• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Lady Day, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Lady Day

Lady Day I'll Lock Up Bartender

This post is to acknowledge when a notable individual unrelated to the Golden Era passes away. -HJ

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/06/02/diddley.obit/index.html

:(

LD

2. KittyT

KittyT I'll Lock Up

Man, what a huge loss :(

3. I saw him live outdoors in Boston in 1970. What a great performer! Here's a bit of perspective: Buddy Holley, who died in 1959, used Bo Diddley's rhythm as a background to many of his songs (Not Fade Away, etc.) Bo was one of the most important fathers of Rock'n'Roll. A sad day.

4. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

5. this is a great loss, and all those people on the news just forget him (in holland they only mention yves saint laurent)
    sweet dreams

6. Dixon Cannon

Dixon Cannon My Mail is Forwarded Here

I had just turned 1 when Bo's 'Bo Diddley' hit #1 on the R&B charts. Of course we didn't hear it, as my parents were as far from R&B as '50's parents could be! Such was the state of music in mid-Century America.

But.... as I grew up I perceived the value of the melding of Blues and Rock & Roll and that Bo Diddley beat rooted itself in my little brain. It is unmistakable and once it gets hold of you, it never lets go!

"Who Do You Love"? Bo Diddley of course! Thank you Ellas McDaniel! You moved me. :cry:

-dixon cannon

7. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo A-List Customer

I accidentally ran into Bo Diddly about 10 years ago in a bookstore, and I was shocked, to say the least. He was dressed in his trademark Homburg, looking as dapper as always, and was a true gentleman to me, very kind and gracious. He was a pioneer of Rock & Roll and will certainly be missed.

8. Cool guy, a pioneer in music. Great music.

Rest in peace, Bo.

karol

9. KY Gentleman

KY Gentleman One Too Many

Probably one of the top contributers to rock and roll ever.
    Buddy Holly used "the Bo Diddley Beat" as well as many, many of the rock pioneers. Thanks for the music. RIP Bo Diddley.

10. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

(to name just one)

There are several generations of club kids who prolly don't realize where "How Soon is Now" came from...

11. pgoat

pgoat One Too Many

And great as Buddy was, that amazing sound on Bo's classic records was a big part of the deal - Chess being every bit as important and distinctive as Sun or any other major rock and roll studio. The huge sound of that distorted guitar and the maracas chugging along was amazing to my young ears the first time I heard it and still slays me today...

12. The music upstairs is gettin better and better.
    Since nearly all the great ones are there now.:(

13. RIOT

RIOT Practically Family

14. A bummer. The guy was very talented.
    In the pic above, the green guy w/the spiked eyepatch is from Galaxy Quest right?

15. RIOT

RIOT Practically Family

Yes. General Sarris I believe was it's name.

It's amazing how much of Stan Winston's work in engrained in Hollywood movies. A true pioneer.

16. ?

Where did you find that photo?