Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detachable Collars

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Detachable collar formal shirts

Hello all,

I am looking for a good detachable collar formal shirt for white tie. How are the Vintage Shirt company ones? Any other alternatives you'd recommend? I'm a 17-35/36 so vintage ones in my size don't pop up often...

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Marc,

Always a life saver ;)

I guest about $100-20 or so. I am wary of the Vintage shirt company ones being too costumey... I've never seen them in real life.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Belly Tank,

Thanks for the recommendation. I am quite tempted by them, in particular given their price compared to what else is out there. I was just wary since I've never seen one in person before.

I am torn between the boiled and the marcella fronted ones. Any thoughts?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The Vintage Shirt Co sell very good quality shirts. I've several from them and they're all well made and are standing up to regular wear and tear. I don't have the formal shirts you want to know about, so I can't make any claims for them other than by association.

And the VSC also has a range of high-waisted trousers (I've got their corduroy, white linen and moleskin ones) which are robust and good value in my opinion. Vintage purists may sniff at their overlock stitched seams, but I'm not so bothered about that small detail.

Succotash

New in Town
I just got one from 1931 for around 30 dollars from a local shop. Its the type that buttons up the back. Perfect fit and condition.

tightcollarman

New in Town
Imperial, stiff standing detachable collars

I see this is a rather old post, but thought I'd contribute my "two cents' worth" as well. I have a completely opposite point of view - I prefer the upright Imperial (also known as lap-front, or standing) collars, especially for vintage formal wear. I think they look incredibly handsome - you just have to get used to not turning or bending your head! They definitely force a stiff, formal demeanor - one of the reasons men in vintage 1890s portraits always looks so stiff!

Cobden said:
I'm with shindeco; having worn soft, starched, bent, wing and even imperial collars at various stages during my life, I'd say to get one the right size and (with stand up collars) starch the hell out of them. It can be a bit uncomfortable at first, but you do get used to it - infact, I find the studs more uncomfortable then the collar itself. But, most importantly perhaps, is that with a starched detachable collar it is smarter and doesn't run the risk of looking like a normal attached wing collar shirt (something I must admit I abhore).

That said, avoid imperial collars like the plague. They really do hurt to bu**ery!

Highlander

A-List Customer
I have a few collars from Classic Old West styles and have worn them. River Junction Trading company has some too:
collars-celluloid.jpg

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Collar rant...

I regularly wear detachable collared shirts. I have my tailor make them up for me and they fit gorgeously! They're just such a pleasure. I had a hell of a time finding respectable front collar studs and a back collar stud to go with my turn-down collars but I finally did thanks to a friend at the Costumer's College in California who had some from his deceased mentor (who left him a great deal of antique jewelry which he reproduces, he is a jeweler of no mean talent). I finally found my front collar studs (gold fill, gold, brass, silver, and silver with rhodium plating) at the Pasadena Swap-Meet for an extremely reasonable sum. I plan on returning soon to get myself a silver back collar stud so that I can wear my stand up collars with my silver and white-gold jewelry as well. I detest mixing metal tones! Anyhow, my first detachable collar shirt that I had made came out gorgeously as I said, and it was a tunic shirt which I wear continually to go riding in. Next up is an unbuttoning model with single cuffs, fused breast and detachable full imperial collar! Probably around December! Were you aware that they've ceased production of linene and celluloid collars now?! Its HORRIBLE! I'll now be entirely dependent upon my tailor to supply me with collars excepting the British shirt link though I don't know that the difference in price is equitable for me as compared to my tailor's rates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn