Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dishes Men Like (Food!)

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Well, maybe I should tell you about what I wanted to make for one of my Psych classes one Halloween--what jumps to mind when I mention a Jello mold the size and shape of a human brain?:eek: lol

What jumps to mind? The fact that I haven't made a Jello brain yet! A *huge* oversight on my part, I assure you. lol

Viola said:
AAAAGH! Those things are the works of deranged minds! Nightmarish!

You should be stopped before you can bring that kind of horror into the world.

Too late for that, dear Miss Viola ... you'd have to stop Spam, first. No one can stop Spam.

skwerl-hat, imoldfashiones, PSG ... yes, Lileks is a great read! I especially like the comics and ads, but that's another thread, I suppose.

I can't wait to see your pictures, PSG!

Diamondback said:
EEEK! *runs out of the Lounge screaming*

Come back, Diamondback! Alright, alright, I won't make pork-based Jello with corn and sweet peas floating at random intervals. I don't have any vintage recipe books, but how about some old-fashioned baking powder biscuits? I know those have been around for an age, and I make them often, anyway.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to tell you all...

if dashiell is not making the jello mold...then I am.

Although mine is not the 50's style ones. I have 1929 recipies for salads in gelatine..you see, when electric refrigerators became the 'new kitchen helper', dishes that needed to be kept or made cold, were all the rage.

Status symbol and all....

I actually have 8 small vintage individual molds and will be making some of these for guests at my next dinner party.

tomato aspic anyone? ;)

By this same token, ices, frappes, and other frozen things were also the height of late 20's early 30's domestic fashion.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Sorry to tell you all...

if dashiell is not making the jello mold...then I am.

Although mine is not the 50's style ones. I have 1929 recipies for salads in gelatine..you see, when electric refrigerators became the 'new kitchen helper', dishes that needed to be kept or made cold, were all the rage.

Status symbol and all....

I actually have 8 small vintage individual molds and will be making some of these for guests at my next dinner party.

tomato aspic anyone? ;)

By this same token, ices, frappes, and other frozen things were also the height of late 20's early 30's domestic fashion.

Ah, Miss Neecerie ... you are a champion! It seems a Jello mold from the 20s may be more palatable, though I'm not sure how a salad in gelatin would work. I await your instructive photos ... and thanks for the info!

Now, off to work I go ...

:)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like sparkling Jello made with...just Jello and ginger ale or Sprite. NO MEATS, VEGETABLES, OR MISCELLANEOUS FRUITS! :p

Maybe a little fruit juice. No chunks of anything, that's scary. lol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tin Jello Mold

I use it now and then - but no chunkie Hickies, thanks. :)

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A club grinder from Mancinos. It's a toasted sub sandwich. I suppose it would be easy to make at home. They get their name from the guys in the shipyards that used to order them for lunch, or somehing like that. I could live on them.

dean

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Friday's attempt, a Mexican chicken in a clay pot thing, was really awful and looked worse. Saturday thus became a Return to Safer Territory - pile of ribs from the grill. Last night was a Labor Day party at a friend's house... so I am anxious to see the pictures here later that you guys do! :)

No pressure.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Hope you're hungry!

I have set the table, in preparation for the DISH to be served...

set-table.jpg

I made PSG's 1950's Savory Beef Over Rice. As I mentioned, I can't find the original recipe or picture. I used Maine raised beef, pearl onions, seasonings, white rice and peas. Please, pull up a chair and have a seat...

pull-seat.jpg

It sure smells good! I'm sorry I didn't serve milk and sliced white bread with the meal but I'm watching my figure and all...

served-1.jpg

I served it exactly as it was in the original picture with the recipe- an island of rice in the middle of the platter surrounded by peas with the savory beef, onions and sauce on top. The beef was so tender it fell apart when I served it, so that was disappointing (I wanted perfect cubes!)

Dsc_0009.jpg

It was very good! :D

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
i only came in for a while...in an attempt to escape the mini hoard of small children at my mothers house.....3 under 4's and a swimming pool.....with assorted parents and grandparents....:eek:

But its 105 degrees at my own house and no a/c....so i suffer the kids instead...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Now THAT looks yummy!

Not big on peas, but hey...

Is there pie? :)

Peas and the 1950's, you can't have one without the other! lol

About the pie, well, uh, I er. OK, here's the deal.

My no eating after 7:00 p.m. or three hours before bed thing was off all weekend (all three days of it). I sorta went to the store after dinner and kind of bought two small locally made pies (one apple, the other chocolate cream) and somewhat ate a large portion of both. :p

Hey, I should have taken pics of them and said I baked them! :eusa_doh:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
KilroyCD said:
Wow! That looks delicious! I may have to try that recipe sometime.

Thanks, KilroyCD. It's very simple to make! Here's what I used:

1 pound beef
1 cup rice (before cooking)
2 cups peas
1 cup pearl onions
Salt & Spices
1 tbspn butter

I stewed the beef for four hours and then thickened the sauce with cornstarch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy