’t need car chases. I don’t need mayhem. All I need to do is creak the door open, and visually your head begins to go. The magic word is imagination.”

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A major loss for everyone who loves radio drama -- Brown was one of the few living links not just to the Golden Age of Radio, but to the era *before* the Golden Age: he was one of the last surviving performers to have appeared on network radio in the 1920s. In 1929 -- at the age of fifteen! -- he was the first actor to play Molly Goldberg's husband Jake on "The Rise Of The Goldbergs." After a few weeks he ran afoul of series creator Gertrude Berg, and was fired -- and he held something of a grudge against dear old Molly for the rest of his life. Definitely an opinionated, colorful personality who didn't hesitate to speak his mind about the medium.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Country Music singer Jimmy Dean (August 10, 1928 – June 13, 2010) -
Best known for his song Big Bad John, also his 60's television show The Jimmy Dean Show and lastly, the founder of Jimmy Dean brand sausage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou