Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEATHS ; Notable Passings; The Thread to Pay Last Respects

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
The death of Kenyan born singer-songwriter, Roger Whittaker has just been announced (he actually died on the 13th) He was 87.

1695099145843.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All New England today is mourning the unexpected death from brain cancer of Red Sox favorite Tim Wakefield at the age of 57. Wake was affiliated with the Sox for nearly thirty years, seventeen of them as an outstanding knuckleball pitcher who just seemed to go on and on, winning those clutch games and doing whatever it took to win two World Series titles, and subsquently as a special assistant, spring training coach, and broadcaster. But it was in his charitable and community work that he really showed the kind of a man he was -- wherever there was something that needed to be done, from visiting a sick child to building a playground, Wake was always there. In a day of swaggering, self-absorbed athlete-millionaires, Wake was a true throwback.

To put it in terms of the Era -- what Freddie Fitzsimmons was to Brooklyn, Tim Wakefield was to New England. He'll be grieved and he'll be missed.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Adventures of Superman's Phyllis Coates, television's first Lois Lane.

50s_supe.jpg

I always preferred her feisty, competitive take on Lois to her replacement, the sweeter, more matronly Noel Neill. And of the many actresses who've now played Lois Lane, I still always prefer the tougher variants, like Dana Delany in Superman: The Animated Series - I love the acid tone in her dismissive nickname for Clark, "Smallville..."

By all rights, Amy Adams should have been the best Lois ever... But after a promising start (where she figures out that Clark is the mysterious hero even before he's wearing the super suit) those Warners/DC Snyderverse films utterly botched the character, among their many other faults. The brilliant investigative reporter is quickly stuck doing one incredibly stupid thing after another...

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Adventures of Superman's Phyllis Coates, television's first Lois Lane.

View attachment 551962

I always preferred her feisty, competitive take on Lois to her replacement, the sweeter, more matronly Noel Neill.
Noel Neill I recall had a cameo in the Superman flick as a train passenger when Christopher Reeves flies by.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actress Lara Parker, who played the witch Angelique - who'd turned Barnabas Collins into a vampire, and was still tormenting him centuries later - in the original 1960s spook opera Dark Shadows:

I watched the show daily as a teenager, and the beautiful, brilliant, deliciously evil Angelique was important to my sexual development! Alas, she didn't have much of an acting career after Dark Shadows.

Angelique2.jpg

Just in case any Night Court fans check this thread, Richard Moll (Aristotle Nostradamus "Bull" Shannon) has died at the age of 80 years. No cause of death has been mentioned, but the statement issued said "Moll died peacefully on October 26 at his home in Big Bear Lake, CA."

Matthew Perry. Always sad if not surprising when years of abusing oneself caughts you...

I'm certain that's why the L.A. County Coroner's Office is waiting to get ALL of the test results before they officially announce the exact cause of death. Playing Chandler Bing made Matthew Perry quite popular among fans of the show, so there are a lot of eyes on this.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
He's not a familiar name, but TV director Robert Butler directed the great pilot episodes - and set the tone - for many classic shows - Batman, Star Trek, Hill Street Blues, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner