Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Detachable Collars

shindeco

A-List Customer
I've got some of the Amazon Drygoods collars. They're disposable, cardboard collars as Orgetorix points out. They work very well as long as you're used to really stiff collars. I've never had a problem with them ripping. You wear them 3 or 4 times and then throw them out -- that's what they were designed for.

Here are some details to further Orgetorix's other points:

Check the stand on the collar of the shirt you want to modify (that's the part of the collar that stands up, the part you'd want to keep). On most of my band collared shirts, the collar is only seven eighths of an inch at the highest point. My attached collar shirts are about an inch and three eighths. It's the front button hole that's going to be the one at issue.

Then check the height of the collar you want to attach. If the front of the collar is higher than the front of the stand of the shirt, you're good to go. If you need to reduce the height of the stand, you'll have to leave about a quarter of an inch above the button hole. (I would say that's the minimum.) Do the maths and see if your collar will fit without the band showing.

Baron Kern

New in Town
Detachable Standup/Imperial collar

Hey all, two new purchases on ebay:

2_21_SHRT1_082.jpg

2_21_SHRT1_084.jpg

2_21_SHRT2_088.jpg

now I am trying to find a nice stand up collar also known as an Imperial collar to go with it. But after a good deal of google searches and some outdated links I cant seem to find anyone in the US who sells such a collar. Does anyone Have any ideas where to find a collar like.

Collar for reference:
formaltuxedocutawayfrocksummer.jpg

co101.jpg

Baron Kern

New in Town
Oh wow thanks all for such prompt replies.

Maybe I should order that one from the vintage shirt co, they they do appear to be a bit pricey, but for how often I plan to wear the thing....

River Junction Trade these and the one from dennys look kind of cheap, Im grateful for pointing them out to me though, so thanks :)

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Baron Kern said:
River Junction Trade these and the one from dennys look kind of cheap...
Did you not see the Perry collars from River Junction? "These are by far the most comfortable removable collars available allowing the wearer to press and starch to taste. Positively the finest collars that can be made. Crafted from two ply cotton and hand washable in Sizes 16 to 22."

collarstandupcloth.jpg

So, fine cloth detachable collars of the style that you are looking for, in a large variety of sizes, sold in the U.S. per your interest, and also (if you click the link provided) gold-plated collar studs, should you like something a bit nicer than the typical plastic ones available elsewhere.

Schofields

Familiar Face
the last company that makes the celluloid collars closed down, so you may not get what you order (i didnt last time i did from another store). vintage shirt co. is a good alternative; you really dont need the "special laundering" they suggest. collars used to be "boil starched" (slightly different than dip starching) which you can easily do on your stove top. the stiffness lasts about 10 wears varying on how often you wear it. and thats w/o ironing.

another solution are the "linene" collars, or paper collars. theyre more durable than they sound. heavy stiff cardstock with a light layer of linen laminated onto its surface. the only problem is that after a few wears the button holes get a bit bent up like cardboard but if you wear your tie correctly with it, it cant be seen. originally these collars were meant to be worn only a few times and then thrown away. ive gotten about 6 wears out of one myself. you can get them at:

http://www.amazondrygoodscollarsandcuffs.com/index.html

Baron Kern

New in Town
Slim Portly said:
Did you not see the Perry collars from River Junction? "These are by far the most comfortable removable collars available allowing the wearer to press and starch to taste. Positively the finest collars that can be made. Crafted from two ply cotton and hand washable in Sizes 16 to 22."

collarstandupcloth.jpg

So, fine cloth detachable collars of the style that you are looking for, in a large variety of sizes, sold in the U.S. per your interest, and also (if you click the link provided) gold-plated collar studs, should you like something a bit nicer than the typical plastic ones available elsewhere.

Oh my, you know I did not even see these cloth collars, I just saw the cellulide ones. Actually I quite fancy these then, I think i may just give one a try and see. Thanks I really appreciate it. :)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Schofields said:
ah yes, i almost forgot:

CLICK

I just read through their descriptions. I've managed to wash, starch and curl both cotton and linen collars just fine myself at home without any special equipment. No doubt the equipment would make it easier, but it is possible otherwise.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I've tried starching my det collars but the end result is far from satisfying. A great deal of dust sticks onto it and the layers do not adhere. You require a high pressure medium heat collar press to be able to get the collars to the condition that they came out of the box. that's why I send them off to be starched and since I do not wear them often except for special formal ocassions, it is OK.

I also have the washable type but the winged ones are too soft for my liking.

DerMann

Practically Family
Charlie Huang said:
I've tried starching my det collars but the end result is far from satisfying. A great deal of dust sticks onto it and the layers do not adhere. You require a high pressure medium heat collar press to be able to get the collars to the condition that they came out of the box. that's why I send them off to be starched and since I do not wear them often except for special formal ocassions, it is OK.

I also have the washable type but the winged ones are too soft for my liking.

Bollocks, you're just not putting enough effort into it.

I managed to wash and restarch my Imperial collar with relative ease once I got the process down.

Mix a good amount of (corn or rice, heard rice was better) starch into boiling water to produce a goop of sorts. Apply thin layers to a freshly washed (still somewhat moist) collar, and go over them with a hot NON STICK iron (a good iron makes a huge difference), and don't forget to press down fairly heavily (trying to press out the water and fuse the two plies together). I found that putting a layer of cloth (towel, t-shirt, etc) between the collar and the iron keeps the iron from sticking while the starch is wet, which prevents the starch from scorching . Continually add starch paste to both sides until you are left with a stiff, straight collar.

Next is sort of tricky and requires a bit of handywork. While pressing down on the extreme end of the collar, pull the end straight up with some vigour. Repeat a few times, and lightly mist the collar if necessary. Couldn't quite get this to work with my wing tip collar, but if I had the time, I'm sure I could coax it.

With this process I ended up with a collar that was starched far better than new.

Also, as for the original question, I purchased my collar from http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/. The collars are high quality cotton and are two-ply. The only thing I have against The Vintage Shirt Co., is that they only sell their formal bibbed shirt in the sleeve length of 35, and considering the price, it should at least be sold in a 36 or 37 so that they could be altered shorter, instead of having to have them lengthened. Also, the cuffs are tight around the wrists, at least for me.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
I found it was too much hassle for just a few collars. I prefer to leave it to the pros.

Granted that the Imperial is easier to starch but I wear fold down ones the most and they would turn a chore into a Crystal Maze puzzle...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Charlie Huang said:
I found it was too much hassle for just a few collars. I prefer to leave it to the pros.

Granted that the Imperial is easier to starch but I wear fold down ones the most and they would turn a chore into a Crystal Maze puzzle...

I wear detachable fold down collars of various styles almost exclusively, and between three and seven days a week, so with laundering being priced per collar it's best to do it myself. Plus I enjoy doing things myself, though I can understand it's not everyone's cup of tea. You are correct that doing fold down collars can be a bit trickier, but I've found it depends on the curvature on the top of the stand. Most of my collars iron quite easily. With a stand up collar this is a moot point.

DerMann said:
Mix a good amount of (corn or rice, heard rice was better) starch into boiling water to produce a goop of sorts. Apply thin layers to a freshly washed (still somewhat moist) collar, and go over them with a hot NON STICK iron (a good iron makes a huge difference), and don't forget to press down fairly heavily (trying to press out the water and fuse the two plies together). I found that putting a layer of cloth (towel, t-shirt, etc) between the collar and the iron keeps the iron from sticking while the starch is wet, which prevents the starch from scorching . Continually add starch paste to both sides until you are left with a stiff, straight collar.

I haven't decided if I like rice or corn starch better. I've been using rice, but next time round I'm giving corn another go with another method I've found in an old housekeeping book.

I'm curious about the starch goop. I got that wallpaper paste consistency the first time I tried starching hot (I usually do it cold), and it stuck in globs to the collar which burned onto the iron. How do you apply the paste evenly?

The housekeeping book I mentioned says to boil the starch for a half hour stirring continuosly, and adding either a small piece of spermaceti, white wax, or granulated sugar which keeps the iron from sticking and imparts the glossy sheen. This is what I'll try next time I starch some of my collars.

Regards,
Nick

Schofields

Familiar Face
the starch goop: lay down your collar on a towel and make it as flat as possible. press flat from the middle towards both ends and the excess should be taken care of.

you might even try throwing in a dash of salt to your boil mixture. also, i hear white bar soap gives collars an excellent sheen.

DerMann

Practically Family
Nick D said:
I haven't decided if I like rice or corn starch better. I've been using rice, but next time round I'm giving corn another go with another method I've found in an old housekeeping book.

I'm curious about the starch goop. I got that wallpaper paste consistency the first time I tried starching hot (I usually do it cold), and it stuck in globs to the collar which burned onto the iron. How do you apply the paste evenly?

The housekeeping book I mentioned says to boil the starch for a half hour stirring continuosly, and adding either a small piece of spermaceti, white wax, or granulated sugar which keeps the iron from sticking and imparts the glossy sheen. This is what I'll try next time I starch some of my collars.

Regards,
Nick

It's troublesome to try and get a collar wet with starch and water. What I do is vigorously rub the starch goop into the collar, then pull it between two of my fingers, effectively removing all of the excess starch and water. After the initial layer, I just usually spoon on a dollop or less onto the collar, then massage it in, scrape off the excess, and repeat until I've a solid piece of collar.

The wax sounds interesting and it makes sense. Might also allow it to hold up better against sweat and the like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn