Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
A familiar face but difficult to put a name to, character actor, Charles Dierkop, has died aged 87.

1709019118990.png

1709019203812.png

Worf

I'll Lock Up
https://pitchfork.com/news/aston-family-man-barrett-bob-marley-bassist-dies-at-77/

Better late than never... Aston "Family Man" Barrett" longtime Wailers Bass player. Great bass player, not flashy, just solid, played on many of Bob Marley's hits. I particularly love his syncopated bass line on "I Shot the Sheriff". Also played with other Reggae greats over the years. Nickname came from having "reportedly" over 40 children.

Worf

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Martin Greenfield: The tailor who survived Auschwitz and went on to dress presidents has died.

An Auschwitz survivor who went on to become a tailor for clients including six US presidents, Frank Sinatra and Leonardo DiCaprio has died aged 95.
As a teenager, Martin Greenfield was imprisoned at the concentration camp where he washed the guards' clothes. After he was beaten for accidentally ripping a shirt, a fellow prisoner taught him to sew.
In 1945, at the age of 16, he was freed. He boarded a ship to New York with just $10 in his pocket.
He later became arguably the best men's tailor in the United States.

Born Maximilian Grunfeld to a Jewish family from a part of Czechoslovakia that is now in Ukraine, he was sent to Auschwitz as a teenager. Mending the shirt opened up a new world for him. He wore it underneath his uniform, and found he was able to move more freely because it was mistakenly thought to signify special privileges.
"The day I first wore that shirt was the day I learned clothes possess power," he wrote in his memoir: 'Measure of a Man: From Auschwitz Survivor to Presidents' Tailor.'

At the end of World War Two, Greenfield travelled to the US and found a job at a Brooklyn clothing factory.
Three decades later he bought the factory, naming it after himself.
martin.jpg
Leonardo DiCaprio in The Great Gatsby

martin2.jpg
Joaquin Phoenix in Joker

martin3.jpg
Barack Obama in 2014

martin4.jpg
Steve Buscemi in Boardwalk Empire.

martin5.jpg
Martin Greenfield.

Preppy Climber

New in Town
R.I.P., Eric Carmen!
Finding out that Eric Carmen, my all-time favorite singer/songwriter/musician for 45+ years, passed away was heartbreaking. Still is. Just days before I heard the news, I googled Eric, wondering if he was going to tour again. I saw him and some of his former Raspberries bandmates perform about 18 years ago. I had an opportunity to meet Eric in person at a mixer prior to the concert, but I was too shy. Kicked myself in the butt ever since.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
SCTV comic genius Joe Flaherty:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'd rather mention two good men from the world of sports, both of whom died yesterday. Hall of Fame manager Whitey Herzog, who, after a lackluster playing career in the 50s and 60s, led the Kansas City Royals and St. Louis Cardinals to great success in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, was 92. And "Boys of Summer"-era Dodger pitcher Carl Erskine, one of the genuinely Nice Guys to have played the game, was 97. No one who ever encountered him ever had a bad word for Oisk, which isn't something that happens in the world of professional sports very often, and that's good enough for me.

With Erskine's passing, there are only five men left alive who wore Dodger blue under the Brooklyn sun.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Last edited:
Indeed he could.

“Now people down in Georgia come from near and far, to hear Richard Betts pickin’ on that red guitar”. Charlie Daniels Band, The South’s Gonna Do It Again

The legends are all leaving us. RIP, sir.

True. I don't own one, but I can legitimately wear one of those T-shirts that says, "I may be old, but I saw all the cool bands."

I only saw ABB three times (that I recall).

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As a musician, I heard "Live at the Fillmore East" about a million times in High School and College. A VERY interesting band. Never understood the two drummers thing but hey.... it worked for them. I respect their melding of genres and styles. There were some REAL musicians in that band. Sorry to see another one gone.

Worf

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
As a musician, I heard "Live at the Fillmore East" about a million times in High School and College. A VERY interesting band. Never understood the two drummers thing but hey.... it worked for them. I respect their melding of genres and styles. There were some REAL musicians in that band. Sorry to see another one gone.

Worf
ABB had two drummers? Oh now I’m gonna listen more closely! As a long-time Deadhead I love the two drummer setup - I can only name one other band with it (Slipknot) but then I haven’t researched the topic at all either (I bet I would be surprised).

ABB had two drummers? Oh now I’m gonna listen more closely! As a long-time Deadhead I love the two drummer setup - I can only name one other band with it (Slipknot) but then I haven’t researched the topic at all either (I bet I would be surprised).

Worf

I think it's in The Grateful Dead Movie that Mickey and Bill are having a mock argument

"I'm the drummer, and he's the percussionist."
"No, I'm the drummer, and you're the percussionist!"

The night I saw Genesis, on the Elliptical Mirrors tour, they had both Phil Collins and Ralph Humphries (previously with the Mothers) drumming. While the primary reason was so Phil could step down and sing, a good portion of the show feature both drumming simultaneously. Of course, at one time, Traffic toured with a drummer and two percussionists.

Here are Mickey and Bill's thoughts on the Dead having two drummers.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Speaking as a vintage-1976 Deadhead, re two drummers...

We always used to say that the Allman Brothers' drummers played in unison for greater power and momentum, whereas the Dead's drummers played around one another to enable rhythmic flexibility.

Yeah, it's an oversimplification. But there's something to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner