Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depression Glass.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Ok, I finally did it... I bought some Depression Glass! I found 8 plates and a set of three bowls in the popular green color. The plates are Block Optic pattern... my favorite and the bowls are plain but, are the same shade of green.

I found them at a local haunt of mine... and they were reasonably priced for the set of plates and the bowls. And there was 15% off in the booth so, I got a deal. Since I'm living on a Depression Era budget, I did put them on lay-a-way and I picked them up yesterday! I have always wanted to pick up some Depression Glass and these are the first parts of the little collection. I'm going to focus on the Block Optic pattern, it's my favorite.

So, I will post some photos soon, anyone else here have Depression Glass? Share it if ya got it!;)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I have some block optic depression glass. In fact I have boxes of different styles of depression glass packed away in my attic, waiting for me to unpack them and put them in my living room built-ins, after I finally finish scraping and painting them. Most of my depression glass belonged to my grandmother. My favorite are the pink colors, and I have some of the old cafe pieces. I also have a few cubist pieces, from my grandmother, and I am always looking for more of that style. The cubist style is my favorite. I also have a lot of hobnail milk glass pieces that I inherted from a great aunt. I love them all because they're a connection to people who were important to me who are no longer here.

A word of warning about depression glass - I'm sure you won't have this problem because I don't think you own a microwave, but don't put them in the microwave. I know not to do this, but without thinking once, I put a depression dish in the microwave. Depression glass has a lot of air bubbles in it this will cause the glass to break in the microwave. I just wasn't thinking and was on auto pilot when I did it. It didn't even take 5 seconds before I heard a loud pop and the dish had shattered.

But, after many years, that dish is the only I've ever broken. With a little care and handwashing only (it's much gentler on the glass), you'll get lots of use from your depression glass for many years. Before it was all packed up, I used mine all the time.

Foofoogal

Banned
As a dealer I started out mostly as a glass and doll dealer. As I have sold so much of both over the years I am now a general dealer since of course I am a collector of anything that remotely catches my eye and is old. Though I am shut down for a few months at least till I move and get settled. It is funny that I never wanted to be a glass dealer but ended up one. I have truthfully only broke one piece over the years. 1
Congratulations on your find. This pattern came in alot of different pieces so it will be fun to find different ones.
Anyone collecting depression glass should be aware that there are repros galore out there.
I only wish we got freebies like during the last depression. Oatmeal, soap, movie attendance give aways.
Block Optic:green, yellow, crystal, pink. Hocking 1929-1933. Lovely simple pattern.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Nice! I love depression glass, my favorite pattern is Modern Tone in cobalt blue, I have found Ebay is a great place to find big lots of each pattern.

Foofoogal

Banned
I love them all because they're a connection to people who were important to me who are no longer here.

I have lots of glass like I stated but one reason I started collecting is I went to a garage sale with my mom. (she was hooked on them and I was young and thought she was nuts)
Around May of 1984 it was. Somehow her and the ancient old man (who stated he was a dealer in his younger years) talked me into buying 2 old dolls and a box of glass.
2 months later my mom took a nap and did not wake up. She had a heart attack in her sleep.
Little did I know this would kick me into high gear to somehow get close to her.
Long story but I ended up with at least 40 dolls and collected everything from that point.
I still have the Madame Alexander doll and other doll from that day.
The glass in the box of about 12 pieces total maybe has now grown into my personal collection of service for 12 for each of my 2 children.
It is not depression glass but from the 1950s. It is Federal Heritage pattern.
I have some gold trimmed but have never seen the original green and blue that it is supposed to come in and I have been looking since 1984. Even went to Canada and looked where it is supposed to be more but could not find a thing.
I think during this time the small things we cherish can bring us much comfort and I know they are only things but hope people will be able to hold on to their family things.
I was able to come to better terms with my stuff and sell lots of it but did keep the originals connected to my mom.
[huh]

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Chipped edges

I have several depression glass plates that have tiny chips on the edge that are almost sharp enough to cut yourself on, tho you can't see them very well. Is it possible to have the edges ground down very slightly to smooth them out, without damaging their value?

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Here's my first pieces... eight plates and the three bowls... large to small.

depressionglass.jpg

The green color is hard to see so, I stacked most of the plates and you can see a little of the green color in the thicker parts of the bowls. They sit on a 30s linen table cloth.

I read up on Depression Glass and found out that "Block Optic" isn't a pattern being reproduced! So, I know my stuff is the real deal. I also read that it was made between 1929 and 1933.

PS: Thanks for the microwave tip... however, I don't own one nor will ever. Not so much a period purist thing so much; I don't like radiation in my food or kitchen.:rolleyes:

Foofoogal

Banned
Some call those fleabites. If this will not work for you watch for a local antique or glass show. Many times there will be a glass grinder set up where for a nominal fee you can get them to fix them easily.
Now there is a difference between fleabite and chip though many don't seem to know or understand the dif. :eusa_doh:

I didn't mean to suggest your pattern is reproduced but some are. Nice start on the set.
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/AHCBLOG.htm

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Some items are reproduced, I read that after googling Depression glass. I read that Block Optic isn't currently reproduced. Funny thing is I was at a thrift shop once and saw a "Block Optic" plastic green martini glass! It looked like depression glass... then I picked it up and found it was plastic!:mad: :eusa_doh: lol

All I need is a few dinner plates, and a few odds and ends like a covered butter dish and a few refrigerator containers and I'm set!

Last month I had the burning sensation to start to collect Fire King Jadite... I started to figure that came out in the late 30s and used through the 40s into the 50s... I did pick up a nice Fire King "Swirl" mixing bowl... but, I figured I want to have more depression era type of dishes and such... so, the green Depression Glass won me over as the thing to collect... more of the period I'm trying to go for.

Mojito

One Too Many
Love Depression Glass - I haven't started collecting it, but intend to do so once I've a.) bought the new flat and b.) finished buying furniture. Love your pieces, Forgotten Man.

Here's one of my favourite Gazebo setups at the Gatsby Picnic in Napier this year - "Pink and Green Terraces", all set out with Depression Glass:

Napier2009363.jpg

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I don't really collect it, as such, however I do have a few pieces, two Vases, a Trifle Setting, and a Dressing Table Setting, I like the warmer tones of "Amber" and "Peach" as I think they suit my colour scheme at home

Actually, I do have one Chum who is positively Potty about the "Emerald Green" and will buy anything he sees, I have seen this vase in an "Icy Blue" and in "Emerald green" but I really do prefer this "Amber" Colour

3391269486_e3c8b25f7c.jpg

3390501427_db1a1da76c.jpg

3390571559_3700d06789.jpg

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I collect a set of depression glass produced in the 1930s(I cant find a specific date yet). Its marigold and the pattern is called honeycomb by the company Jeanette. Apparently its quite collectible because I cant find it very often! I just buy it beacause its a variation of orange(and it matches my Flroida souvenirs!).:D

edit: here is the pattern-http://www.suziemax.com/Hex-Optic-Honeycomb-Depression-Glass.html And after reading the blurb about it, I find my color was made in the 1950s! ah! oh well its still pretty.

Samantha

Foofoogal

Banned
Binkie, gorgeous Art Deco glass. Your Walther and Sohne Art Deco Windsor Vase is amazing. I adore anything Art Deco and just picked me up 2 fabulous matching lamps.
I have a dealer friend who sells the best if you ever want more.

The marigold honeycomb pattern seems to be hard to find in good condition. The tumblers and pitchers are hard to find.
Actually, Jeannette made the colored Hex Optic originally in the late 1920s from 1928 to 1932, and then made the iridescent marigold during the 1950s so technically it is a depression glass pattern.
I love hearing what people collect in glass.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Foofoogal said:
Your Walther and Sohne Art Deco Windsor Vase is

I know I must sound rather silly, but I didn't know what Walther & Sohne was, thanks for letting me know Foofoogal.

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/glass_encyclopedia/artdeco_glass/walther_glass/waltherglass_home.htm

3391353888_1ab50eba5e.jpg

Triffle Setting

Easter Trifle recipe

Line dish with sliced chocolate Swiss roll (bough at the Grocery shop)

Mix up Cherry Jelly (Jell-O) (you can add a liqueur)

pour over Swiss roll slices and allow to set

mix up chocolate mouse mix ( I use white wings) and pour over the jelly and sponge base

Finish with a layer of whipped cream and decorate with tiny candy Easter eggs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR