Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DEFECT OPiNiONS: Would U return this jacket???

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
thanks again for the interest in this rather soap-operish saga...in a world with heavier issues, i realize it is not great, but we all have chosen to love these items that can be historical, fascinating, and pieces of living art

opas, this was not a 'repro' luftwaffe style jacket, however, it was a classic motorcycle jacket that came amazingly close in almost all respects to the luftwaffe style...and as you all might have guessed, that's why i got it...those are the jackets that i like...for design purposes, not because Jerry wore them in WW2...tho that does give them a sort of Noir appeal

1eyedman, i'd feel i violated my own fairness if i disclosed the maker (even privately for now) without waiting to see if this plays out with them actually being virtuous in the end ...the owner (not his wife) was not as abrasive about it being a special order and thus mine to live with...tho he was surprised when his stitcher of 40 years allegedly turned out a jacket as i described over the phone...so they still have to see it...they'll probably have it back by the weekend...it isn't schott, but it is an American company...and they may as yet still prove to be worth their reputation...i'm hoping that when i do reveal the name it will be that this was an aberration and they backed up their product fully...as cockpitusa did when i happened to get a horseleather a-2 that had some cracks in it...boy did co owner jackie clyman make it a personal issue to see i got a great jacket and superb customer service...they won a lifetime customer with their attitude...and it may yet happen here if i give it another week

and fiver64, who bought two of my jackets (that didn't quite fit me) on ebay...i appreciate the kind words...you and i both love nice jackets...they are history and beautiful design that are truly cultural objects...that's why it's an affront when something that betrays that aesthetic is proffered...

will keep all updated,,,even while understanding there are more important things in life...however, art is always important to me...and a fine jacket is indeed art

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
uPdate

the company, which i'll reveal after all this is over, received the jacket back today

one of the people handling orders inspected it, agreed that the flaws were not of the quality the company should provide, but could not speak for the owner, who was away and will get back to me on fri about whether there will be a refund or the jacket will be remade...

stay tuned

Madame_Circa

New in Town
Johnny, I'm curious about why you requested such a thin leather? I think the problem is with the material, which is not suitable for a jacket like this - usually a thicker grade of leather is used.

I agree that they haven't done a very good job and you should return it. All the same, I think it would have been very hard for a machinist to produce a good finish with this material - I'm surprised they agreed to make it for you without warning you that you might not like the result.

Nicole

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
The arm pit seam issues wouldn't have bothered me, but the front pocket thing would have driven me crazy, as well as the front wrinkles. In my opinion, they make the jacket unwearable.

I'm curious to hear where you bought the jacket from!

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
bothered

joeniblick, it's funny, it seems one thing bothers some people, and others bother others

myself, i was debating whether to put up with the wrinkles of the overly soft leather, and so i checked the whole jacket out...that inspection made me aware of the front pocket problems where maybe i had been overlooking them, and the inspection revealed the seam problems, which to me was obvious evidence, irrefutable by anyone at the co., that something was done wrong...not just slightly off...

anyway, i'm sorry to delay the revelation of the manufacturer...i am doing so out of fairness so that when it is revealed, it will be mitigated by their mea culpa, and their commitment to rectifying the problem...

oh, by the way, as for me, the wrinkles, the pockets aNd the reversed seams aLL bothered me very much

madame circa, let me say if that is a picture of you, you have a classic and lovely look...as for your comment...they told me the lighter leather was used in all of their women's jackets, and some of their men's jackets, and made no mention of anything out of the ordinary except that the leather was lighter...pictures of the women's jackets on their site show no rumply qualities as mine has...taylor leather wear has leather just as thin, but they treat it so it is stiff and has great form...i foolishly assumed this would be similar, and was not told upon ordering that it would basically have the consistency of a fabric...as for the chest area, this is the worst area, and i discern that it is exaggerated by a rather poor tailoring as the chest comes off the neck area, allowing it to hang poorly...perhaps good enough for a thicker leather, but with the thin leather any deficiency is made all too apparent...hence the story with that

bobjones

A-List Customer
johnnyjohnny said:
anyway, i'm sorry to delay the revelation of the manufacturer...i am doing so out of fairness so that when it is revealed, it will be mitigated by their mea culpa, and their commitment to rectifying the problem...

To be fair, I would say not to mention the maker by name unless they either refuse to repair/replace the jacket. If they accommodate you, and jacket comes back in proper fashion, then there really is no need IMO to "out" them, since they ultimately did the right thing. Sure, the original jacket should not have been sent out, but everyone makes mistakes - its the companies who refuse to fix them that are the real problem.

I just don't see a need to "punish" the maker if they eventually do right by you, but that's just MHO. [huh]

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
u r coRRect sir!

my response yesterday to not mentioning the maker's name was "absolutely...i will just be happy. no ouTing...thanks for that suggestion!"

today, after talking to the owner, it's a different story. his claim is that this is handmade and so there will be small variances in the construction, such as seams lining up differently on different sides, and that the front pockets on their jackets are sewn on an angle so they look right when the jacket is on...also he said no refund, and he doesn't know yet about making a replacement jacket...he wants to open this one up, correct things, and send it back to me

this is the most outrageous thing i've ever heard...his explanation on why inexpensive jackets from pakistan and other countries don't have these defects is really demeaning, he said that they have people who do the same stitch all day long, where his coats are fully made by one person, so these 'variations' are part of what a handmade jacket has

also mentioned showing the problems via picture to others, mainly those on the forum, and that virtually everyone said this is not the way a jacket at this price point should be made...his response: i don't care what others say

in my opinion at this point, i see this as basically fraud

looking like you all will soon know who this company is...he will give me a final decision in several days

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
HELP FROM A TAILOR!

UPDATE---now i've been informed by Dyer leather that Dyer will be making a new replacement jacket in thicker leather. glad to report it, and will report back once i get the replacement. :D

Madame_Circa

New in Town
Hi Johnny,

I'm a seamstress, not a tailor or leather expert but wish to advise that the professional opinion you seek will need to view the garment in person.

For the price point, the only concern I have with the quality of what you received is the sloping pocket - and it would be best to see how that looks whilst being worn, not on a hanger because the hanger will distort the hang somewhat. Do you have any photos of the jacket being worn?

In any case, as you point out they are in contravention of their return policy. Assuming you have returned during the seven days they should meet their obligations there as you are clearly unsatisfied.

Nicole

Doggy Darb

New in Town
johnnyjohnny- I empathize with your circumstance. Like you, I am a man of value. Any garment that is made to order should meet the implied standards of garment construction. This jacket should not have flaws that are the result of inattentiveness. That zipper welt pocket is terrible. No amount of repair can fix that; the breast would need replaced. Restitching leather cannot be done. The leather is damaged when it is sew. Unless they can magically fill holes in leather, they should not do that. A sleeve is sewn to the armscye (arm hole) by aligning the side seam (when present) to the sleeve seam. This is basic construction. If a mass produced jacket was made in that manner, it would end up at a discount retailer like TJMaxx for being irregular. I am not a professional tailor, but I am aware of these things. You should have no trouble disputing the charge. Unfortunately, pain and suffering cannot be awarded you for the hassle of dealing with this sort of poor service. I must also mention that a jacket that is handmade by a professional, whether he or she is sewing the same stitch all day or making bespoke suits, should be done correctly. Good luck.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
If it were just the under arm seam I would probably try to get a discount either on this jacket or my next order (assuming you want to order from them again) and live with it. The misaligned pockets however are a deal breaker. Breast pockets on a jacket like this are the first thing the eye is drawn so when they are off it pretty much ruins everything else about the jacket and suggests you got it for a good deal at the slightly irregular JC Penny outlet. I would definitely send it back

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
thanks aLL

as i've stated above, there is an UPDATE---now i've been informed by Dyer leather that Dyer will be making a new replacement jacket in thicker leather. glad to report it, and will report back once i get the replacement. :D

skibum69

New in Town
Wow, I'd have to agree that the jacket should be replaced, obviously missed by any quality control. The bunched up leather is a flaw as well.

I'll happily pay multiple times the $$ for my next custom jacket and be assured it's what I want and top shelf for quality and construction.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
it was a bummer skibum

yes skibum, the jacket was not too cool, but hopefully they will get it right the second time around...they're using the regular thickness leather this time, and are aware about not having the other defects...so i'm keeping postive that they'll get it right

but definitely, it's worth the peace of mind to pay more if you must, and know you can trust what you'll be getting

i should be getting the replacement next week and will apprise all how it is

skibum69

New in Town
good luck with that, I'm in the planning stages of my next jacket-probably a 3/4 length in goat with pants for dual/adventure motorcycle riding built from a 50's style

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
bE it RESOLVeD!

well, it has been resolved...and i'll say the remake jacket i got today was as beautiful as i had hoped Dyer Leather motorcycle jackets would be when i first ordered.

i thank bruce, the owner, for coming through and making sure the remake was superb. at some point i'll see if i can take a few pix.

one thing i can say from all this is, do NOT order the lighter leather when getting a Dyer jacket. i think some of the tailoring errors were, if not caused, then exacerbated by, the overflexibility of the lighter leather they use...just go for the normal weight cowhide, which is wonderful

and, in fact, it's not heavy at all...i special ordered a nylon liner vs. their wool, since i live in lalaland, and the jacket is not too heavy, except for the current heaTwave, which even a shirt is too much for

anyway, happy to report everything turned out. appreciate all those who responded to the thread, and cared.

johnnyjohnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou