Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dishes Men Like (Food!)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I've looked everywhere and I can't find it!

Well, I've made it before to recall the gist of it and I do add my own flavor to it, so stay tuned for PSG's Savory Meat Dish!

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
A sandwich.

May I also point out that the dishes featured on the front cover of that book would result is many tummy aches and make one grow rapidly? I'll take a green salad.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
A sandwich.

May I also point out that the dishes featured on the front cover of that book would result is many tummy aches and make one grow rapidly? I'll take a green salad.

Oh you're so silly! At a potluck, you bring a dish. A salad would be perfect! :)

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Hmm....

My dinner....

sandwich.jpg

How is this for a pot luck?

Turkey and Roast beef on white.

Mayonnaise at the bottom and Mustard at the top. The green salad is in between. We don't have any sandwich lettuce so salad lettuce is the only option.

dashiell

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
Is anyone else cooking and posting a pic of their yummy dish for the first annual Display Case Labor Day Potluck? :D

I'm sorely tempted to make an outrageous gelatin mold with unexpected ingredients just for you, PSG!
lol

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Why do I get the feeling we're all better off not knowing on this one?:eek:

Sorry, Diamondback ... you'd have to have read The Gallery of Regrettable Food ... and you probably don't want to know!

lol

Well, maybe I should tell you about what I wanted to make for one of my Psych classes one Halloween--what jumps to mind when I mention a Jello mold the size and shape of a human brain?:eek: lol

EDIT: If I end up cookin' this weekend, and if I can recover the camera from my relatives, I'll post pics.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
dashiell said:
The Gallery of Regrettable Food
lol

AAAAGH! Those things are the works of deranged minds! Nightmarish!

You should be stopped before you can bring that kind of horror into the world.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
hooray for the gallery of regrettable food! there are some dishs of which the very memory makes me shudder.
one thing i love now i make nearly every day is unleavened bread. Its so simple to make and delicious with butter and honey :-D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
Hmm....

My dinner....

sandwich.jpg

How is this for a pot luck?

Turkey and Roast beef on white.

Mayonnaise at the bottom and Mustard at the top. The green salad is in between. We don't have any sandwich lettuce so salad lettuce is the only option.

Dishes Men Make!

A good meal is not a meal solemnly on it's ingredients but how it is presented.

That is just fine!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
dashiell said:
Sorry, Diamondback ... you'd have to have read The Gallery of Regrettable Food ... and you probably don't want to know!

lol

I'm a huge fan of lileks! I also love to look at many of my old recipe books for entertainment value. lol However, some of the recipes are wonderful, or can be with a little fudging. For example, I use butter instead of lard.

I just bought a vintage recipe box and it's filled with hand written recipes from the 1950's and all sound delightful. (I'm thinking they were family secrets once.)

I'm hosting a gathering (lunch) for my family from NY this fall and am doing all 1950's. (I called my grandmother to ask her for some advice and she replied, very shocked, "I wasn't even born yet during the 50's." lol) I've decided to have some ornamental food like a Jello mold, I mean, I think they've very fun for decor purposes and maybe even taste good provided they aren't made with pig intestines http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/jello/). I'm also going to make a sandwich loaf but I won't frost it (http://www.foodmigration.com/2005/08/so-retro-sandwich-loaf.html) and a meatloaf served sliced & cold. Some good inspiration is Horna and Hardart's Automat recipes (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0609610740/ref=nosim?tag=thekitchenlink.)

Think of Aunt Bee or June Cleaver's cooking. Every time I watch dinner being served on Leave it to Beaver or Andy Griffith I get HUNGRY! (I bought "Aunt Bee's Cookbook" and I do not recommend it. You're better off buying an actual vintage recipe book.)

My deceased grandmother had TWO kitchens in her house- one upstairs, the other in her basement and she loved to cook so much that she often ran up and down to tend to dishes in both. Some of my best memories are in her kitchens. The one downstairs had a 1950's chrome dinette set and teal cabinets.

I think the biggest thing of the food from the 30's - 50's is that despite being prepared with some questionable ingredients that usually were affordable substitutes during tough times is that they were prepared with care and love.

I'll be cooking my dish and posting pics on Monday evening. I'm aiming for delicious but also true to 1950's presentation.

Dig into this until then:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5072432617521327887

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy