Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dishes Men Like (Food!)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Hey, it's the actual title of the cook book!

recipespg8.jpg

Does anyone here cook with vintage recipes? I was thinking it might be fun (or maybe not, I'll soon find out) to post an old recipe, and then whoever wants to can follow it and then post their pictures of the final results! Serve it up on vintage plates, even better!

Care to play? Here's one:

Roast Beef Hash in Cups

1/3 cup chopped onion
2/3 cup diced celery
2 tbspn fat
1 1/2 cup coarsely ground left-over roast beef*
1 cup finely diced cooked potatoes
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tspn salt
2 tspns Worcestershire sauce
1 cup evaporated milk

Cook onion and celery in hot fat until golden. Add to remaining ingredients, mix well. Pack in well-greased muffin pans. Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) 25 to 30 minutes.

Actually, if you can post any vintage recipe with the final results (your own cooking and pics) that would be most delicious!

*In my house we never have left over roast beef!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
The only recipe that I have that has been in our family for years calls for DreamWhip (powder like coolwhip) instead of modern refrigerated coolwhip.

When I lived in San Diego, and made this cake, trying to find dreamwhip in the grocery stores there was near impossible. I finally found it on a top shelf of a store called Vons and the box was covered in dust.

Sorry, I can't share the recipe because of family promises and my Aunt writing "Do not give to anyone" on her recipes.

..but I am sure there other recipes on the box.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
PA Dancer said:
The only recipe that I have that has been in our family for years calls for DreamWhip (powder like coolwhip) instead of modern refrigerated coolwhip.

When I lived in San Diego, and made this cake, trying to find dreamwhip in the grocery stores there was near impossible. I finally found it on a top shelf of a store called Vons and the box was covered in dust.

Sorry, I can't share the recipe because of family promises and my Aunt writing "Do not give to anyone" on her recipes.

..but I am sure there other recipes on the box.

Ohhh but can you take pics of the finished recipe? :) My grandmother made rehab-worthy chocolate cake with Cool Whip. One bite and you were finished. Mmmmm

dashiell

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
rehab-worthy chocolate cake

This, I have never heard as a cake descriptor. I admit being intrigued. If you have that recipe, I would sacrifice myself so far as to turn on my oven during August to play the game.

lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
dashiell said:
This, I have never heard as a cake descriptor. I admit being intrigued. If you have that recipe, I would sacrifice myself so far as to turn on my oven during August to play the game.

lol

The recipe was never recorded before she passed away (RIP grandma). I do know that she put chocolate pudding in it!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
VegasMike said:
ohhhh, that Roast Beef Hash actually sounds really good :)
Now if only my kitchen was big enough to cook in.....stupid tiny apartment :p

Come now, don't let the size of your kitchen deter you! We're talking Roast beef HASH. Mmmmmm :)

dostacos

Practically Family
as a cook my mom made a great bookkeeper:eek:

on the other hand she had six fingers and warts...oh wait, wrong topic:eek:

she is a fantastic BAKER!!!!! all of her recipes come from her Fathers side of the family [German, from Milwaukee] BAKERY:D

my dad's father had a BBQ sauce recipe that is fantastic, at least to the family:rolleyes: it's primary ingredient is sweet pickle juice. For at least 3 generations [Grandpa and all his bros and sisters were put up for adoption, good news on that is we did not lose the family tree, we go back to 1695]we ate our burgers with sweet pickles instead of dill so sweet pickle juice was available. Did I also mention that Dear old dad was an OKIE? don't know if the recipe is more from poor or more from OKIE[hey he was a PROUD OKIE] but it is good on ribs and burgers and hotdogs oh my:D

Josephine

One Too Many
I had quite the stack of old cookbooks like that, but I gave most away as they were just "taking up room". :/ I kept a few...

Well, I could only find two, one is "New Recipes for Good Eating" (softcover) put out by Crisco from 1948, and "The Family Circle Cake and Cooky Cookbook" from 1953. And cooky isn't a typo. :) Most of the ones I had were put out by appliance makers or brand food companies to show how thier product could be made.

I also have a 1971 revised and expanded reissue of the 1934 Hershey's cookbook.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'll occasionally whip up a wartime British dish called "Woolton Pie". It was meant as a savoury dish that used items that were not rationed, so it used mostly mixed vegetables. The cookbook I have with the recipe is called "The Victory Cookbook" by Marguerite Patton O.B.E., who was Britain's wartime "Julia Child" (for lack of a better description). She doesn't exactly get specific with the recipe, as there were many variations, but she describes it as being full of whatever vegetables are available with a cheesy sauce and topped with mashed potato. I prepare it in a 3" deep baking dish and I use cream of cheddar soup (concentrate) for the sauce. I'll top the mashed potatoes with grated cheddar and throw it in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees. Once in a while I'll thow in some off-ration meat (like venison) to make it even more savoury.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
I cannot cook this week...its 101 in my house at 7 at night....

but if i make something I will contribute...I too have a whole slew of vintage recipies and maybe if I made them....I would suddenly be popular!

;)

That would be great!

Everyone loves gals who cook! ;) lol

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Parsnips, potatoes, onions and cabbage. Wow!

23037072.jpg

It's my "first snow of the year" dinner.*

* Wish I were making it next week!

Oh gosh, I think I want some NOW! Snow, too. I like winter.

I'm looking through my old magazines because I can't find the recipe I plan to use. I want to show their pic and mine after I make it. grrr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy