Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

depression-era style photoshoot

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
bengtsson.jpg

by Carl Bengtsson

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Looks allot like some of the photos by Walker Evans. You can clearly see his influence in these photos. 1930s everyone was pretty thin. Not much food around in those days.

Harry Lime

Suspended
Some of those are so dead-on they fooled me (the women in particualr look quite authentic.) The guys are a give-away, but even a couple of them pass the test. Interesting photo.

Harry Lime

shamus

Suspended
What are those for? It's a nice look. Half of them look casted right. The guy with the flames tatoo really doesn't fit.

Again... what is this for?

Finding ones metal, meddle, medal - oh darn.

It re-enforces the ideas that:
1) everything was in black & white back then!
2) no one smiled during the depression!

It reminded me of the photo essays that the feds did to record the times.
B&W film with correct lighting can evoke a mood better than color film.

These don't seem to be ordinary siver nitrate prints are these paladium or another metal?
METTLE?
Sincerely,

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
They strike me as obviously bogus and pretentiously self-important. Most of these models look nothing like real Depression era folk and a lot of the clothes don't seem real. And the almost-certainly digital sepia effect and studiedly "ugly" background are wrong.

Maybe this could fool some people, but it's very superficial, and shows none of the poginant reality that you see in Walker Evans, Dorothea Lange, etc.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I'm not so sure...

Two of the girls and maybe two of the guys look spot on! Here is an original photo of an imagrent mother in the early 30's.

250px-Lange-MigrantMother02.jpg

sims03.jpg

image_depression.jpg

Now, the ones I feel are very accurate:

deppresion30ym.jpg

We often think that people looked different then. In some cases they did but, we see how people looked in movies and they are very different then who are in movies today. I have met some people who look some what like stars of the 30's and 40's, they're out there just in modern clothes and if done up right, they'd look perfect! The film industry isn't looking for Gene Harlows or Cary Grants today. Most of the normal photos taken by families and media of the 30's show how some people can look out right modern as you can see in some of the photos from the Depression.

=WR=

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
the point of these photos isn't to 'fool' the viewer into thinking they're real vintage photos. it's just a photoshoot inspired by that type of photography. and i agree that people haven't really changed that much. styling is everything. i sometimes see girls in jeans and trainers who could be jaw-droppingly stunning in a 40s dress. makes me sad it does.

incidentally, i think the third freckle-faced lady from the left is cute. in an inbred sort of way.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Interesting photo spread. Biggest detractor for me are their eyes and a couple of their faces. . . they just don't have that weathered & beaten look.
But on another note - viva la freckles!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like these photos. The woman with the mink color is absolutely lovely, and I love her hair. The first picture of the women and girls is intriguing; it hints at a larger story. All in all, an interesting and inspired fashion editorial.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Wild Root said:
PS. Vanessa, they did have soap in the 30's :p

Ha. I wasn't implying that they should look unwashed - just that to me, there's something off about their eyes. . . something too similar to the heroin chic fashion spreads from the 90's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy