Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Depression Glass.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My former girlfriend and I began collecting depression glass back in the late seventies or very early eighties. She had just started her first job and I was in grad school, so neither of us had much money. But the stuff was dirt cheap back then. You could still find depression glass in almost any thrift shop or goodwill store for less than a dollar per piece. We collected Amber Sharon, Amber Madrid, Pink Dogwood and Aquamarine Swirl. Over the next ten or so years, (with me helping) she pretty much amassed "mature" collections of each of those patterns.

I hadn't thought about depression glass in quite some time until I stumbled onto this thread. Reading the posts here brought back some great memories and I'm glad that there is still such an interest in collecting glass.

AF

Foofoogal

Banned
Aquamarine Swirl is one I kick myself that I didn't collect. I love that color. If you ever think you don't like depression glass just find a local glass show sometimes and check out the depression glass dealer. It is just lovely all put together.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Getting a kick out of depression glass... I've been eating off of it since I picked it up the last week and I'm very happy. I get such a charge of eating off of plates that survived a Great Depression! And it makes me laugh too that most of this stuff I see is sitting under black lights at high-end antique shops glowing and there it is, in my kitchen in the sink waiting for me to wash it... lol

Some styles are too fancy for daily use but, the Block Optic pattern is pretty daily I think... and it's deco! When this Depression is over, the glass will get a rest I think... then I'll collect Fire King Jadeite lol

-=R

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it's iridescent

it usually is listed as "carnival glass", try that and "cherries" and maybe it will pop up in Ebay...

I am a block optic girl too, green, for our picnics, but I also have quite a bit of cobalt blue as it goes with the dining room.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
Here is the pattern Hex optic in irridescant marigold:
honeycombset.jpg

And here is the pattern my dad collects(and that Im hoping to inherit one day!),Its called Iris and Herringbone, his is in irridescant marigold:
BP8QEBwmkKGrHgoOKigEjlLmbZRpBJ2QESS.jpg

Samantha

Teabag1927

Familiar Face
I just began a bit of a depression glass collecting binge, sort of weird for a kid of mere 16, i get lots of comments on it.

I recently scored a set of cubis green stuff, which is somewhat of a rare pattern, if my memory serves correctly it was manufactured between 1929-1933 ? I think those were the dates. It will go well with my period table setting as i just found hundreds of pre-depression and depression era flatware pieces on the cheap. It's a cool new part of the depression/wwII collecting hobby :)

( P.S.... Blast cobalt's popularity ! i want some !)

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
From my maternal grandmother...I believe they called it a cracker jar.
The glasses were premiums from oatmeal.
Pink cake plate.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
4 in the family, 4 colors, 16 place settings...

We have a glass doors, glass shelves showcase cabinet over my sewing counter in the dining area of our eat-in kitchen. There are four of us in our family, we each picked a pattern and color. Each pattern has four place settings plus a dessert. Mine is pink American Sweetheart, DH Chuck's is green Block Optic, DD Sarah has yellow Patrician, and DS Daniel's is blue Bubble. We do tea parties here on a pretty regular basis, so they are put into frequent use other than for just our own family usage.

We also have formerly 8, now 7 DG serving pieces-one was recently broken when it was displayed in Yosemite at their Heritage Holidays Art Deco event. Four patterns, in four colors, 2 pieces each. I need to look them up, I've forgotten the pattern names.

Glassware: water tumblers only in clear Rock Crystal and clear Manhattan- 8 each.

Will get pics taken soon to share here.

Foofoogal

Banned
The pink cracker or biscuit or cookie jar is choice Mayfair Open Rose by Hocking from 1931 to 1937.
The green and clear tumblers are also Anchor Hocking in Sandwich pattern from 1956 to 1960.
The Mayfair is reproduced but since you know where it came from much better.
Anchor Hocking pink plate in Princess pattern. (she must of been a princess to someone) from 1931-1935. lol

I cannot see the Candlewick so cannot comment.

Foofoogal

Banned
I started as a depression glass dealer mainly. I really think this stuff should be treasured. So many have been reproduced in droves. It is very hard to find the unique pieces anymore in mint condition and price is going up.
The sheer time factor and it changing hands back and forth is taking its toll on the good stuff.
Depression glass truly is a piece of history. As the economy went down people were grateful to get the brightly colored glass as gifts or premiums when they bought items from people who appreciated their business. The bright coloring was meant to cheer people up if you may.
It all still cheers me up when I see it. lol
---------------
chanteuseCarey: I love American Sweetheart and Rock Crystal is hugely popular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR